Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/13/2006, 02:00 AM
Moved On

live rock shipping

I want to order some live rock so I need to know if there is anywhere with free shipping or if there is any west coast places to get live rock. I live in oregon and I dont want to pay 160 bucks for shipping
Old 12/13/2006, 02:53 AM
Registered Member

i got my fiji off of ebay twice and have been very happy both times and it was about 2$ a pound and 70 for shipping even with shipping its still almost half the price of some places
Old 12/13/2006, 06:16 AM
Premium Member

We're paying about $5/lb for Fiji at local fish stores here in California. For your 100 gallon, I'd probably get at least 125lbs. That's got to cost to ship... shipping will not be free. Anyone who says they ship for free is simply including the shipping in the cost of the item or soon will be out of business.

If you can get 125 shipped to you for about $500, take it. Check out Tampa Bay Saltwater... see what their prices are.

The real way to save money on live rock takes patience. Get yourself 40lbs of live rock, and 100 lbs of base rock (cheap!). For this to work though, you'll have to leave your tank fishless for about 4-5 months as the living stuff colonizes the base rock. This should save you about $300 over buying 140 lbs live.

Another way to save money is to look on Craigslist or the club forums here for someone in your area selling off their live rock. You can get a really good price if you buy your rock used. Some people even give it away free.
Old 12/13/2006, 07:36 AM
Moved On

Yeah i already have about 50 lbs of live rock and i would like to get about another 100 lbs there are no clubs on here from oregon so i was lookinf for a company that was close to me to ship it. I would love to get tbs rock but its a fortune to ship it to me. i did find one site with free shipping but i forgot what it was. I will post a link when i find it again.
Old 12/13/2006, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

When I bought my rock, there were 2 guys on ebay selling it for almost the same price around $2 a lb. One was in CA, the other was in FL.
-cleaner shrimp

Opinions are like nipples on a man.....
Old 12/13/2006, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

is this the link that you were looking for staticx?
http://www.yourreef.com/LiveRock.html

it says live rock $3.99/lb with free shipping. idk the quality of the rock.
Old 12/13/2006, 10:57 AM
IN DEEP

PM sent
Old 12/13/2006, 11:27 AM
Moved On

Hey I just wanted to say thank you so much for all the quick response. that link is just about perfect.
Old 12/13/2006, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

if you get some of the rock from yourreef post some pics, i'd like to see how the quality is for that price
Old 12/13/2006, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

Wanting to get some new rock myself. I was looking at Saltwater Fish for most of their LR packages include shipping however I'm not sure of the quality of the rock. Tampa Bay Saltwater ships by airfreight so you might get a better deal that route.
Old 12/13/2006, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

For Saltwater Fish the weight shown includes the packaging so the actual weight of the LR will be less.

From saltwater fish.com
Quote:
Note: The weight listed is the total weight including packaging.
Old 12/13/2006, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

Hey Staticx ypu might want to check this place out the shipping isnt free but the pric is low enought that the shipping would cost you about $3.99 or less for 130 lbs of Figi and another benefit is they have had a good rep here at reef central from what I can see. I plan on ordering from them in the spring.

http://livestockusa.org/