Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/09/2007, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

6 line wrasse to a good home

ok i just recently bought a mystery wrasse and he is being harassed by my six line wrasse. I love my six line and don't want to get rid of him, but it looks like i'm going to have to pick one, and i think i'm going to go with the more peaceful of the 2. he is about 2"long and IF i can somehow catch him it's free. I will certainly not turn down a frag but not needed. he eats well and looks really good. i hate to see him go. he gets along really well with the rest of my fish but seems to have it out for mmy new addition. let me know if your interested.
Old 11/09/2007, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

Pm sent
Old 11/09/2007, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

ok, I will take the Mystery wrasse. j/k

good luck with the new guy. cover your tank!
Old 11/09/2007, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

honestly unless i find some miraculous method of catching one of these fish, there going to have to hatch it out between them. anyone think adding another wrasse will distract the six line and chill him out? i'm begginf for suggestions here. i dont want to lose this guy.
Old 11/09/2007, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

In short, they are in the same family and it probably wont work itself out. You have to be careful mixing Wrasses. You will probably have to tear the tank down to get either one of them.

It *might* have worked if they were added at the same time but when one is established, you are looking for trouble. Its always easier to catch fish at night but both of those wrasses secrete their slime cacoon at night so they do not hang out in open water making it impossible to get at them.

Like i said, taking some rock out will probably be the only way. If the six-line is beating on the Mystery, he wont stop until one is dead and it will be the more expensive one. It always works that way.
Old 11/09/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

taking out rock is not an option
Old 11/09/2007, 08:09 PM
Premium Member

Then your only option is a fish trap which dont always work either. Theres no way to get either of those fish with a net.
Old 11/09/2007, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

even in such a large tank, wrasses (even small ones like six-lines and mystery wrasse) tend to use the whole tank. they dont just pick one area that is theirs, like a clownfish does. this means that they will most likely keep picking on each other.

honestly, the sixline should be easy to catch. they usually sleep in a hole in the LR with a silk like wrapping around them (or at least mine does). find where he sleeps and just use a glass or something and nudge him in while the lights are out. mine tends to go straight to the same place every day at lights out.
Old 11/09/2007, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

Will a 6 Line mesh well with a green coris wrasse?
Old 11/09/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

if im picturing the correct wrasse in my head, then there is a good chance they'll fight as well. not positive on that though.
Old 11/09/2007, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

ive heard of fish trying to catch a laser pointer.....kinda like a cat.
Old 11/10/2007, 11:37 AM
underfunded reefer

if that works...i want video

"Nemo me impune laccesit" - From Edinburgh Castle meaning "no one provokes me without punishment" (thanks to K for sparking that memory)
Old 11/11/2007, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

i made a soda bottle trap and put some brine shrimp in it, we'll see what happens
Old 11/11/2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

the clowns follow the laser pointer like a couple of idiots, but the wrasse is apparently smarter than me. he wont follow the laser pointer and swims cirles around the trap and wont go in. i'll try a different food in the trap but it's not looking good.
Old 11/12/2007, 07:59 AM
Registered Member

Well, put me on the list for the six line.
Old 11/12/2007, 04:04 PM
cnidarian vigilante

Sorry I don;t have any suggestions but I would keep trying to get the six line out. I had one and he wouldn't have any other wrasse in the tank.
Old 11/12/2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

i borrowed a trap from cindt and it's in the tank now. there all avoiding the trap but i'm sure the;ll get used to it. i'm hopeful. i havent seen the mystery in a few days so i'm a little worried but i have to keep trying.
Old 11/20/2007, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

so after not seeing the mystery wrasse for over a week, i finally caught the six line (thanks to cindy's trap) and minutes later i fed some mysis and the mystery not only came out, he was eating. so now i just need to find a new home for the six line.

Fio and ralphie, if your still interested let me know ASAP, i don't want to stress out the fish too much, he's in the trap right now in about a half a gallon of water, i'm going to try to find a place to put him, but i'm afraid he'll jump out of the frag tank. so the sooner the better. i'm off today.

I hate to be unfair, but if anyone else can take him today he's yours, i'd hate to stress the fish out. He is free to anyone who can take him.
Old 11/20/2007, 10:34 AM
underfunded reefer

good to hear scott....just throw him in the frag tank, have any eggcrate to throw over the top?

"Nemo me impune laccesit" - From Edinburgh Castle meaning "no one provokes me without punishment" (thanks to K for sparking that memory)
Old 11/20/2007, 10:45 AM
Registered Member

Scott,

Pm sent...

Ralph