Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/01/2007, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

help w/drilling acrylic tank

I have a acrylic tank that i need to put a bulkhead in. The bulkhead is 3/4, so what kind of drill bit do you use? do you start small and work up or do you just drill3/4? help please.
Old 12/01/2007, 09:15 PM
Premium Member

marinedepot lists a 3/4" bulkhead to use a 1.5" hole. I would personally have the bulkhead in hand and measure to make sure because all manufacturers seem to do their own thing as far as size goes. For acrylic a wood hole saw has worked just fine (for me at least)
Old 12/01/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

I use an appropriate size hole saw. You need to check your bulkhead and see what size hole to drill. A 3/4" bulkhead will likely take a 1.25"hole. I drill about 1/2 way from one side and then finish from the other side. Don't force it and don't stop the drill with the saw in the acrylic or it will likely stick.
Old 12/01/2007, 09:30 PM
Frag-a-holic

Do it kind of slowly. A little bit at a time allowing the saw to cool each time. Otherwise if you try to go too fast, it will start melting the acrylic.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 12/01/2007, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

If your hole saw (Drill) is catching use it in reverse. It will go alot easier.
Old 12/02/2007, 01:48 AM
Registered Member

These things Are great
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Circle-Hole-C...ayphotohosting
I got 1 for $5 at the local hardware store and have used it many times.
Not as tough as a whole saw but more versatile as it does a range of sizes and if you rotate the cutters it can cut disks too...
Old 12/02/2007, 01:58 AM
Can't be listed on **

I would suggest using a good sharp forstner bit rather than a hole say, much easier to work with. But do go slow and keep the bit cool so it does not start melting the acrylic. If you go with the adjustable hole saw that richofoz suggests, you need to use it in a drill press, not a hand drill.

kim