Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/05/2006, 04:48 AM
Registered Member

Angry painted bck of tank

OK, I decided to go ahead and paint the back of my 140G with a blue latex acrylic paint, after cleaning the glass. I've done one coat so far and realize from the threads that several coats are required.

Here is my concern though....the one coat I've put on so far left brush marks(vertical) no matter how hard I tried to get it as uniform as possible....

For those who have done this before, do subsequent coats help make the overall appearance uniform or should I get the razor out and start again, maybe with a roler instead of brush?

any feedback appreciated

Thanks!
Old 05/05/2006, 05:10 AM
VENI VITI VICI!!!

roller, i tryed to help with backdrop, but nnoooo!!! just kidding. scrape with a razor. hold it about 15 degrees and stay away from the silicone. you might even consider a textured roller. ive not seen that yet. it might be cool. REEF-ON!!!
Old 05/05/2006, 05:13 AM
VENI VITI VICI!!!

marine paint comes to mind, but its high dollah$$$ even if the textured doesnt look good you can scrape it also. wally world has them cheap. REEF-ON!!!
Old 05/05/2006, 07:38 AM
a.k.a. "Keg Girl"

I agree that rolling it on will be more uniform. If you can get a way to spray the paint, that would probably work even better.

**New avatar: me and the Philly Phanatic**
Old 05/05/2006, 07:50 AM
Premium Member

another coat or two will fill in the brush marks
Old 05/05/2006, 07:56 AM
22 And Livin It Up!

thats why most people use spray paint.

Click on My Gallery for pics of my tank
Click the little red house for my tank diary!!!
Old 05/05/2006, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

Thanks JER-Z and all who replied,

I will try another coat or two, with a roller this time, and worst case scenario...I'll get the blade and start again.

Thanks again
Old 05/05/2006, 08:24 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

Yep, I always use spray paint.
Old 05/05/2006, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

I had the problem the i decided to use spray paint and it came out great
Old 05/05/2006, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

roll a few more coats and it will be uniform

Old 05/05/2006, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

after the second or third coat you may still have brush strokes visible from behind, but when viewing throug the glass it will be uniform, as the glass is perfectly flat.
Old 05/05/2006, 12:55 PM
Take My Coralline, Please

Unless you're going to scrape coraline off the back glass, don't get too excited about it since your paint job will disappear into pink and purple oblivion in about 6 months anyway. If you are going to scrape the back, what Safir said...

Spray is always the best for uniform painting. Takes more prep work, but always turns out nice.
Old 05/05/2006, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

I just bought a background from my LFS it has bouth blue and black side's so if I get tired of one I can change.
Old 05/05/2006, 10:28 PM
Premium Member

I wouldn't think a brushed or rolled paint will never look smooth on glass from the front side. I've sprayed 2 tanks and they came out perfect. I'd like to hear what happens. Even though the back of the tank will cover with coraline it will still have a lot of visible spots for a long time. heres a tank that I painted a year ago and I believe you would still notice it if it was rolled. painters always paint doors with spray because of the smooth texture. You can tell when a home owner paints their own house because they don't have access to sprayers, and you see the brush marks.
Old 05/05/2006, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

I still say vinyl is a good alternative, fwiw.

-unknown
Old 05/06/2006, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

Why did you paint it when the sell black backgrounds?
Old 05/06/2006, 01:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by guyguerra
I wouldn't think a brushed or rolled paint will never look smooth on glass from the front side. I've sprayed 2 tanks and they came out perfect. I'd like to hear what happens. Even though the back of the tank will cover with coraline it will still have a lot of visible spots for a long time. heres a tank that I painted a year ago and I believe you would still notice it if it was rolled. painters always paint doors with spray because of the smooth texture. You can tell when a home owner paints their own house because they don't have access to sprayers, and you see the brush marks.
the look of rolled or brushed paint comes from teh texture, when you are looking through painted glass it looks perfect no matter how it was painted becaus ethe finish that is on the glass is perfectly flat, like the glass, ther eare no brush or roller marks unless the paint is pretty thin and the light is coming from directly behind the tank - it does take a few coats though, as the first coat will leave marks on the finish that are "deep" enough to be seen even when vewed through the glass.
Old 05/06/2006, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

I think mine took about 5 coats total.
Old 05/06/2006, 01:08 PM
mmmmmm Fish

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken-21
Why did you paint it when the sell black backgrounds?
you can get water/salt between the background and the glass-- some people don't like this.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve immortality by not dying"-- Woody Allen
Old 05/06/2006, 02:56 PM
Premium Member

Highflyer, could you post a picture for us when its done the tank and has water in it and lights on, or let us know if the picture is a hassel. I'm not a painter and really don't know. I figured spray was the only way to get a smooth look, but would like to know for future use. Thanks.
Old 05/06/2006, 03:11 PM
Dumb Hobbiest

Paint doesn't fall off like the backgrounds.
Old 05/06/2006, 03:25 PM
Premium Member

Jeremy's correct, taped backgrounds will eventually fall off. I had a taped on background on my first tank. But back then I also had plastic plants and dead coral fossils. I can't imagine a serious reef enthusiast using a taped on background. Eventually the tape will come off, causing you to re tape it, but since you cant reach the entire back of the tank once it's installed, you will probably end up with areas where the background touches the glass, and other areas where it doesn't, which will cause different looks in those areas, kind of like air bubbles on a bad window tint. With all the other work we are committing to do to keep a serious tank, this seems like a small, virtually insignificant thing to do, but will guaranty that your tank looks the same for all the years that you will have it. That can not be said for tape on backgrounds.
Old 11/15/2006, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

painted background

Hello guyguerra,

Haven't checked back on this tread in a while until I was ready to paint the back of a second tank (a smaller 65).

The first one(140gal) turned out good in royal blue.
I'm about to to the other tank in flat black and will be sure to post pics of both then.

Sorry for the delay!
Cheers
Old 11/15/2006, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

If the tank is empty, spray paint.

If the tank is stocked, I used Rustoleum with a small sponge roller (just two days ago). Make sure the paint is good and soaked on the roller, and roll a single even coat. Don't go over wet paint, just seems to pull it up and make it more uneven.

One coat was all that was needed. Also don't judge how even it is from viewing from the back with the light coming thru. Mine doesn't look perfect from the rear, but from the front it looks beautiful.
Old 11/15/2006, 02:07 PM
Premium Member

Spray paint... but make sure you cover well and place masking tape well... I have some small mistakes but it looks good... I had only 12 hour to do all since I was changing my defective tank..