Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/29/2005, 10:45 AM
Registered Member

Hey Will a yellow tang go with a hippotang and naso tangin a 92G

I have a 92G with 3 damsels a clown, a french angel, a hippotang, and a naso tang will I be able to put a yellow tang in there? All the fish are very small and once they grow too big I am going to sell them so I am not worried about the size, But will a yellow tang beable to be put in the successfully? Also what are the requirments I heard they need a lot of greens which I can do that without a problem. So I appreciate your help thanks
Old 08/29/2005, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

My yellow and hippo are best friends in my 65. Naso..no idea.
Old 08/29/2005, 10:51 AM
Moved On

i think that with 3 tangs in a 92 may be tight, especially with the Naso, I think they need 125g alone.....

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=357

You could be inciting a Tang death match...
Old 08/29/2005, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

I agree with carman, i think that is way too tight a space for 3 tangs. you might have to get a bigger tank if you want to keep multiple tangs.
Old 08/29/2005, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

I keep a Naso, three yellows, a purple and a sohal in a 125 until they go into a 340 (someday).. They do fine.. no aggression or stress of any kind. However- I posted that not long ago and was almost "arrested"..

DIY never saves money.. just makes for a nice weekend project.
Old 08/29/2005, 12:41 PM
Go Sooners!

The only tang you would be able to keep out of those three would be the yellow. Hippos and Naso especially get way too big. I would consider getting rid of the French Angel as well. They can get pretty large and they will make an expensive snack out of whatever corals you have when it matures.
Old 08/29/2005, 04:30 PM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

Quote:
Originally posted by JENnKerry
The only tang you would be able to keep out of those three would be the yellow. Hippos and Naso especially get way too big. I would consider getting rid of the French Angel as well. They can get pretty large and they will make an expensive snack out of whatever corals you have when it matures.
Like he said they are all small right now and he will get rid of them when the time comes.
Old 08/29/2005, 05:52 PM
Go Sooners!

Being a bigger type fish, their growth may get stunted because of being in a smaller tank.
Old 08/29/2005, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

Being in a smaller tank, even though small, may spark aggression between them too.

Where's your will to be weird?
Old 08/29/2005, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
The key words is get, unless you are getting two monster sized tangs, they will be fine for a fairly long time.
Old 08/29/2005, 06:16 PM
Moved On

check out the avatar
Old 08/29/2005, 06:30 PM
get your reef on

I just got a hippo and a yellow tang that were raised together, they are now living in my 120 with a scopas. there was one day of fin flaring, now everyones happy.

Old 08/29/2005, 06:44 PM
Go Sooners!

Quote:
Originally posted by nodbugger
The key words is get, unless you are getting two monster sized tangs, they will be fine for a fairly long time.
Why buy a larger type fish, even though it may be small for a while knowing that in a year or so you will either have to get rid of it, or buy a bigger tank? What if you buy this fish with the idea that one day you will have a bigger tank, then something happens (mortage, new car) then the new tank gets put on hold. Not fair to the fish.

Plus TSQUAD made a very good point. Smaller tanks will more than likely spark aggression.
Old 08/29/2005, 07:01 PM
Premium Member

I'm assuming its a 92g corner tank? I mean, a french angel, a hippo tang and a naso...those are some big fish. And potentially delicate fish. Don't know if I would want to rock the boat with it. And the problem is that people who are planning to sell the fish often keep them beyond the point they should. Sometimes tough to go ahead and actually move them out when needed.
Old 08/29/2005, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Why buy a larger type fish, even though it may be small for a while knowing that in a year or so you will either have to get rid of it, or buy a bigger tank? What if you buy this fish with the idea that one day you will have a bigger tank, then something happens (mortage, new car) then the new tank gets put on hold. Not fair to the fish.

Plus TSQUAD made a very good point. Smaller tanks will more than likely spark aggression.
A year? Try Several years, longer than most people on this forum have had salt water tanks set up.
My friend bought a Blue Tang about 1 year ago, it was about an inch big, he feeds it constantly, guess how big it is now? Less than 1.5inches.
Old 08/29/2005, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

my naso tang that I bought almost a year ago I dont think has grown at all its stilllike 3 inches
Old 08/29/2005, 09:52 PM
Premium Member

Growth is stunted in smaller tanks. Put that Naso in a 300g and watch it grow like a weed.

You would probably be ok for a little while with all those fish, but only if you're positive you're upgrading soon. If it were me, I wouldn't do it. JMO

Where's your will to be weird?
Old 08/29/2005, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

I put a tiny blue hippo in my 150 less than a year ago (around xmas time) and it has at least tripled it's size since then.
It was about an inch when I got it and now is about 4 inches.

I had also put 2 tiny dime size blues in my 150 at the same time but 1 died right away as they were too small (they shouldnt even sell them that size I felt sorry for them) and then the larger one picked on the tiny one so I had to put the dime size in my 55 gal. and it is now about 3 inches long.

I agree small tanks do stunt their growth.
Ive kept blue hippos in my 55 before and they never got as big as the one I had in my 150 prior for 8 years until it jumped out.

For this reason I did'nt want to put a blue in my 55 anymore as it is too small of a tank for them.

Yes a blue and yellow will get along but your tank seems pretty well stocked already with big fish.

kass
Old 08/29/2005, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

thanks I probably wont get one then