Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/30/2006, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

Man that sucks you had to repost all those pics. Great to see the progress though Maybe you can shoot a PM to the moderator or someone associated with RC to see what the deal is.

That's too funny about the whole 75 gal talk because I was looking at one this weekend. My 55 has a lot of scatches so I was thinking about upgrading. Still need to look at the dimensions to see if it would fit on my pre-existing stand and canopy without too much effort.
Old 10/30/2006, 05:31 PM
Reef Fanatic

Ah, if you have a 44, then you should upgrade to something like a 180. Or at LEAST 150.... I am working on a 180g tank upgrade, myself....

RK: Where only bad things happen fast...

CRAZY 4 the CRASE - Oct 13, 2007
Conf for Reef Aquarists and SW Enthusiasts
Google it - Search for: craseokc
Old 10/30/2006, 09:23 PM
Premium Member

Capt,

What do you think about a 29, I know small, but how do you like the size for a smaller thank?

Looking at building a canopy and the full 9 yards soon for a 29 or 37.
Old 10/30/2006, 11:53 PM
Reef Fanatic

The biggest thing I can urge you towards is more depth of tank, front to back. How about consider a 40 gallon breeder tank? That would be 36x18x16 tank. Or a 50 gallon tank which would be 36x18x18. In short, you would LOVE that extra 6 inches.

Old 10/31/2006, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for following along guys. It's a pain having to drop all these images back in the thread but it's pretty useless having all these explanations and stuff like that without the corresponding pics. Plus, it's nice to see the overall progress I've made in the past 3 months.

Glad that you posted on here Rod. He just moved down to Charleston a couple weeks ago and hopefully we'll be able to meet up in the future. I agree with Paul that a 40 breeder would be a nice step up from a 29 since the dimensions are really great. I actually sometime s wish that I would have looked at overall dimensions before getting my 55 but it sounded like a good size at the time and I've been really happy with it. I'm sure once I move out of the apartment I'm in, I'll possibly step up to a 75 or 90 since the length will be the same and I'll still be able to use my lights. I will probably also start a nano at some point as well....something that I can dedicate just to one species of coral or something. There I go getting ahead of myself though

Here are some more progress pics from the past. I took a bunch of pics last night so I'll be downloading those and posting those later today.

Here's where I got the lights and you can really see the change in intensity and later the health of the corals

Check out how much coralline has grown on this piece compared to previous page
Old 10/31/2006, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

For all you Actinic lovers out there

You can see how much the froggy expands now with the new lights.

Old 10/31/2006, 07:50 AM
Registered Member

This brings us back to two weeks ago in the first couple pics and last week in the last ones

Pics of my $35 Fire and Ice Zoanthid Rock

Old 10/31/2006, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

From 1 1/2 weeks ago

Time to download all my pics from last night, load them to my Site and put them on here.

Adam
Old 10/31/2006, 08:07 AM
Registered Member

So of course the day that I go and take about 40 pictures and try and load them, Photoshop on my computer is messing up. Looks like it will be tomorrow before I get to post them up here.

Needless to say though, the six-line is doing great and has been eating like crazy when I feed the clowns as well. I'm still amazed at the coloration of these fish and how they dart in and out of the caves that I have. Amazing creatures for sure.

Adam
Old 10/31/2006, 08:38 AM
Premium Member

Sounds like you're having one of my days
Old 10/31/2006, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, I was all excited to get to post some updated pics today but oh well. Computers and I have a love hate relationship....they allow me to have the job that I do but they also limit my work capacity when they don't work properly as well
Old 10/31/2006, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

nice I want to see the rock work built up in the tankhope it all going good for you. just remember that when you add rock it is like adding a fish and you will have to watch your tank for spikes of all sorts of goodies.

I got a couple more pics too if you want to see them I finally figured out how to use my camera. I dont want to hijack your thread either so i will post them then you can tell me to stop posting pics ok

click the red house to see pics of my tank....the better pics are at the bottom :D
Old 10/31/2006, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

Great pics Blackheart Man, it sure looks like you figured out how to work your camera alright Awesome corals. I REALLY like the mushroom (or is it a rhodactis) and the zoas. All of the corals look great and look incredibly healthy.

Don't worry about posting pics on here....I think it's great seeing other peoples' tanks, corals, etc. POST AWAY

Adam
Old 10/31/2006, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

Sweet... I got Photoshop up and running again so I was able to open my RAW files and get them ready for the web. As you can see from the below, I'm a little little bit excited about my six-line
It is incredibly shy unless there's food in the water so I had to get the shutter speed up high and hope that I got some good one. Meet Cosmo (Kramer). I also have some others pics of my new aquascaping and the other corals I have as well.

Check out how much the blue anthelia and xenia have not only colored back up but now are growing and the xenia are pulsing again

Here you can see some of the new rock that I got and the way I made some more caves and crannies.

Shot of Left side with Six-line

You can really see how much the xenia and anthelia have grown

New rock ready for corals

Last edited by divecj5; 10/31/2006 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10/31/2006, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

More pics

Shroom and Zoa Garden Area (you can see the new rocks I got)

I've propped the zoas against the other rock in the hopes that they'll spread eventually. They are really looking healthy though.

New rock and new shrooms

Mmmmm....candy

Last edited by divecj5; 10/31/2006 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10/31/2006, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

And last but not least my favorite shot out of the bunch:

So there's the update. Let me know how you guys think the tanks looking and coming along. I am shooting for another 5-10 pounds of rock over the next couple of months although like I said before, I am going to be a lot more picky and really just get rock that have good coralline already and fit in with the look I'm going.

Adam
Old 10/31/2006, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

it looks like your last pic didn't make it
Old 10/31/2006, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I showed up the first time and then didn't the next time. Try and refresh the page again and see if it shows up then. If not....I'm going to be cancelling my "pay for" hosting site and moving all my pics over to flickr. Let me know if it works after you hit the refresh button.

Adam
Old 10/31/2006, 03:21 PM
Premium Member

yup...that works
Old 10/31/2006, 03:22 PM
Premium Member

I considered hosting my own images at home on a server but I'm too eager to take things apart. The server might not last long LOL
Old 10/31/2006, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

I hear ya....it would be a whole lot easier considering I have a good bit of photos but then again, I'm with you, not sure I'd be willing to mess around with it all the time. Sometimes it's just easier to pay for someone else to do that.

Glad they're showing up
Old 11/01/2006, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

Look at this.....here I go and put all this time into posting an update with 10+ pics and no comments. What the deuce?

Just kidding...let me know what you all think about my new rock and six-line.

I think that the next corals that I'm looking to get are some of the following:[list=1][*]Ricordia (florida or yuma) to add to the mushroom and zoa garden on the right of the tank[*]Zoanthids (I would like to get some more on branching rock or just some nice variety to add to the garden[*]Open Brain (trachyphylia) I know I spelled it wrong[*]Blastomussa (just some with 2-3 polyps since they are EXPENSIVE and so I can grow them out[/list=1]

I am really happy with what I have now but would like to add some more color and more corals in general of course.

Adam
Old 11/01/2006, 10:51 AM
Premium Member

LOL..i know the feeling about not getting any feedback Those are real sharp pics. I like the clean look your tank has.

I think your choices of next coral are superb. I have all but ricordia that you've chosen and they make all the difference in the world
Old 11/01/2006, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

All of your options you ave gien you self seem very nice if i were you I would want a blasto but not go get one. This is the type of coral that runs into you if you know what i mean. There are so many color variations that it is hard to go out and just buy the first one you see esspecially at the price they are you should just let them fall into your lap. When you are at the store buying some salt and happen to see they just got in a blood red blasto then it is time. ya know that sort of thing.

All of the other choices you have are readily avalible in their most impresive color forms.

Have Fun

click the red house to see pics of my tank....the better pics are at the bottom :D
Old 11/01/2006, 11:43 AM
Reef Fanatic

Your pics are great, bobby. And start your own stinking thread, Blackheart!

(Ok, that was supposed to be in jest, but it is hard to hear my silly voice over the internet. Really, start a tank log thread and link it in here and we'll all jump on board. You really have some great pics above and I'd love to discuss what methods you use when photographing. Really, I would.... )

As for Corals, Adam, Ricordia are near and dear to my heart and have great resale value (yes, I really just said that). That is true of Zoanthids as well. And with recent exposure, I really like Blastos.