Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/06/2007, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

Nitrates

Hello guys,

I recently had an issue with algae surge. I figured it is possibly because of NO3 and PO$ build up. I just added a phosban reactor hopefully will work for that.

I donot have a DSB. Is there anything else to do to bring down nitrates ? It is not too high. I dont think mine ever went above 2. But it is not zero
Old 08/06/2007, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

do you have a sump? refugium? if you set up a refugium, or section off a part of your sump to act as one, you can place some macro algae in there that will outcompete the microalgae that is appearing in your display for the nutrients in your tank that are fueling the "surge". as the macro grows, you can trim it back and remove some, thus removing the nutrients locked up within it.
Old 08/06/2007, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

If they're only 2 right now, i honestly wouldnt bother. My system runs at a perfect 0, but i've never seen any problems till it gets to like 20 or so.

How mine runs at 0, i'm not sure lol, because i use the "dreaded" tap water. But then again, i also run that Kent Nitrate Sponge stuff, so that may be helping.

Other than that, ditto what dwd said about the fuge...you could at least do a HOB fuge made out of an Aquaclear HOB filter.
Old 08/06/2007, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

I agree with the sump/refugium idea and the macro algae. If you don't have a sump you can even go the route of using a hang on power filter as a refugium area to put some macro. Just don't use the filter media.
Old 08/06/2007, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

I do have a fuge. I just got the cheato. BUt i seem unable to keep a good light bulb on all the time. The daylight bulbs I use just stop working in 2 days. I already went through 3 Daylight CFLs. Will try changing the socket and holder.

Actually I forgot they were supposed to help with nitrates
Old 08/06/2007, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

You can always do a couple of water changes to lower your nitrates temporarily. We KNOW you change at least 5% a week right?
Old 08/06/2007, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

Yeah water changes can only be a good thing when something in your tank is off. But I would extend that 5% to something a little higher, at least 10% weekly. Most of us in the hobby have a 5 gallon bucket laying around and if I were you I would let that kinda be my guide. You have a 75 gallon tank. This week I would do a change of about 4 buckets making it 20 gallons(about 25%) but otherwise if everything was on track I would still do 10 gallons(about 12.5%), that's only 2 easy buckets of change.