Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/08/2004, 10:22 AM
Mr. Leaks A Lot!

Got sucked into the overflow?
Old 05/08/2004, 10:38 AM
Reef Addict

yeah that looks like the overflow...
Old 05/08/2004, 10:46 AM
Premium Member

That's the main tank.

She's sleeping with her tail completely in the overflow.

It really freaked me out at first, but she's been doing it for a couple weeks now and she's perfectly healthy.

If you want to know - ask. But I won't promise you'll like the answer.
Old 05/08/2004, 11:22 AM
3000m club

That's too funny!

"smart people win debates, stupid people win shouting matches"
-skippy
Old 05/08/2004, 12:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gregt
That's the main tank.

She's sleeping with her tail completely in the overflow.

Steve
Old 05/08/2004, 01:11 PM
Mr. Leaks A Lot!

just hope she don't get sucked through the slots
Old 05/08/2004, 07:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
Oh no. The clownfish got stuck to the duct tape.
Old 05/08/2004, 08:59 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Yellotang
just hope she don't get sucked through the slots
Same here.

Old 05/09/2004, 05:50 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kwjones
That's really nice. Quit reminding me that I can't afford MH and keep corals like that right now.
You know, you don't necessary have to have MH's. I've been quite successfull growing out SPS with a lot of VHO and no MH. You just have to have the VHO's close to the water, and the coral close to the top of the tank. In fact, a lot of times the coloring is even better than under MH's.

(ducks for cover from the MH zealots)

Old 05/09/2004, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

I'm suprised no one had mentioned your 175w MH.......the zealots would say they are not enough

How have you placed your SPS so far? How many inches are most from the bulbs & do you think you can place them all the way down at the bottom? Have they been in there long enough for color changes to take place?
Old 05/09/2004, 07:23 AM
Premium Member

Right you are Ed.

Remember, that the tank is only 20" tall. Anything more than 175 really would cause more problems than anything else.

As it is, a lot of the corals have lost too much color from being at the top and I've had to move them down. I'd say on average the SPS are 10" from the top surface of the water and another 10" from the bulb.

Old 05/09/2004, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

Right, I knew of your 20" hieght. I'd like to place corals anywhere in my new(still planning--72Lx48Wx24H) system, & I'm wrestling with which MH bulbs to use. I may just use what I have already & see how it works out........currently two 400w on my 120g reef & 5 175w collecting dust.
Old 05/09/2004, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm suprised no one had mentioned your 175w MH.......the zealots would say they are not enough
Quote:
the tank is only 20" tall. Anything more than 175 really would cause more problems than anything else.
The general rule of thumb I've understood was 18 inches and under, 175 watt. 19 -24 inches, 250 watt MH, over 24 inches in depth 250 w HQI or 400w .....
But keep in mind w/ the monster skimmer he's running, the water is exceptionally clear, (better light transmission due to less difraction from particulate matter), also Greg probably wont be placing the high light needing SPS on the bottom of the tank.
As far as too much lighting causing problems.....that can even be dealt w/ according to lamp placement height. The inverse square law addresses this issue. I have a 21 inch deep tank that I've got 250 HQI's for, (I got a deal on them). I plan on dealing w/ the extra light levels by raising the reflectors to about 12 inches off the water surface. That should help out tremoundously.
Quote:
I'd like to place corals anywhere in my new(still planning--72Lx48Wx24H) system, & I'm wrestling with which MH bulbs to use. I may just use what I have already & see how it works out........currently two 400w on my 120g reef & 5 175w collecting dust.
Hmmm.... I'm no guru on the light factors here, (Sanjay, where ya at?) but I would consider at least 250 w Mogul based bulbs for this tank, possibly HQI's. I dont think that the 175's will cut it for a 24 inch deep tank. Maybe you can sell the 175's or work out a trade for 250's????
HTH,
Nick
Old 05/09/2004, 10:13 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maxxII
The general rule of thumb I've understood was 18 inches and under, 175 watt. 19 -24 inches, 250 watt MH, over 24 inches in depth 250 w HQI or 400w .....
But keep in mind w/ the monster skimmer he's running, the water is exceptionally clear, (better light transmission due to less difraction from particulate matter), also Greg probably wont be placing the high light needing SPS on the bottom of the tank.
True

Quote:
As far as too much lighting causing problems.....that can even be dealt w/ according to lamp placement height. The inverse square law addresses this issue. I have a 21 inch deep tank that I've got 250 HQI's for, (I got a deal on them). I plan on dealing w/ the extra light levels by raising the reflectors to about 12 inches off the water surface. That should help out tremoundously.
Yes, but why spend money on the electricity to run a higher wattage light and then move it higher to reduce it's efficiency?

Quote:
Hmmm.... I'm no guru on the light factors here, (Sanjay, where ya at?) but I would consider at least 250 w Mogul based bulbs for this tank, possibly HQI's. I dont think that the 175's will cut it for a 24 inch deep tank. Maybe you can sell the 175's or work out a trade for 250's????
HTH,
Nick
Personally, I think they'd be fine, but I am in the minority.

Old 05/09/2004, 10:30 AM
Premium Member

I'm sure that nice white starboard is helping out by acting like a reflector.

“Because I'm hard you will not like me, but the more you hate me the more you will learn!” – Gunnery Sgt. Hartman
Old 05/09/2004, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, but why spend money on the electricity to run a higher wattage light and then move it higher to reduce it's efficiency?
I'm using BlueLine IV's made by Sunlight Supply...basically IceCap E-ballasts in a pretty blue, (prewired) box. I live in a older home in St Louis and power usage was a concern. So I went w/ the E-ballasts cause they use less power overall than the magnetic ballasts. I went w/ the HQI's because we have central air and I was trying to avoid using a chiller, (tank is 58 gallons) so if I run w/ an open canopy and suspend the lights, I get better air/heat exchange. The HQI's allow me to maximize this......besides, the real impetus was that I got a great deal on the HQI pendants, (ROIII) and since they were plug and play.......and I plan on upgrading tank size in a few years, (thinking 160 gallon...48Lx30Wx24 high) so I bought w/ that in mind.
But I completely agree w/ you about spending money and then compensating to avoid burning the corals.

Quote:
I'm sure that nice white starboard is helping out by acting like a reflector.
No doubt, I believe that Jerel actually has fire corals going UNDER rockwork solely because of the reflective properties of his starboard. But what happens when the coraline growth covers the starboard?????
Nick
Old 05/09/2004, 11:29 AM
Premium Member

Yeah the reflection does make a big difference. I'm not sure if the corraline will ever completely grow over the starboard. Maybe over time it will.... Even so, coralline is pretty reflective as well. The dark colors of coralline aren't going to grow on the areas getting direct MH lighting....

Old 05/09/2004, 12:40 PM
3000m club

Quote:
Yeah the reflection does make a big difference. I'm not sure if the corraline will ever completely grow over the starboard. Maybe over time it will.... Even so, coralline is pretty reflective as well. The dark colors of coralline aren't going to grow on the areas getting direct MH lighting....
Get some urchins in there once the coralline starts growing decently. They'll help keep it under control.

-skippy
Old 05/09/2004, 01:28 PM
Premium Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by photobarry
Get some urchins in there once the coralline starts growing decently. They'll help keep it under control. [QUOTE]

Or will they help spread it faster?

Old 05/09/2004, 01:45 PM
I'm Not Creative

any more pics greg??

Fox's newest reality show 'Fast animals, slow children.'
Old 05/09/2004, 01:56 PM
Premium Member

Whatcha wanna see?

Old 05/09/2004, 02:11 PM
3000m club

Quote:
Or will they help spread it faster?
My coralline was already covering everything before I got the urchins so I don't know. I have somewhat less than I used to.

We want to see pictures of everything!

-skippy
Old 05/09/2004, 02:24 PM
I'm Not Creative

coral shots, full tank shots, the coraline on the starboard, anything you can get in your viewfinder...

Fox's newest reality show 'Fast animals, slow children.'
Old 05/09/2004, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

Sorry guys, was busy working on the RC migration all day. Never even had a chance to look at the tank....

Old 05/09/2004, 10:14 PM
Say Cheese!!

It's ok Greg, we'll just all come back at 7:00 am, and you can have lots of pictures ready for then. Carry on.

:P

It's a small world........But I wouldn't want to paint it.