Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/07/2005, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

detritus help - new tank

my tank just recently cycled (29 tall, ~40lbs LR) and in the last couple days detritus has gotten EVERYWHERE... all the rocks look like they're covered in dust, in the sand, etc.... yesterday i added a few zebra turbos, bumblebee snails, a few ceriths, 2 emerald crabs and various hermits..... am going out today to pick up some trochus and nassarius snails, maybe i'll get suckered into more hermits...... but what about this detritus? should i pick up a star or two? what kind? a cucumber (i would really rather not, just personal preference)? or should i just add more snails and wait and see if they can handle it?
Old 05/07/2005, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

just give it alittle time.

You can also take a powerhead and "blow"it off.

Eventuall, it will disapear
Old 05/07/2005, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

thanks : ) i figured it it got blown around it would just settle somewhere else anyway....
Old 05/07/2005, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

I periodically use a turkey baster to blast the rocks and put the detritus in suspension.

Don't overload your aquarium with those snails and hermits: they won't eat detritus. Nassarius prefer meaty foods. Bumblebee snails are actually predators that feed on other snails and beneficial worms. Hermit crabs, will often kill and attack snails for food and their shells. Since your aquarium is newly cycled, there probably isn't much to eat for your snails right now. Let your cleanup crew establish itself.

Make sure you actually feed those nassarius. I've found that pelleted foods attracts their attention.
Old 05/07/2005, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

Blow the rocks off and let your filter do the work, seems to me you have more of a circulation problem than a clean up crew problem. With good and random water movement, nothing should really settle anywhere. Throw an extra power head or two and put them on a timer or wavemaker.
Old 05/07/2005, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Listen to potsy...he's right on....
Old 05/07/2005, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

i believe you could have a diatom bloom-- do a search.
Old 05/07/2005, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

Good point salty...I read the orginal thread again,if the tank has just begun cycling,there shouldn't be massive detritus build-up. Lcollins do you have any pics?
Old 05/07/2005, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

I had a diatom bloom not too long ago. I added a bunch of cheato to my tank and 3 days later, no more diatoms.
Old 05/07/2005, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

not diatom algae, just blows off the rocks... just looks like dust, not very brown...
Old 05/07/2005, 12:59 PM
28" Rainbow Trout

Did you get the rocks from another reefer? I've heard they accumulate junk over time in aquariums (that tides in the ocean clean out of natural LR). I feel your pain. I have a 300 barebottom that puts out gob fulls of the stuff. They said it should last 6 mos or so but mine's still kicking it out a year later. I use a powerhead taped to a pc of pvc to blow mine off weekly now - used to be daily.
Old 05/07/2005, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

think i'm just going to have to be dilligent about blowing it off some of the rocks, while another powerhead is an option, i don't know quite where i'd put it :P using an aquaclear 110 with minimum output, which will be housing a refugium sooner or later, 1 maxijet 400 and a seaclone 100 (which runs on a maxijet 1200)... it's only a 29gal, i'm not sure about more waterflow yet.....
most of it is settling on the rocks that get little current because of the way they are staggered...