Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/27/2003, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

Pricing of pre-cut acrylic

I planning on building a refugium and called a local plastics supplier; I prefer to have the acrylic pre-cut to simplify the project.

He quoted me $300 in parts for 1/2" thick 36x20x18 refugium
(total 12 sheets of varying sizes)

Does that sound reasonable or should I just bite the bullet
and get the equipment myself?

In general.. what is a reasonable price for cut acrylic?

-B.
Old 10/27/2003, 08:05 PM
28" Rainbow Trout

Why do you want 1/2" thick for this? I used 1/4" for a sump 33x13x16 and it doesnt bow in the least. The plan/cut list, which I cant find, was designed to fit 1@4x8 sheet for all the outers and 1 or 2 of the inner braces (first and last) and I used 1/8" for the bubble traps. I actually kept all the 1/4" inner dividers to build the 2nd sump knowing the 1st was a learning experience, so all my inner dividers are just 1/8". Lesson from experience, put a rim around the top so if someone pulls on 1 pannel it will not come apart! I believe I paid about $150 including the cuts ~ and that bought 2 sumps.

Best way to cut cost is to design your sump(s) to fit 1 sheet of 1/4".

Hope this helps.

The one I built is 2" to high but shipping would probably be high. You dont list where you are but if you're interested in it let me know. I'd let it go for $75 plus shipping and what ever the costs to crate it well enough to withstand shipping. pm me if interested. I'd need about a week or better to build my new one to replace the old one. xp isnt recognizing my camera but see attached plans and if interested I'll fool with xp till it will download my pics. I have pic of it in the camera already.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp sump design.bmp (30.9 KB, 193 views)
Old 10/27/2003, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

cut acrylic

I bought a rough cut sheet (4x8) of 1/4 acrylic for under 100 bucks. I had it cut into 2 strips 15 3/4 x 96 and 1 10 x 96. My friend steve68 did all the cross cut. It made 1 sump 30x10x16 & 1 fuge of the same size. Pic of half finished sump.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 015 small.jpg (32.5 KB, 150 views)
Old 10/27/2003, 09:50 PM
RC Mod

1/2" material is rather expensive stuff.
Old 10/27/2003, 11:25 PM
Engineer

I just got done loading the trunk with a 30x20x18 out of 3/8" for a commercial account, and it is heavy and built like a tank. Way over-kill for any home use.

Use 1/4" for that size, put a perimeter brace around the top, and reinforce the corners and you will be set.

Zeph
Old 10/28/2003, 12:06 AM
TRC Leader

Seriously, 1/4" material is perfect for that size sump.

Including a few cuts, you should be able to get it for under $100, including sales tax.
Old 10/28/2003, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

One thing that's not discussed on this thread is the use of cast acrylic vs. extruded. I strongly suggest that anyone building a sump/refugium use cast acrylic. On their website, Cyro (big acrylic manufacturer) specifically recommends against using extruded for any water pressure applications. This is because extruded has a much lower molecular weight, and with the absorbtion of water, is less reliable under pressure. (All acrylic absorbs some water on the molecular level)

I personally think that the issue here is longevity; my extruded sump lasted the few months I used it with no problems, but when I emptied it in exchange for a cast sump I made, I definitely noticed some degradation at the seams. I really think cast acrylic will hold up better over time. Cyro also recommends against using solvent welding for pressure seams, although everyone does it. for my next sump, though, I'll probably rout a shallow channel in the bottom piece (cut oversize) for the sides/ends, then use weldon #40 for that joint, and flushtrim the excess. I'm pretty sure that joint would be really strong.

Plus, cast is not really that much more expensive. I think a 3/8" sheet (4X8) is about $150 at mcmaster carr. Because it's harder, you have a little less tolerance with fitting the joints, but it's easier to machine the acrylic with some precision. I guess an analogy would be using hardwood instead of pine for a load bearing project.

Anyhow, just my 2 cents.
Old 10/28/2003, 07:24 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the help!

I'll go and price out 1/4" and 3/8" and see how much that
lowers the price. I imagine that the typical refugium design
is more sturdy than a basic tank design anyhow (because
of all the cross braces) and yes... I am planning on putting
a brace across the top ..

I got the basic sizing from www.garf.org and although
they typically recommend 3/8" I wanted to upgrade a
bit.. had no idea that would influence the price that much

I'm just a conservative person when it comes to water
in a DIY tank in my house

-B.
Old 10/28/2003, 08:51 AM
TRC Leader

Be sure to visit my site for ideas when building your sump. Click the little red house above this post.
Old 10/28/2003, 12:34 PM
Coral Cutter! Muahaha!

The Garf calculator is extremely conservative in regards to thickness. Put in 13"x2"x2" and it'll tell you to use 3/8". Use it only as a general tool. For the size you want to do, you could get away with 1/4" if you euro brace it. If you want to be 'safe' go with 3/8". The price difference between 1/4" and 1/2" is incredible.
Old 10/28/2003, 10:08 PM
Premium Member

Heh make sure you redo your measurements, the thickness of the Plexi may change a few things.....
Old 10/29/2003, 02:50 PM
moved here

Quote:
Originally posted by mattboy
Plus, cast is not really that much more expensive. I think a 3/8" sheet (4X8) is about $150 at mcmaster carr.
$312 for a 4x8 1/4" sheet of cast
$109 for the same extruded

http://www.mcmaster.com/
Old 10/29/2003, 03:07 PM
Engineer

Find someplace local. A sheet of 1/4" cast should be no more than $90, and can be found for $70 if clear.

Zeph
Old 10/29/2003, 03:13 PM
Done....Stopped...Reefin'

I just bought a 1/4" sheet of cast at Laird plastics for $80.00 last week.

McMaster Carr must be smoking crack

Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents; it was loaned to you by your children. - Ancient Indian Proverb
Old 10/29/2003, 04:44 PM
Coral Cutter! Muahaha!

Cast is typically more expensive than extruded, because of the quality and clarity.

$312 for a 4x8 1/4" sheet of cast is outragous. It shouldn't cost more than $180.

$80 for a 4x8 - 1/4" sheet of cast is lower than most extruded pricing. Is there a website for Laird plastics? If it's that cheap, I'll buy from them all the time. My local cost for 1/4" clear cast is $5.09 a sq foot. Extruded clear is $3.80 a sq foot.

Anything cut to size, will have a surcharge for the cutting. Expect to pay 20-50% more in cost to have them cut it to size.
Old 10/29/2003, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric Boerner
Cast is typically more expensive than extruded, because of the quality and clarity.

$312 for a 4x8 1/4" sheet of cast is outragous. It shouldn't cost more than $180.

$80 for a 4x8 - 1/4" sheet of cast is lower than most extruded pricing. Is there a website for Laird plastics? If it's that cheap, I'll buy from them all the time. My local cost for 1/4" clear cast is $5.09 a sq foot. Extruded clear is $3.80 a sq foot.

Anything cut to size, will have a surcharge for the cutting. Expect to pay 20-50% more in cost to have them cut it to size.
Be careful what you buy when it comes to acrylic, I can sell you cheap a$$ import acrylic for $80/sheet all day and do quite well at it. Problem is; you'll never know what you're getting other than cell cast acrylic. You won't know how well (if at all) it glues, looks, machines, polishes, or anything of the like. Of the three major brands (Polycast, Cyro, Plexi-glas), Laird sells Polycast and Plexi-glas, now if it's one of those two, then $80/sheet is reasonable but for the odd import - you're getting taken in more ways than one (IMO)

James
Old 10/30/2003, 08:31 AM
Done....Stopped...Reefin'

It was Polycast.

I do not know if they have a website, they have a local distribution warehouse here in Rochester, NY so they are conveinant for me.

Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents; it was loaned to you by your children. - Ancient Indian Proverb
Old 10/30/2003, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

One thing I found locally is that it is no problem buying full sheets of 1/4" or 1/2" cell cast from local suppliers and when I discuss wanting them cut they tell me no problem on the phone. But when I actually fax them what I want cut and that I need exact sizes, for a final quote I don't get a reply. I've tried 3 distributors and 2 fabricators here in Dallas with the same result

So I decided to price out having a 24" cube tank built for me and a custom sump and quickly realized that It would be considerably less expensive to buy a decent table saw that I can cut up to 30" wide on as well as a few other peices of equipment and have the full sheets "rough cut" down to managable sizes. After words I still have the equipment for any other projects I want to do.

So guess what I told everyone to get me for X-mas?????? Home Depot Gift Cards ...LOL...

" Just Because I'm not afraid
to voice my opinion, doesn't
mean you should take it as gospel.....I really don't want
the responsability ;-) "
Old 10/30/2003, 01:10 PM
TRC Leader

rpgraff, have you checked out DFWMAS yet? Not to mention I've been building sumps for people in the area for some time now....

Check out my site (the little red house above this post) to see several.
Old 10/30/2003, 06:35 PM
Premium Member

I have checked out the DFWMAS web site, but haven't been to a meeting yet, they haven't been at a convienent time for me.

Nice web site, it looks like you do quality work. When I was in the hobby from the late 80's to 1996 I built quite a few sumps, trickle filters and skimmers for myself and members of a club I belonged to in the Philadelphia area.

" Just Because I'm not afraid
to voice my opinion, doesn't
mean you should take it as gospel.....I really don't want
the responsability ;-) "
Old 10/30/2003, 07:40 PM
TRC Leader

The next meeting is the annual frag swap meeting. Maybe you'll be able to come....

Thanks!
Old 10/30/2003, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

I'd do some shopping around. I just bought the 1/2" pieces for my 2x2x5 ft 150 gallon tank from a local plastics business for $160. All pieces were from their "scraps" from other projects and all were given to me cut to size.