Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/08/2006, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

Reefing alone

Are any of you fellow reefers out there like me.

My wife really likes the look of the tank, she likes having the tank in the dining room, but, she really does not participate in any reefing.

I am not really complaining I enjoy performing all of the maintenance and feeding and cleaning and fragging and rearranging. I just wish she would jump in a get interested in it like I am.
Old 09/08/2006, 10:16 AM
Rubberman

I think more often than not that's the case and why all my tanks are at the office.

SteveU
Old 09/08/2006, 10:16 AM
Moved In

Dan has very little interest in my tanks. He rarely even gets to see them with the lights on. Ok by me, he'd probably give me suggestions on how to do things.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 09/08/2006, 10:17 AM
i'm here for you two

I think it's nice with the spouses have the same interests. Me and eric both love having reef tanks and enjoy working on them. but i've seen the other half get very jelous of the tanks....

A wedding? I love weddings! Drinks all around! "Cap'n jack sparrow"
Old 09/08/2006, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

i think when my tank crashed and i dismantled it, it took gary 2.5 weeks to figure out that it wasn't serving as our bedroom nightlight any longer.
Old 09/08/2006, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

my parents like to look at it but the interest stops there. so when i go on vacations they have a horrified look on their faces. all they have to do is feed the fish (could get an automatic feeder), put water into a 5 gallon bucket a couple times a week (could drill holes through the walls to plum a auto top off) and scrub the glass if they feel like it (or just throw in 3 dozen more snails). But they would still have to feed my dopey 20 inch uniform reef eel.

There were plenty of fish in the sea, but i wasn't ready to hang up my tacklebox.
Old 09/08/2006, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

My three little ones love cleaning the glass, I had to make up a schedule so they did not fight over it. All of my kids like helping with the tank but unfortunatly I do most of the work on it when they are asleep, at night.
Old 09/08/2006, 10:42 AM
Dirty Reefer

Mrs Hobster likes the fish. She is not that crazy about SPS corals she likes the "ones that move"
Due to her long slender fingers and nails, she is the "head algae picker" (cause I just don't have the patience)

The Last Resort, The Eagles
Old 09/08/2006, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

With our newest tank, the 50 gallon. I told my wife this was 'her' tank. Although she loves to look at them and loves to shop for fish and corals, that's about all she does. Everything else is up to me, which is perfectly fine.
Old 09/08/2006, 06:59 PM
Premium Member

I still do all of the work, but the mrs has taken an interest in learning about it and is excited about MACNA in a few weeks
Old 09/08/2006, 07:15 PM
Moved out

Cindy just moved in with me and I'm trying to teach her to do a few things with the reef just in case something needs attention while I'm out of town. Trying to get her to learn anything about the reef is like pulling teeth for some reason. I know she said one time if she messed up the reef I'd KILL her.. So I think thats why she doesn't want to touch it. I guess I don't blame her
Old 09/08/2006, 07:53 PM
22 And Livin It Up!

my hubby thinks it is neat, but doesn't do anything with it. he will suggest a fish once and a while, but it will be like a parrotfish (for my reef) or some huge tang ect...

Click on My Gallery for pics of my tank
Click the little red house for my tank diary!!!
Old 09/08/2006, 09:16 PM
forever newbie

My tank is in the basement where nobody sees it but me. Sad, really because it is beatiful.
Old 09/08/2006, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skippy2
My tank is in the basement where nobody sees it but me. Sad, really because it is beatiful.
Well post some pictures and share with the rest of us.

My tank is in the family room. Hubby doesn't pay much attention to it unless I need him to do "manly" stuff like plumbing or electrical. He'll look at stuff if I point out something new and he gives me the courtesy "that's nice"

Oh shut up, and kiss my fairy wrasse. ~Gawain1974~

silly girls make stuff hard ~drauka99~
Old 09/09/2006, 09:48 AM
Moved On

My wife doesn't care about any of the tanks I have. She does like the mbuna cichlids though but doesn't really get into the care and feeding of them.
Old 09/09/2006, 09:57 AM
Team RC Member

I think there's a certain---if I touch it it might break---syndrome. Or ---if I start acting interested he may ask me to clean it.

The best hook? Take the lady shopping at the fish store and brace yourself for some request incompatible with your tank.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 09/09/2006, 10:02 AM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r
I think there's a certain---if I touch it it might break---syndrome. Or ---if I start acting interested he may ask me to clean it.

The best hook? Take the lady shopping at the fish store and brace yourself for some request incompatible with your tank.
Never take an uninterested party to the LFS!! They'll see how much everything costs.

Old 09/09/2006, 10:05 AM
Ehhhhhhh......

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
Never take an uninterested party to the LFS!! They'll see how much everything costs.
I believe in full disclosure. If my wife asks, I tell her. Sometimes the answer is "a lot."
Old 09/09/2006, 10:26 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
Well they'll see how much the lfs marks thing up anyway.
Old 09/09/2006, 10:27 AM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by otolith
I believe in full disclosure. If my wife asks, I tell her. Sometimes the answer is "a lot."
When it comes to my animals, it's a 'don't ask, don't tell' An ocassional raised eyebrow here and there, I know he knows 'A lot' is the correct answer.

Old 09/09/2006, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

My husband stopped asking how much stuff cost. I always told him "a million dollars or less".

Old 09/09/2006, 10:30 AM
Premium Member

marriage in trouble

We are newlyweds and my hubby was getting very upset that I wouldn't talk to him for days because I was busy with my tanks.
He asked one day if he could have his wifey back.
Then one day, he decided to join me and bought his own tank! He figured then I would HAVE to talk to him!

Unfortunately he was mad again because I took over the tank. Apparently I didn't realize it, but I was changing it because I didn't like what he did with it. Then he bought another one as his own since I kind of took his first one away from him.

We are now proud owners of 5 tanks with 2 more on the way!
Old 09/09/2006, 10:30 AM
Moved In

Good answer Carrie. Dan's actually never asked. He did say my new lights looked pretty pricey. I said yep. That was it.

Old 09/09/2006, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

I think the only thing he knew the actual price of was the lights. He bought them for me in May 2005 for my birthday, anniversay and mother's day. Only time I let him combine gifts!

I say he bought them only because I used his credit card. I did the research and figured out exactly what I wanted so there wasn't much planning on his part.

I made the mistake once of telling him how much my sump/protein skinner, etc cost. Caused a huge argument so now I don't tell and he don't ask.

Old 09/09/2006, 11:00 AM
Moved In

Re: marriage in trouble

Quote:
Originally posted by sugartooth
We are newlyweds and my hubby was getting very upset that I wouldn't talk to him for days because I was busy with my tanks.
He asked one day if he could have his wifey back.
Then one day, he decided to join me and bought his own tank! He figured then I would HAVE to talk to him!

Unfortunately he was mad again because I took over the tank. Apparently I didn't realize it, but I was changing it because I didn't like what he did with it. Then he bought another one as his own since I kind of took his first one away from him.

We are now proud owners of 5 tanks with 2 more on the way!
Now that would be fun! I'm pretty sure that Dan would not behave like that.