Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 10/17/2007, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Naso Tang Feeding

I purchased a little 4.5" Naso Tang to help with a Dictyota problem I had that came in from some Bali Aquacultured colonies that started to get out of control. The Naso Tang was eating everything in sight at the store and was there for a couple of months. Devoured prepared foods.......

After adding te Naso to my reef it completely decimated the Dictyota withing a 1.5 weeks. Great! Coiuldn't be happier as the Dictyota was a natural food source for my Naso and my Dictyota was all but gone. I couldnt believe it.

However it is constantly picking on the rocks looking for small dictyota fragments which are now only in tiny spots that it can't reach and will not touche any prepare foods anymore as it already got a taste of what it really wants. I almost want the Dictyota to grow again!!

What methods can I use to coax it into eating prepared foods again? Looks happy and picking constantly at the rocks. Wont even touch nori.....as it wants brown macro algae
Old 10/17/2007, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

Seachem makes a product called Entice. Supposed to help finicky eaters start eating, its worth a shot.
Old 10/20/2007, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

I had the exact same thing happen. All I ever heard was how much Naso's ate, I get one, and, he ends up being the pickiest Naso ever.

I ended up getting some red /brown algae sheets like nori, but not green. (Wouldn't touch green nori). He would not try it in a clip, but would take some if a small piece went by in the current. I ended up soaking, and breaking up small pieces of this, and addding the bits twice a day. (my Blueface Angel ate it all at first) After awile he would eat this. After a few more weeks he took green nori, after a few more weeks, he took Formula II flakes, then pellets a few weeks later. I also had to soak some of the nori in Selcon to help with some HITH that developed because of his poor eating habits once he got to eating.

Sorry so long, but I just wanted to let you know how it worked out for me. I think the key was to not give up, and continue offering bits of algae that flow by in the current, as this got his attention after awhile.

He is now fat and happy 3 months after I got him.

Good luck

This is what got him started: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...26&pcatid=5026

Brown Marine Algae

Last edited by Bluetooth; 10/20/2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10/22/2007, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

Thanks he is eating Nori now, I guess he just wanted to clean out every last bit of macro in the tank first.