Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/30/2007, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

NEm HELP! stuck in powerhead...

Is it a goner??? Been doing good, then walked around and this....

I can get him out if i cut up the shroud, is it worth it, will he make it??

Click on my red house to see my 90g RR tank :) Tons of pictures, tons... Click!!!
Old 11/30/2007, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

It should survive. If you take it out of the water, the anemone will deflate and you shouldn't have to cut up the shroud. They melt when dying, so I'd watch for that, and obviously pull it if it does that.

And I'd suggest you figure out an alternative for your flow: it's well-known that anemones get into powerheads when you don't expect it, and everybody seems to think their tank will be the exception.

The easiest thing, in my mind, is to just not keep anemones in your reef. Clownfsh will host Euphyllia sp., Plerogyra sp., and a number of soft corals, and none of those can climb into your pumps. Good luck!
Old 11/30/2007, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

put it in a tupperware at the top of the tank and leave it alone, it will get itself out
Old 11/30/2007, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

Looks like he isnt happy. If the lights are not enough for him he will just keep moving looking for a prime spot. And i see he went up toward the light. He would be happier on some LR.

He maybe fine but the problem wont go away untill he gets better lighting.GL
Old 11/30/2007, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

Thats what I understand also.

If lighting is not good enough they will move towards the top of the tank.
Old 11/30/2007, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

what mod is that?
Old 11/30/2007, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

its not always lighing, what with people and always blaming lighting when it comes to bta's???

it could be flow
it could be because its not fed enough(in search of food)
it could be light(doubt it)
it could be something bothering him where it was
it could be that it wanted to go on a road trip(they like to)

well fed anemone's usually keep put.
Old 11/30/2007, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

*EDIT*
sorry, im halfway brain dead.....
shuuurre would be nice to be able to delete your own post

Quote:
Originally posted by ThrowinRoost89
its not always lighing, what with people and always blaming lighting when it comes to bta's???

it could be flow
it could be because its not fed enough(in search of food)
it could be light(doubt it)
it could be something bothering him where it was
it could be that it wanted to go on a road trip(they like to)

well fed anemone's usually keep put.

kreeger* greg has a bunch of those kits if you wanna try another one lol
Old 12/01/2007, 12:20 AM
Registered Member

I agree and also see t-5 lights listed i didnt see before. I wonder if he gets fead or flow rate or water quality.
I do think with the T-5 and the PC there should be enough.
Old 12/01/2007, 12:44 AM
Premium Member

mine got ate up like that and next thing I knew I had three instead of one...

Bonus!!
Old 12/01/2007, 01:36 AM
Registered Member

well heres what he looked like before.. When i first put him in the tank, i placed him in that spot, low flow, midway up the tank, he attached and opened up right away.

and now...i just cut the shroud up he was really badly in there, more than 3 hours still stuck..

Put him up close to the top since earlier you guys said it might be the light...
Water params, haven't tested all only thing i checked was for ammonia, water started smelling... ammonia 0 according to API test kit. My corals are opened up, my sps seem to thrive under my t-5 and have good polyp extension.

I hardly feed so maybe that could be it, but was hoping since the clowns in there they would give him some food. O and by the way that pump is off

Click on my red house to see my 90g RR tank :) Tons of pictures, tons... Click!!!
Old 12/01/2007, 01:37 AM
Registered Member

He would like some raw cocktail shrimp atleast once a week but twicw MB better.
Old 12/01/2007, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

I'll pass
Old 12/01/2007, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

It's definitely not the lighting, you have plenty.

Matt.
Old 12/01/2007, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Firefish
It should survive. If you take it out of the water, the anemone will deflate and you shouldn't have to cut up the shroud. They melt when dying, so I'd watch for that, and obviously pull it if it does that.

And I'd suggest you figure out an alternative for your flow: it's well-known that anemones get into powerheads when you don't expect it, and everybody seems to think their tank will be the exception.

The easiest thing, in my mind, is to just not keep anemones in your reef. Clownfsh will host Euphyllia sp., Plerogyra sp., and a number of soft corals, and none of those can climb into your pumps. Good luck!
I know...i've read about stories where other have had anemones get stuck in powerheads, i never said or thought my tank would be an exception. I moved my powerheads as high as they could go with out making a vortex, just never covered them cause i dont know what to cover the intakes with. He seemed happy in his spot for two weeks, i put him there, he planted his foot between the rocks and opened up in less than a day so i put off covering the intakes.

What other alternative for flow should i use???? A closed loop...that will require a lot of work especially for a tank that's already up and running. And that'll have intakes that'll need to be covered up as well.

I see a lot of tanks here with anemones, i wanted to try one as well.

O and thats a sureflow 1600 mod for who asked.

Old 12/01/2007, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

anyway....heres an update, he's looking better actually starting to open up again in his tupperware container

So i'll try to start feeding him pieces of raw cocktail shrimp?? what else should i get for him, scallops maybe?? How big should the pieces be??

Old 12/01/2007, 04:57 PM
Photographer in Training

Silversides are great healthy food for anemones. As for feeding sizes, depends on the size of the anemone, How big is it? Hmm I'd say try a piece thats about an inch just to see how well it does with that.
Raw shrimp and scallops work as well I have fed both to my nems, but silversides come in frozen packages and can last longer then raw shrimp and scallops that I get at the deli. HTH
Old 12/03/2007, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

i tried feeding it a scallop, didnt eat it. Also now that he is right near the top, he keeps flipping himself upside down, anyone have a reason to why?

Old 12/03/2007, 01:33 PM
I hug trees, not Bushes

Mine did that once too. I just shut the pump off and let it sort things out for itself; eventually it worked its way out. I think trying to 'help' it just makes it worse sometimes.

All statements have been peer reviewed.
Old 12/03/2007, 02:32 PM
Premium Member

I had my Haddoni Carpet Nem decide to go on a hike just the same. He decided to get his top completely stuck in a SEIO 800 series pump - twice. Both times, he got really chewed up, and both times, I just turned off the pump and he wriggled himself out of it. He has survived, and is doing really well after it all.

I imagine that the reason he decided to go hiking was due to some changes I did in the tank. He he is now happy and sticking to the same spot now.

For yours, I can only imagine that he is looking for a better place that suits his style. Unfortunately, he got too close to the pumps. I would suggest turning off that one pump, and keeping an eye out to see where he ends up.