Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/17/2005, 07:16 AM
Registered Member

i was at my lfs recently and their was a guy in there with his son and this is what i heard
customer:i want to buy some goldfish
attendant: ok, which ones?
customer: anyones, the last two lots we had my son tried to give them chocolate milk
Old 03/17/2005, 09:26 AM
Knowledgable LFS employee

It's a little known fact that Goldfish love chocolate milk. Hehehe
Old 03/17/2005, 09:57 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

I had a guy, when I was at the lfs, that was talking about all his fish kept dieing, and didn't know why, start talking to him about his set up, fish, etc... The guy did not have a clue. I told him to buy a good book (even showed him some) and said that he would save a lot of money by reading and researching.

he said " I'd rather learn by doing it myself and killing stuff than to read what someone else has done"
Old 03/17/2005, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bboyin4lyf
sorry shogun my bad. lol but it was pretty funny plus sad at the same time

ok how bout this one- not at a fish store but similar,

i ring up a lady bout an add for a 67g

went and had a look. the aquarium was the pitts. all corals were dying and shrunken. all fish were sickly looking.

the lady had " wait for it all you nemo fans" a combination of 30+ clown fish of all different varieties.

me: what corals have you kept previously?
lady with confused look on face: " many nemo homes"
me: whats a nemo home? "it hadnt dawned on me yet"
lady with serious look on face: " you obviously havent kept marine fish before"

i nearly cried with laughter. sorry bout the long post
oh my that is funny....i'm cryin right now....this a good thread, but that made me laugh .....i'm still drying tears.......thanks....i needed that...
Old 03/17/2005, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

Good Thread! Keep them coming!

Thanks, Fzech
Old 03/17/2005, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

saaad....

LFS Employee making small talk: "so my friends bet me that a choco star wasn't able to survive in a reef tank, so i put one in my 55 and it's survived for 3 days so far, ha ha"
me: blink blink "you serious?"
LFS: "yeah, made a few bucks"
me: "oh... aren't you afraid it'll eat your corals?"
LFS: looked at me like i was crazy....

i give up on these people. i hate to butt in and give my two cents because very seldom is good advice appreciated.
Old 03/18/2005, 03:11 AM
Registered Member

Indigo Montoya, thanks lol i wasnt sure if people would find it amusing but im glad i could help
Old 03/18/2005, 03:49 AM
Member Registered

This wasn't in a store but just as relevant and stupid.
I was taking a marine bio class and we went on lots of field trips. One trip we took was to some tide pools. As we reached THE OCEAN! one girl looks at me and asks " is this salt water?" Remember that this is a marine bio student. We were halfway through the semester already.

Another time in that same class we were watching a film on tropical ecology. The film shows some scenes of a RAIN FOREST. Another girl asks the teacher " is it HUMID there?" WHAT!!!! Do you know what a RAIN forest is?
Old 03/18/2005, 03:53 AM
Member Registered

I worked in LFSs for years and I have a bunch of 'em. One that stands out was when a customer wanted to return a pleco(for you salt only people thats an algae eater). I asked her why and she said that it wasn't eating the algae in her tank. I asked her if it was eating at all and she said that it was. Get this. Her assumption was that we didn't train the pleco properly. I told her that we don't train the fish to eat algae. They just normaly do. She left still convinced that we were a bad store because we sell untrained algae eaters.
Old 03/18/2005, 08:21 AM

You mean you don't train them? We keep a tiny wip behind the customer service counter to keep them in line. LOL
Old 03/18/2005, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

ok, so what is maintenence? does that mean that you'll come out and do all the work and keep the fish alive. I want a tank but all i want to do is look at it.
Old 03/18/2005, 01:38 PM
Member Registered

Aquarium maintanance companies go to your aquarium (home or business) and take care of the tank. I own such a company and some tank don't even need to fed by the owners. We just put automatic feeders on them and check the feeders regularly.
Old 03/18/2005, 03:28 PM
Ignore me & I'll go away!

I like my approach to guaranteeing you won't sell a book:

Show them to the customer.
Old 03/18/2005, 03:38 PM
Fish Nutzi

Quote:
Originally posted by Rikko
I like my approach to guaranteeing you won't sell a book:

Show them to the customer.
Most will see the price and say 'yeah it's a good book but I'll get it another day', then turn around and try to buy $100 in fish or coral they have no clue about.
Old 03/18/2005, 04:24 PM
Moved On

"How many koi can I put in my whiskey barrel pond?" For anyone that doesn't know, koi will easily reach 8" in a year, and a whiskey barrel pond is about 35 gallons. Also common is how many koi can I put in a 55 gallon tank.

My favorite is always about water in the bag with fish. "Doesn't it need more water in the bag?" After explaining that they breath oxygen just like humans and water only holds so much oxygen blah blah blah, "Ok, will you put more water in the bag?"

I had one lady come in during lunch and buy 6 cardinal tetras (FW) and ask that I put 5 in one bag and 1 in a bag by itself. Curious as I knew she had a 55 gallon angel tank, I asked why the 1 was by himself... "I like to take one to work with me." "You mean you take 5 of them home, put them in the tank, and take the other one back to work with you, then put him in the tank when you get home in the evening?" "Yes" "Don't you think that's cruel to the fish? I mean it's a pretty big world out there to him, and he's only got so much air, the pH will change, and he poops and pees in the water he's living in..." "I've only had a few die."
Old 03/18/2005, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

that just makes me cringe!!!!!!! although seeing a lady walking around work holding a fish in a bag all day would look pretty funny.

Al G Blenny " As we reached THE OCEAN! one girl looks at me and asks " is this salt water?" -- this ones deffinatly winning so far. im still trying to wipe the tears from my eyes

Old 03/18/2005, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

I still want to know what the heck a Nemo Home is.
Old 03/18/2005, 10:48 PM
Local Lizard

I can only assume a nemo home is an anenome.

My favorite was a lady who came in to my store and asked me why her clownfish always kept dying after only a couple hours...she blantantly told me that we were scam artists selling unhealthy fish (they were captive bred clowns btw...nice and healthy)...so I probed a bit, how big is your tank, filter, etc...then I asked what type of skimmer she had...she gave me that blank look that any LFS employee knows quite well...so the bells and whistles start going off in my head....so I ask her what her salinity is at...again, blank stare..."you do know that clownfish are saltwater fish right?" Open the flood gates, here come the tears.

I worked at LFS's for 5 years...it's a love hate relationship...you want to choke some customers, but there are a select few that keep you going.
Old 03/18/2005, 10:59 PM
RC Mod

So, in all honesty, in a case like that, how hard is it to avoid saying, "You are a complete idiot, and rude to boot."

Not that I would say that...
Old 03/18/2005, 11:25 PM
Premium Member

6.5 billion friggin' idiots and counting...

somedays i'm so embarrassed to be human...

sigh.
Old 03/19/2005, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
somedays i'm so embarrassed to be human...
LOL That's Funny !

I have been to many LFS and I will say I have heard more dumb customers than Dumb employees!
I seen a lady walk out of a LFS because they wouldnt sell her 8 SW fish for her new tank, she was mad and just walked out.
No matter what LFS I go to I see clueless customers!!! And no I dont work at a fish store.

Kaye
Old 03/29/2005, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cowman345
"I have algae on my glass will an algae-eater eat algae?" - my mom.
classic.
Old 03/29/2005, 04:23 PM

Me: Wearing our store shirt and cleaning a tank.
Customer: Do you work here?
Me: Nope.
Old 03/29/2005, 04:32 PM
Dumb Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally posted by TANGBOY5000

I have gone into LFS wearing work clothes from other job, that say AutoZOne or DNR (depending on which job)

And have people come up to me, and ask " do you have any dogs?" or just the other day, " how much would a 40 gallon set up cost?"

It amazes me how some people can go through life so stupid.
Old 03/29/2005, 07:24 PM
Ignore me & I'll go away!

Quote:
Originally posted by TANGBOY5000
My favourite reply to that is "No, I'm just a fan."

It happened a couple more times today so I figured I'd post this one..
Ok, long spine diadema urchins.. You know the one. Aren't their eyes so coooooool?

Sometimes I tell them. Sometimes I don't.

A clownfish is a common name for an anemonefish. A clownfish is a not-so-common name for a clown loach, a freshwater botia. You can imagine the arguments I've gotten into before somebody realized it was a semantic problem.

What I really hate are the question you're asked that are both yes and no answers.. Ie. We have a 72 bowfront display in the store with a Prizm hanging off it and then a whack of powerheads inside it. *pointing at the Prizm* "Is this the only filter on this tank?"
Well.. Yes.. No.. A skimmer is technically the only filter a system can have since it's the only thing that physically removes waste.. But the LR is "filtering" the water through chemical action... But then the powerheads aren't technically "filtering" anything but they're aiding the LR through currents...
The blank look usually comes up long before I start hurting myself.

I love this one:
"Is saltwater really that hard to do?"
"No, it's actually pretty damn easy."
"Then why do people always say it's so hard?"
"It needs a little more care, but as long as you know what you're doing it's easy."
*frightened look* "I'll stick with freshwater"