Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/16/2007, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

Cool. Looking good. I agree you will have to put sps and any light loving corals mid to top.
Old 09/17/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Nice tank there. I like the stand nice job.
Old 09/18/2007, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

thanx guys, i finished up the sump yesterday here some pics of that..

Moved the 46g over to get the 90 in its spot, the 90 looks like a giant compared to the 46. Will plumb the tank today and i should be ready to fill her up and transfer everything from the 46 this weekend

What do you guys think of the doors?? Tried to do something different from the normal all wood doors.

Click on my red house to see my 90g RR tank :) Tons of pictures, tons... Click!!!
Old 09/18/2007, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

Nice tank build.

Just a comment on the MJ-Mod...I would DEFINITELY get the sure grip magnet and get rid of those suctions cups. Eventually they will give way and you'll come home to a sandstorm, and possibly a frag burial (unfortunately, I speak from experience....)
Old 09/18/2007, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

46g looks great, im sure your new one will too.
Old 09/18/2007, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

Looks great... How are you going to switch everything over??? Are you going to cycle the tank first or are you transfering the water and corals and making up the rest like a big water change???
Old 09/18/2007, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

What size is your sump? Doesn't look like much room for a skimmer. Which one are you using?
Old 09/18/2007, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

thanx for the comments
Quote:
Nice tank build.

Just a comment on the MJ-Mod...I would DEFINITELY get the sure grip magnet and get rid of those suctions cups. Eventually they will give way and you'll come home to a sandstorm, and possibly a frag burial (unfortunately, I speak from experience....)
Yea the next time order from dr fostersmith, i will remember to add one to my cart. I always push on the suction cups once in a while for now till i do.

Quote:
46g looks great, im sure your new one will too.
thanks echav

Quote:
Looks great... How are you going to switch everything over??? Are you going to cycle the tank first or are you transfering the water and corals and making up the rest like a big water change???
gonna do it like a big water change, hope everything goes alright Bought 60lbs of new aragonite sand and gonna use some of my old to seed the new stuff. Probably will still need more.

Quote:
What size is your sump? Doesn't look like much room for a skimmer. Which one are you using?
its a 29 gallon, the sump area has 14 inches of space, fuge has 7in, and 6in for the return, but shares water with the fuge so there shouldnt be any microbubbles, will put an eggrate divider as well above the last section. Should be big enough to fit a octo NW 200, at least from what i've seen someone else do. Footprint says its 15 by 10 so im pretty sure i can squeeze that inch in. But till i order the new skimmer, ill be using my Coralife SS 65 , i kno....lol

Any comments on the doors??? ???

Click on my red house to see my 90g RR tank :) Tons of pictures, tons... Click!!!
Old 09/18/2007, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

I've got a Recirculating 150 in a 29g sump and it takes up a LOT of room. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to place the baffles.
Old 09/18/2007, 01:33 PM
Kiss my Wrasse

Tunze 9010 will definitely fit. I just put one in my 92g that I am building and it is pulling a good amount of stuff from a system that had not even been stocked yet.
Old 09/18/2007, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Flyguy,

Where did you get the plans for your canopy? Really like your work, and looking to build a canopy of my own.....If you don't mind me possibly borrowing your design
Old 09/19/2007, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

Great job! Question about the SureFlow. Does it make noise or is it whisper quiet. I played around with the maxi mods for a few months before finally going to a seio. I couldn't get the stupid things quiet.

-J
Old 09/19/2007, 07:36 AM
How many fish can I kill?

Awesome doors!! Where did you get them?

Nano: 2 Black Ocellaris Clowns
Old 09/19/2007, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

husky, the tunze are kinda pricey and i have heard nothing but good things about octo skimmers.
laratadesierto, i pretty much came up with the canopy design myself, ill draw up some dimensions if you like.
miatawnt2b, the sureflow kinda hums on and off. I dunno why. But i love the flow it produces.
CKreef, i made them myself

Old 09/19/2007, 07:24 PM

Awesome job!!! I would love something like that. How did you do it? Of course for me to do it I would need a nicer stand like you have.

Old 09/19/2007, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

not to hard, all that was needed to do was put grooves on the inside of the wood framing to slide the glass into. The grooves was done by table saw. Frame was put together with pocket holes. Picked up some glass frosting stuff from Michael's, comes in a spray can. And found little seahorse and dolphin cutouts from there as well. tape and spray If you want pics of what was used and such just lemme know

Old 09/19/2007, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

Cool....Yeah send me some plans if you don't mind
Old 09/19/2007, 11:17 PM

That seems simple enough maybe if i upgtade i could do it

Old 09/20/2007, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by laratadesierto
Cool....Yeah send me some plans if you don't mind
k ill draw them up on autocad when i get home, unless i have them saved.

Do you guys think a Octopus NW200 will be over kill for my tank???

Old 09/20/2007, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

Transfer day tomorrow!!! Pics of what i got done today...
Finished up all the plumbing, hope it works lol
Wrote gallon numbers on the glass so i know how much to removed for a water change, part of the plumbing on that return can swivel so i can do water changes easy

fuge light in

Making water for tomorrow

Drilled my brute

Sand is in !!!

Glow from the doors with fuge light on...

Any suggestions or tips before i do the transfer to go smoothly tomorrow??

Old 09/20/2007, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

Looks great!! You did an awesome job!
Old 09/20/2007, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

If you don't mind, could you also send the plans for the stand? Couldn't find Rocket's plans anywhere.....Thanks!
Old 09/21/2007, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

Looks good! If this turns out half as good as the 46 gallon we are all in for a treat. Keep up the good work!
Old 09/21/2007, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

thanx again guys...heres the plan...Fill up the sump and tank with newly made ro/di water, add salt, let it mix in sump
send it to the tank till it fills up about halfway using return pump. Add the live rock from my 46g, couple cups of sand from the 46g to seed my new aragonite sand. Add the water from my 46g to fill up the rest of 90g. add fish and corals. Should i expect a little cycle??
I am thinking of putting the corals in a 10 gallon tank for now and make sure the water is good or should i just go ahead and put them in the same time as the fish as long as the trites trates and ammonia are not showing??

laratadesierto, ill try to get them done today, just been really busy with everything else..

Old 09/21/2007, 10:35 AM
Premium Member

I'm concerned about your choice of position for the DJ strip. I wonder if it's wise to put all your electronic outlets directly over your sump. In my memory, the sump is a splashy place where tons of bubbles pop and send out a lot of salt creep. That's not a safe or desirable environment for outlets in my opinion. If you could seal the electronics off, that would be better, or relocate the power strip, or cover the sump some way. Either way, the sump area causes a lot of harsh saline conditions.
Otherwise, the whole setup has been masterfully done. Good job!

Aaron