Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/19/2007, 02:42 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

Passer Angelfish - How mean are they?

It's been a long time since I kept one of these guys and that was in a agressive Fish Only tank so I was wondering if anyone has tried to keep one in a reef community tank with any success. If so was it a juve., sub-adult, adult, etc.?
I am not overly concerned about it eating corals just mainly curious as to their social compatibility.
Old 10/19/2007, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

mean very mean did i say mean
Old 10/19/2007, 02:51 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

Can you be more specific?
Old 10/19/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

Each Gish is different,my brother had one that got killed my an equal sized powder blue tang! I am hoping to get one for my fowlr, hopefully as mean as they come.
Old 10/20/2007, 11:45 AM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

Mine was extremely aggressive and his tankmates worked hard to stay out of his way. I got him at about 3" and he was mean then and just kept getting meaner, you might find a mellow one but not many of the genus Holacanthus make good reef community members.
Old 10/20/2007, 12:42 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

I never personally kept one. The ones we sold through the LFS I worked at so many years ago ended up in really aggressive FO tanks, or returned back to us. Believe it or not, a highly unsellable fish. At least back then...

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 10/20/2007, 09:14 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

Thanks. Sometimes fish like Passers, Queens, Sohal and Clown tangs etc get bad reps. based on a couple of word of mouth stories and they snowball into generalities regarding a fishes behavior so I am just trying to get a few more first hand accounts of people who have kept them.
Old 10/21/2007, 05:38 AM
Premium Member

Very aggressive fish, but, as a juvenile, fairly attractive. I kept mine with other angels but it was the last fish added. It took no nonsense from any other fish and I had six large angels in a 350 gallon FOWLR tank.

~Steve~
Old 10/21/2007, 06:59 AM
Premium Member

agreed. I, too, worked at a LFS that got some in (years ago), and they would rule the tank with an iron fist. They would even beat up fish 3 or 4 times bigger that were established before them. A reputation well deserved.