Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2007, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

If you want the skimmer to skim drier, adjust the black rubber thing around the skimmer, so that the body of the skimmer sticks up higher.

I have a solana and do this when feeding heavy so that it doesn't immediately overflow. Also run it that way if I plan on not being able to clean the skimmer the next day. That way it skims darker and heavier than so light and wet.

I recommend a chiller for this tank. I currently have my AC on still in the house and when I got home last night, my tank was 87.5 degrees...My local LFS has bought my chiller for me, just waiting for it to arrive now. I can't risk killing the Helfriches Firefish I plan on buying.

On warmer days where the AC works a little harder in the house, the tank stays at about 83. If you don't get a chiller I'd at least recommend a fan or two on controllers.
Old 12/14/2007, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

hmm yea i might just dish out some extra cash for a chiller, the prime chiller 1/15 seems good and its not so expensive.

yea i just raised the black rubber its now at the half point and its getting darker and dryer skimmate.

>>Click The Red House To See My Solana 34 Gal All In one Build<<
Old 12/15/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

How loud is the skimmer? Other Solana owners have mentioned it is on the loud side. I want to get one but plan on keeping it in my bedroom so I want to be able to sleep.
Old 12/16/2007, 11:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by virex27th
How loud is the skimmer? Other Solana owners have mentioned it is on the loud side. I want to get one but plan on keeping it in my bedroom so I want to be able to sleep.
i hardly notice it, i mean u have to be really paying attention, maybe im just used to it but who knows really.

Old 12/17/2007, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

Hi

Nice thread, I was wondering does Solona come with a cover?

As I am planning to get one also.

thanks
Old 12/17/2007, 07:57 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by karlyhui
Hi

Nice thread, I was wondering does Solona come with a cover?

As I am planning to get one also.

thanks
it comes with a pre made glass cover, but when u have it on, the temp is very high. i keep it off, im making a mesh cover.

Old 12/17/2007, 08:58 AM
Premium Member

how far into my cycle should i add a clean up crew? the algae is starting to bloom soo im wondering if i should just put in soem snails now that the tank has some food for them and maybe they'll be able to control the algae bloom before it gets out of hand.

Old 12/17/2007, 05:08 PM
Premium Member

k so i went ahead and have let go of the troops!

25 regular snail [LFS didnt have name for em]

and

40 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs

Old 12/17/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

40 b/l hermits! That is alot I think your bioload for the tank is done...haha j/k but I would remove at least half of those guys.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:51 PM
Premium Member

they never last long really. especially in a bare bottom tank. i had 400 of them in my 90 gallon. so i should be good.

Old 12/18/2007, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

those look like astrea snails, or "atlantic turbo" snails. They are local, found mostly in the keys.
Old 12/18/2007, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

Tank looks great so far.
Old 12/18/2007, 03:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eco37
those look like astrea snails, or "atlantic turbo" snails. They are local, found mostly in the keys.
yea thats what i was thinking, a few of them have some coraline on them sooo hopefully that will boost my coraline growth in the tank they have been controlling the algae bloom, they have eaten all of the fuzzy algae that were on the rock and so have the blue hermits soo thats great!

Quote:
Originally posted by scottydo
Tank looks great so far.
[/B]
thank you scotty. ive been trying to keep ontop of it but lately ive been getting some dj gigs late at night so its hard to stay awake during the day and stuff haha

Old 12/20/2007, 10:20 PM
Premium Member

Nice job. I love the tank!
Old 12/23/2007, 08:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdpierce21
Nice job. I love the tank!
Thanks! A little update before christmas, i gave myself a very needed gift, i went to the LFS today and was talking to a friend who works there told him how my tank fluctuates from 78 degrees up to 88 degrees, he showed me a 1/15hp Chiller they had for 399 so i went ahead and just coughed it up causei kno its needed before i even put anything in there.

Old 12/23/2007, 10:31 PM
Premium Member

another last update, it looks like my tank cleaners had an all out war, it was the snails vs the hermit crabs... hermit crabs own the tank now and showing off all of their new shells..never seen them change shells so fast being in the tank only 5 days.

it looked like all of em were ready for new housing anyway, hopefully if i buy some snails ill get different ones not sure which ones hermits are less of a predator to... also in consideration to the snails they need to withstand high current as i have Two Koralia # 3's and Two Koralias # 1 and the stock pump which does around 396gph for a total of 2896gph in the tank.. i think thats a good enough water turnover for the tank dont ya think since im going BB and goign for SPS dominated with minimal zoas and shrooms

Old 12/23/2007, 11:15 PM
Premium Member

Good ideas, all the Solona threads I have read have heat problems and gotten chillers

Marty

Quote:
Originally posted by Devtech
Thanks! A little update before christmas, i gave myself a very needed gift, i went to the LFS today and was talking to a friend who works there told him how my tank fluctuates from 78 degrees up to 88 degrees, he showed me a 1/15hp Chiller they had for 399 so i went ahead and just coughed it up causei kno its needed before i even put anything in there.
Old 12/24/2007, 12:14 AM
Zoa Fanatic

Good choice going with a chiller for your system.

Me, being the cheap *** that I am, would have just slapped a $7 fan on there and called it a day.
Old 12/24/2007, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zma21
Good choice going with a chiller for your system.

Me, being the cheap *** that I am, would have just slapped a $7 fan on there and called it a day.
well i wouldnt have bought it if it wasnt for my christmas bonus coming in now i need to decide what pump will fit where

Old 01/04/2008, 04:42 PM
Premium Member

k so since i havent updated in a while, i thought id pass by and say a few words... its been a few weeks now that the tank has been cycling and it hasnt even ended its full cycle yet, nitrates and nitrites are off the charts....sooo that being said i went today to the LFS and bought some live sand and kinda gave up on the barebottom theme i was hoping for, not sure what went on with the tank but i think in another two weeks ill have an up and running tank ... HOPEFULLY

Old 01/04/2008, 05:02 PM
Premium Member

Can you find Boisphere for saltwater? That should help you alot

Marty
Old 01/04/2008, 06:35 PM
Premium Member

hmm not sure on what biosphere is.. but they sell this bottle of nitromax, its supposed to cycle your water in a week or so most of the LFS down here i have talked to say they use that to cycle their water as quick as possible to make more room for live stock.

Old 01/04/2008, 06:38 PM
Premium Member

Biosphere is like nitromax, but is refrigerated. It works much better. Call around I am sure someone has it

Marty
Old 01/04/2008, 06:58 PM
Premium Member

tagging along. keep up the good work
Old 01/04/2008, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

wow, i was at the LFS early today and i saw that in person, the tank is badass and i love the disco ball mh too, hmmmm should i upgrade? keep us post it.