Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/01/2005, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

OK...who is actually using a RO booster pump?....big difference?

I was just wondering how these things really work. I know most people who have city water would not need this unit....but people with private artesian wells like I have.....it might be worth the money.

I have a 40-60LB PSI switch on my well...so when the pressure in my pressurized holding tank goes down to 40lbs it kicks my well pump on (1 HP, 9.8 Amps) then when it hits 60lbs it kicks off.

I recently installed a PSI gage on my RO unit (after my sediment pre filter and the carbon block). I realized a 15lb psi drop after going through these 1st two stages.

So at the highest point, my psi across my RO membrane is 45lbs, and very slowly as the psi drops in my well holding tank so does my ro unit.........all the way down to 25lbs.

So for a while I get some decent production from my RO unit, but as you can see the psi gets down into the non productive zone and kinda hangs out for a while.

I would be very interested in seeing how an RO booster pump combined with a permeate pump would perform.....I mean think about it.....always at 60LBS psi and then that permeate pump is supposed to decrease waste water by 80% and fill the tank up twice as fast. I would be happy if even half that statement was true.

Of course here is the downside....$350 total, for both units.

Here is a shot of my set-up. It's been running for 1.5 years

Thanks for the comments

Old 11/01/2005, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

Don't know how well the booster pumps work, my RO sits at about 50 PSI and thats on city water.

The Premeate pump will not do you any good in your case. The operation of this pump is for pressurized holding tanks. As the pressure in the tank builds the delta pressure accross the membrain goes way down. The pump keeps the output of the membrain near zero so you always have the most delta. With your setup and a non pressure holding tank you always have full delta.
Old 11/01/2005, 10:58 PM
Premium Member

I have a booster pump and run the PSI a little over 80. Can make water a heck of a lot faster and there is less waste water. Never have had a problem with the membrane deteriorating early. Just try to flush the membrane a little more often. Once an hour for 20 seconds or so. Had a permeate pump thing and returned it. It didn't make a difference. I probably would not run a RO/DI unit without a booster pump. Just wastes too much water and takes too long to make water. I also have an electronic flush valve so that is automated as well. Thus I don't have to remember to flush the membrane, it is done automatically.
Old 11/02/2005, 12:14 AM
Premium Member

I love my booster pump. My apt only has water pressure around 30 psi, and with the booster it gets it up to around 80-90. Makes water so quickly.
Old 11/02/2005, 01:56 AM
Watt Miser Extraordinaire

Hmm, maybe I'll have to try this. My pressure is 30 psi in my apt and water production certainly could be faster.
Old 11/02/2005, 01:59 AM
Premium Member

You would love it. Before I got my booster it would take me a good 8- 10 hours to make 7 gallons of water. Now I can make the same amount in around 1.5 hours
Old 11/02/2005, 03:15 AM
Watt Miser Extraordinaire

Yeah, it takes me about an hour to make 2 gallons. I'm using the Typhoon III from airwaterice.com which I already love. Can you recommend a good source for the booster? Is the one at airwaterice the way to go?

TIA
Old 11/02/2005, 03:17 AM
Premium Member

I got mine on eBay. Aquatec 8800
Old 11/02/2005, 07:06 AM
Premium Member

fppf, good point on the permeate pump, it would be useless in my case.

Rueg, where did you pick up you're pump and auto flush? Also does the pump come on/off automatically?

trmiv, Does it come on by itself.....12V?

Are these pumps loud? Do you install them before the first stage? and how long have you had them.

Thanks everyone!!
Old 11/02/2005, 12:38 PM
Premium Member

These are good questions. I too am wondering more about the booster pumps?
Old 11/02/2005, 12:46 PM
Premium Member

They do come with a solenoid so they will come on when your RO unit comes on. Very useful if you use a reservoir or directly plumb your RO/DI into the tank. I don't have that luxury so I just plug mine in when I make water.

They aren't super quiet, but not really loud. They don't sound like your typical aquarium pump, more of a surging sound. They do vibrate a lot, so it's best to isolate them the best you can to avoid the noise.

They get plumbed before the entire unit. So the water from the tap goes directly into the pump, and then the pump feeds the first stage of the RO/DI unit.

I consider mine the best purchase I've made in this hobby. The time and water savings are great.
Old 11/02/2005, 06:25 PM
Premium Member

I have my RO unit plumbed directly to my tank and the feed is controlled by a solenoid/float switch. How would the booster pump know when to start up and shut off? Does it sense pressure?
Old 11/02/2005, 09:29 PM
Premium Member

Trmiv, Hey, I think I found you're pump you bought on Ebay....is this it...RO pump on Ebay

I can't belive how cheap it is!!! It's only $85 ($109 less than Marine Depot) And they have 77 availible.

Upon close inspection of the label on that pump on Ebay and the one in Marine Depot's catalog, they look identical. (if that's a picture of the pump you actually recieve from Ebay)

Looks like they have those auto flush kits for the membrane there as well.

So Trmiv, is this where you bought you're pump? Did you get the one pictured? Did the pump see brand new?

Thanks so much for all you're help
Old 11/02/2005, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

Yea, same pump, but I didn't get it from that seller. I've had mine for like 9 months now. I got mine from this place:

http://stores.ebay.com/R-O-WATER-FILTERS-N-MORE

The link you sent is cheaper though, and they are at 100% with 399 feedbacks, I think you're pretty safe. Go for it.
Old 11/03/2005, 12:48 PM
Premium Member

Ya, both companies sound good. I think I'm sold.