Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2006, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by siskiou

I have a Profilux II Plus on pre-order and it seems you are the first US owner of one!
He is Canadian

Seems they have been available up here for a couple of Months.

J
Old 12/27/2006, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

I have some friends in the Seattle area that are going to be one of the first to carry the Profilux controller. After seeing this thing at MACNA in Houston I'm about ready to dump my ACIII Pro.

By the way it's http://barrierreefaquariums.com/ that will be carrying the controller.
Old 12/27/2006, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

I never was able to puzzle out how someone might make a plywood tank look good - and you've more than done that. The presentation quality is top shelf. From the "viewing room" you would never suspect that you were looking at a big plywood box.

I may have to consider plywood when I build my monster tank (many many years from now). Easier to work with than acrylic or glass, IMO, especially if you are fabricating your own tank. The way my setup will likely be would require the tank to be on-site before the basement is closed in, as you'd never get it down the stairs, unless it's built in-place.

Of course, the fish room quality matches the excellent workmanship everywhere else in the project. Bravo.
Old 12/28/2006, 03:43 AM
Premium Member

clean clean clean....awsome tank makes me like hockey evan more
eh.... going to steal some of ur ideas very nice great job...
Old 12/28/2006, 04:02 AM
Registered Member

hello all,

Thanks so much for all the kind words.

Guess its time for me to do some updating

All has been well, i have changed some things...im wondering when i can call it "finished".
And of course the corals are still waaay too small.

I am in the process of designing a bigger skimmer, so i was gonna wait to update...but i guess i can show you when the time comes.

Doc`s,
Yes, i did do a ton of hours on it...more like a reef "bender".
I use a couple items from the zeovit line, but still have yet to delve into the "bacterial" portion of the program.
Im a little lost on your question in regards to the ply board.

Siskiou,

Yes, i believe it was the first unit in north America to a hobbiest.
I recieved it more as a Beta tester for just the north American versions, with its converted outlets and such.
I think the first batch available was just in the last couple weeks however.

All in all a wonderful unit.
For everything that i have set-up, it has peformed flawlessly.
But i really have yet to touch its potential, unfortunatly i have not yet coverted my PC`s to T-5 and so unable to use its dimming features and capabilities, wich are a very strong point for that unit.
Nor have i yet hardwired it to my computer to access or use its software.
Some goodies for it are on the way, and should be able to do some playing in a week or so on it...ill update there very soon.

A couple changes were just upsizing the reactor, i had also wanted to run some Mg and p04 remover..so this 5 stage reactor let me put it all in individual chambers.

I grew tired of looking in the sump to check lines from the doser/reactor/stirrer to see effluent rates and calibrate and clean probes.
So i made a "mini sump" to bring all the probes and effluents to to a more manageble area on my equipment shelf.

Open...

Another "wish id done it a year ago" upgrade.

Heres a little more updated shot of the equipment portion of the room.

The skimmer will be replaced soon, im designing one a little bigger for the system.

I really dont care what you guys say...my bamboo blinds kick a$$, recognize.

Back of the tank

Old 12/28/2006, 04:03 AM
Registered Member

And a couple more updated tank and coral pics.

Still have to get a couple decent photos of the face...ill get some soon.

Heres one of my ninja skills at work

Heres one from when i finished off my little den/sitting room where the tank is viewed from, on the left wall.
I still have work to do in there, but apparantlyI got "two thumbs up" so i was happy .

I will update very soon with updates on the skimmer and controller.

Thanks all and Happy new year !

Marc.
Old 12/28/2006, 06:36 AM
Registered Member

Awesome tank!

If Pacman had effected us as kids, then we'd all be running around in a dark room, munching pills and listening to repetitive music
Old 12/28/2006, 08:53 AM
TRC Leader

All your new toys or ideas are just amazing me. I love your little probe station, and your multi-reactor is also ingenious. Thank you yet again for the update, just because!
Old 12/28/2006, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

What kind of CAL media is that in your calcium reactor?
Tank is AWESOME!
Old 12/28/2006, 10:07 AM
Ozone Sniffer

Awesome work yet again, Marc! I'll concur with the two thumbs up!
Can you give us a flow diagram of the reactor plumbing? Is it all fed from the reactor feed pump (BTW which pump are you using for that monster?), or does the body simply hold the reservoirs for the other media?
Thanks,
Chris

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 12/28/2006, 11:19 AM
In Too Deep

Great Setup! I love how organized and thought out the fish room is. It must make things nice. Im in the middle of designing my new fish room and am trying to make it as organized and neat as yours.

Quick question, how long have you had the Niger Triggers in there? How are they behaving, eating, etc? Do you think you could get away with one or two in a smaller tank? Say 220 or so?
Old 12/28/2006, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fudge

Siskiou,

Yes, i believe it was the first unit in north America to a hobbiest.
I recieved it more as a Beta tester for just the north American versions, with its converted outlets and such.
Sorry for not noticing you were Canandian!
I spend a few lovely vacations there when I was younger and still lived in Germany.

Quote:
I think the first batch available was just in the last couple weeks however.
Yes, Proline in Canada is the distributor for North America, I believe, and I've pre-ordered through aquariumspecialty.com, but am still waiting to receive the unit.

Quote:
All in all a wonderful unit.
For everything that i have set-up, it has peformed flawlessly.
But i really have yet to touch its potential, unfortunatly i have not yet coverted my PC`s to T-5 and so unable to use its dimming features and capabilities
Good to hear! Are you planning on getting some of the dimmable ballasts or one of their light fixtures?
I wish I were and electrician and could convert my TEK fixture, because I know I won't be able to afford a new light at this point.

Looking forward to further updates, and you are right: the bamboo blinds rock!
So does the fish room and the tank!

-Siskiou
Old 12/28/2006, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

Ok, still to read the thread but from what i have seen so far i think i am in love! I really like your aquascaping, clean and eligant.
Old 12/29/2006, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

Chris,

Im such a rook with computers, i wish i could show you a flow pattern...But i bet it would be faster for me if i drew it and sent it snailmail.

While i did mod a few things on it to suit my needs, i didnt make the reactor this time, its a Marine Tech reactor.
The cost of these things is getting better and better in the last few years, i remember paying that and more for a good commercial reactor of about a whole pop can sized capacity 7 or 8 yrs ago.
So i opted to buy one this time around, now i can head to building a little better of a skimmer.

It is recirculating with a sedra of about fist size...ill have to post the actual type after i can slide it out to see the top half of the pump.
The feed is just tee`d off my main system pump, wich now, is just a dart.

The first chamber is attached to the pump intake, bioballs, water/co2 input are ran through this chamber.
The second is the main chamber.
the third one is upflow @ effluent rate and is being fed from the main reactor chamber.
This inturn feeds the 4thand 5th upflow through magnesium and finally P04 remover.

Reef waters,
Nigers have been in there for about 4 months, they are awesome but just too agressive of feeders.
Corals are all left alone, but get so excited at feeding time and latley have become almost too much.
As you can see in the pic, i could litterally just catch them by hand and take them out.
For instance yesterdayI had a fish that went into my overflow, i retrieved it with a net and he got stuck a little when i was placing him back in the display, and needed some work to dislodge from the net.
the net and two hands and a flailing fish wont even hold them back, they woulda bit him in half in the net before they even realized it was a tank mate since theyve been in the tank.
Once placed in the tank the triggers went back to ignoring him.
Recently they have grown strong enouph to bite through my skin aswell, this was my fault from hand feeding them for a few months...needless to say i dont do this often anymore.

Marc.
Old 12/29/2006, 07:04 AM
Registered Member

the whole unit is looking amazing buddy. there is definitely some coral growth, although further inspection with a case of wobbly pops might be necessary to be sure. the reactor of dosing/probe sump look sweet.

do you think your skimmer is not keeping up or just going bigger for future plans?
Old 12/29/2006, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

I love that equipment room. Bamboo blinds rocks!
Old 12/29/2006, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

what is that material used to skirt the hood?

friggin rocks man
Old 12/29/2006, 02:10 PM
Ozone Sniffer

Thanks Marc

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 12/30/2006, 12:17 AM
Premium Member

simply amazing. I like the viewing area!

out of curiosity - why did you grab the trigger? lol
Old 12/30/2006, 01:20 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, why did you grab him? Or did you entice him into your hand with ninja- powers?
Old 12/30/2006, 02:50 PM

I love the minisump. I was going to do the same thing and was thinking about how to do it.. and was glad someone finally did.
Old 12/30/2006, 08:09 PM
Premium Member

how is the mini sump fed? And how do you regulate the water going in and out?
Old 12/30/2006, 11:37 PM
Premium Member

Absolutely incredible. The scary thing is a lot of the reefers following this thread are waiting to see what new changes you might make to a fish room that seems beyond perfect even now. Loved the mini sump for the probes. Looking forward to seeing how the Balling Method works out for you if you use it. BTW what are you dosing now?
Reading through this thread makes me want to rewire and reconfigure my fish room, not to mention trying to imitate your rock work in my next tank.
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.
If you might, can you tell me why you prefer the Tunzes over the initial
O.M. setup?
Old 12/31/2006, 04:06 AM
Registered Member

AWESOME!!!!! The best system I've ever seen!!! Do you clean your tank religiously or you have a secret recipe for it, the tank is just so damn clean for a relatively new tank. ize.
Old 12/31/2006, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

I assume the biological cycle of the whole system is still less than a year old.. correct??? awesome.....absolutely clean....