Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/28/2007, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

Any Sumpless SPS Tanks?

I am building 75 gallon tank and was wondering if there are any successfull sumpless sps tanks are there and if so what are your specs?

I have in mind to use Octopus HB300 HOB skimmer with Two Koralia 3 along with LR for filtration, flow and skimming. TX5 for lighting. The Octopus skimmer will come with surface skimmer.
Old 11/28/2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

I have a 75gal that I recently switched over to mainly a sps/clam tank. I'm running the Tunze Reefpack 500 which I just got the pump to mod the skimmer to the 9010 model. Currently have a Koralia 3 and tunze 6055 with single controller. I will be pulling the koralia this weekend and adding 2 tunze 6000's on a multicontroller for more flow. I have an AB hood with 2 250watt Reeflux 12k DE bulbs and 2 power compacts, I think they are 32watts each. I have a 2x54watt T5 hood ordered to add more actinic to my tank. I also have a HOB fuge made by cpr with cheato in it. Everything has been doing great except for a couple of frags that have died. I believe they died because of low flow rate so that is why I'm adding the 2 tunze 6000's. That should give me plenty of flow.
Old 11/28/2007, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

Thanks, what about water topoff and two part dosing and calcium reactor. How do you do surface skimming?
Old 11/28/2007, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

Actually now that you mention Tunze Reefpack 500, did it work well on
- Surface skimming?
- Water level sensor and auto topoff?
- Protein skimmer 9010 work ok on 75g?

I may look into the Tunze Reefpack 500.
Old 11/28/2007, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

I'm thinking of doing a 500 gallon sumpless tank by dividing off one side with an overflow and putting all the equipment in there except for the circulation pumps. Figure I can save on electricity without having to pump back up from a sump, not to mention not having to worry about leaks in the plumbing.

James
Old 11/28/2007, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

The reefpack is working great. I just finally hooked up the auto topoff last week. Probably not the brightest thing to do since I was out of town for 4 days after only testing it for a day. Everything worked out great. Looks like the bucket they give you with the setup will hold around 5 or 6 days worth of topoff for me. I got it and it was supposed to be modified so I could use the magnets to hold it instead of the mounting kit. Never asked Roger at Tunze but it looks like they are now made so you can use the magnets with them. When I discussed modifying it he mentioned drilling holes for the magnets but mine didn't have any holes in it that looked like they were drilled by him.

I also bought the kalk reactor that hooks up to the topoff but I haven't installed it yet. I hope to have time to do that this weekend.

The skimmer is working great. It doesn't run wet though if that is something you prefer. Mine stays full of dry foam. I just got the new pump/impeller from Tunze yesterday so that is also a project for this weekend. Though the skimmer was working great Roger recommended modding it to the 9010 since I was planning on mainly an sps/clam tank. If you go with the reefpack 500 and want the 9010, go to the tunze forum here and discuss it with Roger. He may be able to send it to you already modified. It also might be cheaper that way. Not sure if they are still behind but I had to wait around 8 weeks on mine and it was dropped shipped directly from tunze. I'm lucky since I live outside Dallas and tunze is in Austin.

With the topoff now in place it is surface skimming great. Between that and the water movement from the tunze pumps I have no buildup on top of the water.
Old 11/28/2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

Sounds like I may go with the Tunze reefpack also. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 11/28/2007, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

55 gallon BB remora pro with skimmer box.
I dose 2 part everyday...kinda of a pain since you have to do it in the AM.
2 nano streams on either side and a maxi mod in the middle of tank facing down behind the rocks at the bottom of the tank to keep crap in suspension.
I do have to blast my rock at least once a week...but all is growing and growing well.
Just have to stay on top of WC--
the other downfall is that some of my SPS is exposed to air for about 3 min each week, since i have no sump and do about 15-20 gallons a week, it exposed the corals at the top of the reef.
no one seems stressed so far and I've been running this tank for a month now.

ATO is with RO/DI in a 5 gal bucket under stand...I use the JBJ ATO and an aqualifter pump, so it just drips into the display---I think it can only fill about 2 gallons in 5 hours--avoid having a big flood this way.
Old 11/28/2007, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

In my 20gallon sumpless, I used to use JBJ ATO hook up to MJ600 for water topoff. It flooded one time, think problem with one of the sensors.

Since that time, I changed to aqualifter hook up to coralife digital power supply with timer. So it adds fixed amout of water daily.

I used to have 55 gallon sumpless with fowlr with Remora Pro.
Old 11/28/2007, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

it all depends on what you want to do.
My new SPS was a softie LPS about 2 months ago.

For me it works, I just do a lot of WC's--every week.
My biggest expense is salt
Old 11/30/2007, 02:33 AM
Registered Member

Re: Any Sumpless SPS Tanks?

Quote:
Originally posted by scunfcu
I am building 75 gallon tank and was wondering if there are any successfull sumpless sps tanks are there and if so what are your specs?

I have in mind to use Octopus HB300 HOB skimmer with Two Koralia 3 along with LR for filtration, flow and skimming. TX5 for lighting. The Octopus skimmer will come with surface skimmer.
The bh300 octo does not come with a surface skimmer, if you wait till december 21st marinesolution will be releasing the octo bh300f which is a reciric hob. It will have 2 resun pumps in the back so no pumps are seen in the tank. And it also comes with a surface skimmer.

Quote:
Luke
Hello guys, just thought i'd say that the recirc hot octo's will be in at marine solutions around the 21 of dec. They'll be 230bux. I'm guessing they are going to be one of the best hot's around.

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/c...products_id=134
Old 11/30/2007, 03:51 AM
Registered Member

I use a schuran A+S. A little loud but does an awesome job.

Old 11/30/2007, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

Yep, David from Reef Octopus told me it'll be few weeks for HB-300F. Still Needle Wheel design.
Old 11/30/2007, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

For $230 bucks you can look at Tunze 9010, but its internal skimmer.
Old 12/09/2007, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

I have a 20H that I am moving in the direction of SPS only. I use a Deltec MCE600 skimmer, and couldn't be happier with the skimmer.

HTH,
Anna