Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/20/2006, 12:16 PM
Premium Member

Just looked through your thread. Looking good!
Old 10/20/2006, 12:18 PM
Reef Fanatic

That's an AMAZING rock for $35. Very nice!!!

As for the algae, don't worry about it. Algae cycles are natural as a tank establishes and whenever you make a significant change in the INPUT to the tank (light, food, etc). In fact, they are a good thing. They are natures way of getting your tanks ecosystem back in balance.

As for the tigertail cucumber, that's a good thing, IMHO. Either that or a sand sifting goby. I'd probably prefer the goby, but not for any particular reason other then seeing it more. But the point is that having something to stir your sand for you on a regular basis is a GOOD THING. That will help crud in the sand have an opportunity to get back in the water and eventually skimmed...

RK: Where only bad things happen fast...

CRAZY 4 the CRASE - Oct 13, 2007
Conf for Reef Aquarists and SW Enthusiasts
Google it - Search for: craseokc
Old 10/20/2006, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Tiki for following along and taking the time to read through it. I hope that you can continue following it as well.

Hey Paul, good hearing from you...it's been a while since I've been able to be on here.

I figured that the algae wasn't a big deal and that it was just something that happened since I have more light now and also with the excess food that I introduced while I was gone. You should have seen my girlfriend when we first walked over to my place and I saw my tank for the first time...I think she was a little worried that I would be mad because of the algae. I made SURE to let her know that it wasn't a big deal and that some TLC would get rid of it It was pretty funny though and it was interesting to hear that she said that she turned my skimmer back on while I was gone and sat there for an hour to make sure it wasn't going to overflow....talk about a keeper

I was actually looking at a sand sifting goby but didn't know about them and their requirements for sand particle size. I have sugar fine sand in the tank and didn't know what they required. Is my sand ok? I might end up getting both but the cucumber possibly this afternoon. We'll see what they have.

Thanks for the compliments on the rock....when I went in there they tried to say that it was $50 but after I said, "the price went up $15 overnight?" they were great with customer service and said I could have it for $15. I thought I made out pretty good. I'm looking forward to seeing it grow and spread to another rock as well. I might add a small rubble piece under each corner and see if it spreads out that way.

I'll have to let you know if I get the cucumber or not. Thanks for the comments and advice on the algae. Although I thought it wasn't a big deal, I always get nervous when things like that happen. Just my nature I guess

Adam
Old 10/20/2006, 12:32 PM
Reef Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by divecj5
...talk about a keeper

I was actually looking at a sand sifting goby but didn't know about them and their requirements for sand particle size. I have sugar fine sand in the tank and didn't know what they required. Is my sand ok? I might end up getting both but the cucumber possibly this afternoon. We'll see what they have.
Yep, a keeper indeed!

And about the goby, your sand size is perfect. About getting both, the problem is that they are competitive eaters. In a 55g tank you REALLY only have enough space for one of the 2. So I'd have to recommend either one or ther other...

Old 10/20/2006, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice Paul. I will have to check and see what sort of sand sifting gobies they have at the LFS around here. Lately, the one LFS has been getting some really good things in at the store so that's a promising thing. I'm happy to hear that the sand should be suitable for a goby since I think they and blennies are some really cool fish, although they aren't very active swimmers.

Well, hopefully I'll be able to post again this weekend but if not, hope you followers of this thread have a good one and I'll post back when I get back. I have a lot of catching up to do on all of the threads I'm subscribed to so hopefully next week it will be back to normal....work and reading here on RC. Have a good one.

Adam
Old 10/25/2006, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

Sorry for the hiatus lately from the thread. Just got back from camping in the mountains yesterday and have been swamped here at work thus far. I guess that's what happens when you're out of the office for a week and then the following week for two days It was great to get away for a while though.

Everything looks great in the tank and the algae is starting to subside some now that I have the skimmer going full blast now and it's pulling some NASTY stuff out of the water.

To update from Friday, I went to the LFS that afternoon and they had both a cucumber and a diamond sand sifter goby. Only problem, the goby was already sold and I decided to just pass on getting the cucumber. I'm a little scared of the whole thing about them dying and polluting the tank and also, like the employee there said, you always run the risk of it just staying in one area of your tank and not getting all over like the goby will. So nothing new in the tank as of yet although I talked to the other LFS and they had three gobies as of this past Saturday. I'm planning on cruising over there this afternoon after work and seeing what they have.

I need to take some more pics since the xenia and blue anthelia are growing like maniacs now. I really think I found the optimal spot for them since they have at least doubled in size over the last two weeks. They really are growing like weeds now. I need to get some rock rubble and get them to attach to that now.

Hope all is well with those following along....time to do some more catching up here at work and on ALL I missed here on RC

Hopefully I'll have some pics for tomorrow. Til then, is there anything specific that I need to feed a sand sifter goby? I already feed frozen, flake, and pellet so I figure it would just get enough from algae on the sand and any leftovers, right?

Adam
Old 10/25/2006, 08:57 AM
Reef Fanatic

Your current feeding methods should be great, yeppo!

Old 10/25/2006, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

Awesome....I will be heading there this afternoon to see if they have any healthy, vivacious, and happy gobies
Old 10/26/2006, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

Well....no fish as of yet. I went to the LFS and they just actually finished putting a bunch of newly arrived fish in the tanks. They actually got in three diamond sand sifter gobies and a bunch of really cool wrasses and other fish as well. Since they just got them in, I asked to put one of the better looking gobies on hold til tomorrow or Saturday since there is no way that I'm buying a fish that just came in. One thing that kind of upset me was that they were selling one guy a snowflake eel that JUST came out of the shipping bag and then they were talking to another guy about buying a tang and some other fish that just came in as well. It's kind of discouraging to see the employees (only one or two of them) selling to people fish and critters that just basically came off the plane. I hope that the eel and other fish do alright in those peoples' tanks Fortunately that's not the way the owner deals with me (I always have them hold the fish and corals I buy for a week) so it works out alright. I guess he just needs to train his worker bees better.

So I'm a little unsure of whether I want to get the goby now or one of the really cool wrasses that they got in. They got a awesome looking Yellow Coris Wrasse and a cool looking Blue-headed Wrasse . I guess I'm just a little undecided whether I want something that just hops around on the sand (how much do they dig under rockwork?) or a fish that is a really active swimmer.

Any suggestions on which fish would be a good addition?

I have some more pics of my zoas so I will post those later on. BTW, the algae on the sand has really subsided and the coralline has REALLY taken off in the tank now. I am starting to see purple and pink growing on the what once was base rock
Old 10/26/2006, 03:10 PM
Reef Fanatic

This is where it becomes our job to be responsible reefkeeping evangelists. Assuming you have a good relationship with the store people, go in and talk things over with them. Tell them what you saw and how much it disappoints them.

And in the long run, if nothing changes, feel free to (in the words of Anthony Calfo) vote with your money. Go elsewhere. I just hope that elsewhere isn't worse.

Old 10/27/2006, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, I think I will actually mention something to the owner the next time that I am in the store. I'm just going to let him know how it kind of left me with a bad feeling when I left the store. Although I will still go back there and purchase SELECT things from them, it's discouraging to see like that. Oh well, hopefully the creatures survive in the persons tank since this particular LFS doesn't have a 7 day guarantee like the other one does.

Speaking of which, the other LFS is having a 30% off sale on all saltwater fish, corals, and inverts today through Monday. I think I'm going to go there early this afternoon and see what they have. Last time I was there I was only looking at the diamond sand sifter gobies but I might have to do some harder looking there today.

Any suggestions on cool additions to the tank fish wise? I'm really liking the way fairy, flasher, and other wrasses look. Might be an option.

Adam
Old 10/27/2006, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

I have a suggestion buy 20 lbs of live rock for your tank. If you are going to have a number of fish they will NEED places to hide from each other or they will get stressed and pass on. Also wrasses eat many small bugs floating around and living in your rock work. Therefore the rock will provide a natural food sorce to your fish. Lastly the rock in the tank as i am sure you have read will act as natural filtration. The rule of thumb is 1 lb of live rock per 1 gallon of water. After this rock cures then go find yourself some new fish

click the red house to see pics of my tank....the better pics are at the bottom :D
Old 10/27/2006, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion blackheart. I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I have actually been trying to get more live rock (although I'm not looking to get another 20 pounds). The LFS has been a little deficient in getting anything worthwhile rock-wise in the last couple of weeks. I think that I will be alright getting another fish at this point but that being said, I'm not planning on adding another one after this til I get more rock. I definitely agree with the natural filtration and plan on getting more rock in the future. At this point, I have an idea of what I would like the aquascape to look like so I've been a little more selective in the pieces I buy.

Thanks for the suggestions...I am always open to help and criticism here. It always helps being successful in the hobby.

Adam
Old 10/27/2006, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

As long as you have a peaceful tank you should be ok but if you see a fish getting picked on this is the time to start adding caves and such. If you do not want to add rock to you tank maybe adding it into the sump could be an option for you. Sorry the reason i wrote that is because i have some of the wrasses you mentioned including the red headed solar and cryptic six line and flasher. They are always picking at the rock work and they love swimming in and out of it so I thought you should know. Sorry if it came off as criticism here. Enjoy the hobby

click the red house to see pics of my tank....the better pics are at the bottom :D
Old 10/27/2006, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

No no....I really did mean that I like getting suggestions and "constructive" criticism I really appreciate the comments and help in this hobby. I wouldn't be as successful with my tank as I have been without help on this site and help from friends. I definitely agree about adding more hiding places. I plan on keeping the right side of my tank pretty open with lots of swimming room and then pretty much pack the left side full of a rock mountain full of ledges and hiding spots not only for the fish but for corals as well. Thanks for the help

Any pics of your tank you're willing to share? Sounds like you have some great fish.

Adam
Old 10/27/2006, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

I will put up pics on monday right now all i have are pics i have taken with my cell phone. i assume this thread will still be around by then

Old 10/27/2006, 10:08 AM
Reef Fanatic

I'd agree with blackheart - make it your next priority to get some more rock in that tank....

Old 10/27/2006, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Will do my friends
Old 10/27/2006, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, unless the world stops spinning before Monday....this thread will be alive and going
Old 10/27/2006, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

Back from Sale

Hey guys....just wanted to let you all know real quick before I head out the door that I went to the sale and got 10 pounds of live rock (great looking stuff too ) and also a incredible six-line wrasse. It is already in the tank and doing great (eating already) and it looks great. I'll have to grab some pics and post on Monday. I ended up getting the six-line for 40% off and the rock at 50% off (Halloween Sale) and also because I've gotten to know the owner pretty well....I guess that's what happens when you're in there all the time buying stuff.

Have a good weekend.

Adam
Old 10/27/2006, 11:20 PM
Reef Fanatic

Way freaking cool!

Old 10/29/2006, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

Adam - I linked your thread as a reference in the T-5's Q & A thread so some fellow reefers could check out your setup however the pics in your thread are gone

Just wanted to let you know! Reef on
Old 10/29/2006, 09:21 PM
Premium Member

I can't view any pics
Old 10/30/2006, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

Sorry for not getting back on here but it was a busy weekend heading up to the South Carolina vs. Tennessee game and then back that same night.

The sixline (Kosmo) is doing awesome and has been eating basically all and any food that I put in the tank for him the day after I put him in there. I am REALLY happy that I ended up getting a sixline since they are just such cool looking fish. I hope that he isn't aggressive (doesn't look to be now) because I had a friend that put in a juvenile tang in his tank that had a six-line and he thinks the six-line ended up killing it. Right now he's a model citizen in the tank and the clowns and he/she are getting along great. He usually just scoots around through all the caves (thanks to the live rock that I bought ) and keeps to the lower portion of the tank whereas the clowns swim mostly in the middle of the water column. My girlfriend really likes the six-line as well and was actually excited that I got it on Friday

So now I'm still planning on getting another 10 pounds of live rock in the coming months but they will just be specific shapes and sizes to finish off and add some other cool features to the scaping.

It's time for a couple more corals now...well when I get some more funds of course Time to sit back and enjoy things. I need to get a couple pieces of rock rubble and let the blue anthelia and pulsing xenia I got grow on those so i can frag them. The blue anthelia has completely covered the small rock that I got it on now.
Old 10/30/2006, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

Well that pretty well sucks about the pics. I'm not really sure what ended up happening since I haven't moved any of the pics (other than the zoas) in my photography website.

Do you all have any suggestions on how I can go back and remap these to thier current location? When I scroll back through the post I don't even see any red X's or anything Not sure what to do.

Let me know and I'll get them back up and running as soon as I find out how.

Adam