Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2008, 11:20 PM
Thinking Too Hard

I looked at those giesemanns and they're 4x54w too. If that's the case, I think I'll go with the 4 bulb powermod. It's still hard to believe though that this could be more output than a 6 bulb tek light. I mean, is it SOOOO bright that it even outpaces 2 extra bulbs (in the tek's case?)

I guess I could also go with a 4 or 6 bulb tek... But that, according to other users, would mean that my bulbs would go bad faster...

Mike
Old 01/10/2008, 11:31 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by triguy
Hi Grimm- noob here and need some advice on upgrading my lights to T5 using retrofit. I have a 90gallon with built in overflow in the corner, so I have dilemma on what length of reflectors and how many to buy. The new TEK 2 reflectors are 3 1/8" wide. One area of my tank is only 11" wide and another part is only 32" long due to the space the overflow takes up. It seems like I have 2 options:

1. I know I can fit 4 48" bulbs, but some of the light would be "wasted" on the overflow.
2. I could fit 3 48" bulbs and then 2 24" near the back of the tank.

What do you recommend or can you think of another option? If I go with option 2, would I be able to run all the lights on an Icecap 660 and overdrive them?

Thanks,
Brian
Use Ice cap reflectors, only 2 1/2 inches wide.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RobynT
I just ordered new bulbs for my 48" TEK T5 fixture. Can someone tell me if they think I ordered a nice combo and in what order to place them in my tank? Lights 1 & 6 are on a separate switch than 2,3,4 &5. If you think I should go with different bulbs, please advise that as well. Thanks in advance!!

2 - ATI Blue Plus
2 - ATI Aquablue Special
1 - ATI True Actinic
1 - ATI Pro Color
Grim, I was wondering if you would please take a look at this and tell me what you think ? I could still switch bulbs if you think I need too and THANKS!!!
Old 01/11/2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeD
I looked at those giesemanns and they're 4x54w too. If that's the case, I think I'll go with the 4 bulb powermod. It's still hard to believe though that this could be more output than a 6 bulb tek light. I mean, is it SOOOO bright that it even outpaces 2 extra bulbs (in the tek's case?)

I guess I could also go with a 4 or 6 bulb tek... But that, according to other users, would mean that my bulbs would go bad faster...

Mike
4x39 watt Tek lamp PAR at the sandbed 22" tall tank 152. Powermodule PAR 301.

If you can make the ATI work say 10" to a foot above the tank I would think you'll be fine.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RobynT
Grim, I was wondering if you would please take a look at this and tell me what you think ? I could still switch bulbs if you think I need too and THANKS!!!
Front
Actinic
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Pro Color
Aquablue
Blue Plus
Old 01/11/2008, 12:38 AM
Thinking Too Hard

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
4x39 watt Tek lamp PAR at the sandbed 22" tall tank 152. Powermodule PAR 301.

If you can make the ATI work say 10" to a foot above the tank I would think you'll be fine.
I will do my best to make it work!! Okay Grim, 4x54W bulb choices and positions? Thanks a bunch!
Old 01/11/2008, 12:50 AM

Front
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
Blue Plus
Old 01/11/2008, 12:52 AM

Re: Hey Grim...

Quote:
Originally posted by rs1831
Do you know how the new Sundial T5HO Lighting System are? I'm looking for a light for a 29 gallon tank and I don't want to use pc.
Thanks,
Roland
Should be fine for that tank
Old 01/11/2008, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

Re: Re: Hey Grim...

Quote:
Should be fine for that tank
Would you do something different?
Old 01/11/2008, 01:07 AM

Not really. Nothing I can think of would really be that much better suited to that tank.
Old 01/11/2008, 01:12 AM
Registered Member

Thank you.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

Grim, thanks for all the work. I've been reading through tons of threads, but I was wondering if you could me your opinion.

I have 30gallon long, 36Wx14Dx16H (BUT, with my sand bend, the heigh from sand to top of tank is actually like 12-13")

I'd like to keep softies, LPS and maybe some SPS.
A worry I have is having too much light and burning my corals

What would better in my case:
Nova Extreme: 4x39 or 6x39
Nova Extreme Pro: 6x39 (i don't think they make a 4x39)
Catalina Solar: 4x39 or 6x39 (I'm wondering if these are as good as the Nova Extreme Pros?)
Tek: 4x39

As an alternative, would it make sense to get a 24" fixture, mount it in the middle of my tank, grow shrooms and zoas on the sides of tank?
Thanks!
Old 01/11/2008, 11:20 AM

Get the 4x39 Nova. Keep the Nova lamps. Replace on of the 10K lamps with an ATI Actinic. The lower PAR of the Nove Blue lamps is an advantage in your case.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:55 AM
King of the Apes

Hey guys.. i am setting up a frag tank (AGA 20g, NOT long), and was wondering what the most affordable T5 fixture would be for growing out SPS (i am using racks to bring them up very high to the surface) and then placing softies underneath them.

I dont have a hood, so need a fixture with legs.

I was looking at soemthing like the Current USA 24" 4x24 watt Nova Extreme

Thanks
Old 01/11/2008, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

I think my last post was too long, so I'm going to try again with the hope that someone can help with bulb ideas.

Front
48" (icecap driven, 85w)
48" (icecap driven, 85w)
36" (icecap driven, 60w)
48" (regular ballast, 54w)

I could also reverse this -- put the icecap on the back three bulbs and the regular ballast on the front two.

48" tank, 21" deep.

Thanks much in advance.
Old 01/11/2008, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

Hi, What makes one brand fixture cost as twice as the other brand, such as an ATI vs. sundial Tek...?
Thanks.
Old 01/11/2008, 04:00 PM
Got Zoa Pox?

Hi Grim,

I'm looking to replace all 4 lamps on my fixture and I would like to ask you a quick question about this combo:

Front
Blue Plus
Aqua Sun
Blue Plus
Pro Color

What overall "look" would this combo have? I'd like to have the "look" somewhere beetween 14K and 20K

Thanks!

-Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 01/11/2008, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Not really. Nothing I can think of would really be that much better suited to that tank.
Hey Grim,
What would you do for light bulbs for this unit?
Old 01/11/2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by King-Kong
Hey guys.. i am setting up a frag tank (AGA 20g, NOT long), and was wondering what the most affordable T5 fixture would be for growing out SPS (i am using racks to bring them up very high to the surface) and then placing softies underneath them.

I dont have a hood, so need a fixture with legs.

I was looking at soemthing like the Current USA 24" 4x24 watt Nova Extreme

Thanks
The Nova would be fine.
Old 01/11/2008, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

grim whats the best looking purple bulb? and I mean dark intense purple not the pink that alot of bulbs put out...My setup is a 4 bulb icecap retro. I am running two ati blue+ (plan on keeping these in) and have tried the uv super actinic. is there a bulb out there that is more intensly purple?
Old 01/11/2008, 05:36 PM

Missed your first post, it happens

front
ATI Blue Plus Ice Cap
UVL Aquasun Normally driven
UVL Super Actinic 36" Ice Cap
ATI Aquablue Ice Cap driven
ATI Blue Plus Normally Driven

Quote:
Originally posted by lark
I think my last post was too long, so I'm going to try again with the hope that someone can help with bulb ideas.

Front
48" (icecap driven, 85w)
48" (icecap driven, 85w)
36" (icecap driven, 60w)

I could also reverse this -- put the icecap on the back three bulbs and the regular ballast on the front two.

48" tank, 21" deep.

Thanks much in advance.
Ok, new variation on same theme. Looking for advice on a 5-bulb set up. 48" tank, about 20" deep.

My 660 pooped out and is being repaired. I bought a 4x54 retro kit from reefgeek and installed last night, with the expectation of adding the 660 back to drive two vho actinics to complement t5s. That's a no go. Not enough room in the canopy. The tek reflectors are a bit wider than I expected. I have room for five t5 bulbs with reflectors max. The middle, or third, bulb, will have to be 36" to accomodate two fans I have on the inside of the canopy. So, 4x48" and 1x36", with the 36" in the middle.

What I plan to do is swap out one of the ballasts with the 660 when it comes back, so that I'll have one regular ballast driving 2x54w, and the icecap driving (overdriving) two of the 48 inch bulbs and the 36 inch bulb.

Any suggestions on how to set this up and what bulbs to use? To avoid to much wiring insanity, I think I'd like to keep the three overdriven bulbs on the icecap next to one another -- so the 36" middle bulb and either the two 48" in front or two in back. So, the two possibilities are:

Back
48" -- icecap
48 -- icecap
36 -- icecap
48 -- reg. ballast
48 -- reg. ballast
Front

Or the reverse:

Back
48 -- regular ballast
48 -- reg. ballast
36 -- icecap
48 -- icecap
48 -- icecap
Front

Thanks in advance.
Old 01/11/2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shikhyung
Hi, What makes one brand fixture cost as twice as the other brand, such as an ATI vs. sundial Tek...?
Thanks.
Same as the reason a Mercedes cost more than a Yugo.

The ATI is a Cast Aluminum housing with Vossloh Schwabb ballasts and Miro Silver reflectors.

Tek and Nova use Workhorse ballasts, Nova has polished aluminum reflectors and as far as I know a plastic housing. Tek doesn't have active cooling but decent reflector. Nova has decebr cooling but blahh reflectors.
Old 01/11/2008, 05:49 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JeffReef
Hi Grim,

I'm looking to replace all 4 lamps on my fixture and I would like to ask you a quick question about this combo:

Front
Blue Plus
Aqua Sun
Blue Plus
Pro Color

What overall "look" would this combo have? I'd like to have the "look" somewhere beetween 14K and 20K

Thanks!
[/QUOTE

Change the Pro Color for an Aquablue. Closer to 14K than 20 but blue.
Old 01/11/2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rs1831
Hey Grim,
What would you do for light bulbs for this unit?
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
Blue Plus
Old 01/11/2008, 05:51 PM
Premium Member

what "K" is the ATI Blue plus bulb?