Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs

Old 07/19/2007, 07:59 PM
TRC Leader

Melev's new Nano!

It's been a while since I've had a cute tank, so last December I decided to build a new one. Once it was done, it sat and waited for me to continue with the project, while I spent my time trying to figure out what I wanted to do.

I saw a similar tank on www.reefvideos.com, which was my primary motivation.

Wanting a tank in the foyer of my home,it had to be tied into the main reef as well. That way I don't need any more equipment nor worry about parameters as both tanks will remain stable.

I ordered some 3/8" acrylic and used some 1/4" as well just because this isn't a huge tank. I've not verified this yet, but it appears to hold about 20g based on some math and some guessing.

Its dimensions are 24" long, 16" deep, and 18" tall. I made the front panel 6" tall before it slopes back. The top opening is 6.5" wide - I wanted it wider, but as I planned and glued it, I didn't remember to take into account the thickness of the acrylic.

The front angled panel needed to be heated and bent or cut. I decided to go with the cut thinking it would be more accurate. After more sketching and real-life layout, I decided the cut had to be 38 degrees. I made the cut on my tablesaw on the bottom edge as well as the top. I got it pretty darn close.

When gluing, I knew that front seam would be a pain and I was right. It looked like all was going well using the pin method, but when I removed the pins some Weld-On ran down the interior front panel. ARGH.

Plowing forward, I just finished gluing everything, and then decided to try out a scratch removal kit that I had on hand. Amazingly, it did a pretty decent job. It isn't perfect and is just a hair hazy, but it's clear and that's good enough for me.

I wanted the stand to be stone and metal. I found the legs at Ikea for $5 each, and the stone is the sink cut-out from a marble countertop. Perfect!

I drilled the holes in the tank, which I have to say was the biggest hurdle for me for some time. I just couldn't make up my mind how I wanted to drain the water from the tank, but I decided to just git 'er dun.

I painted the PVC black with Krylon Fusion spray paint. It's safe to use.

Old 07/19/2007, 08:00 PM
TRC Leader

First the wall was drilled where the bulkheads plumbed through. Spaflex travels through a closet to the fishroom. I'll fill the gap around the plumbing with Great Stuff later to keep humidity from seeping into the closet and home.

I decided to use a Mag 7 instead of a Mag 9.5. Ater hooking it up, I may even change it down to a Mag 5.
Old 07/19/2007, 08:01 PM
TRC Leader

The water drains to the skimmer section of my sump via spaflex.

The painted plumbing was dry and ready for the install.

And the sand was added next.

Here is a close up of the drain pipe. I saw a similar idea recently thanks to Lukinrats, and decided to give it a try with this tank. The drain has a black gutter to act as a surface overflow, and the locline hops over it currently.

After plugging in the Mag 7 to one of the new GFCI-protected waterproof outlets (that was nice to have handy), I turned on #6 on the DJ powerstation. Next I opened the ballvalve slightly.

I had to add another 20g of saltwater to my sump as well.

Here you can see the water coming out of the anti-siphon hole.

Water was added to the tank in a vase standing on a plastic bag to keep the sand from being disturbed.

I totally forgot to add the Durso on the other side of the wall, but that was corrected easily enough.
Old 07/19/2007, 08:02 PM
TRC Leader

I got the in-line Durso installed, and then got it running. The Mag 7 is more than enough flow. Really it is too much. The drain line is probably 11 feet long and the end is not submerged and still it doesn't drain steadily. Then again, it is brand new plumbing so it probably will slime over in the next week or so.

I found three pieces of LR in my cooking vat that will work in the new tank.

The next day I put in the Houston Black Onyx Percs I got in January, the Rose BTA I got last Thursday, some corals, and a Purple firefish.

While thinking about the lighting situation, I rigged it for now. The Aqua Medic 150w DE fixture is balanced on the metal reflectors that come with it.

Old 07/19/2007, 08:03 PM
TRC Leader

So here are the final pictures of the tank as of today.

I found the Purple Firefish finally.

The clowns haven't discovered the Rose BTA yet.

Some ricordia

Some zoanthids, including the obligatory Mean Greens.

Some acans

And the mini Carpet anemones I brought home from New York.
Old 07/19/2007, 08:05 PM
My tank is too full

Thank you for sharing. That is a sweet set up. I love how it is tied to your system.

To thine own self be true
Old 07/19/2007, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Man you're hardcore... anyone who drinks that much Coke is just crazy
Looks cool so far, I'm sure I'll enjoy tagging along to see how many hours it takes for you to surpass my nano in quality

You had a Rose BTA in your old 29G right, did that one get too big for it?
Old 07/19/2007, 08:09 PM
TRC Leader

Just keep in mind that coke is only good with Crown Royal.
Old 07/19/2007, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

very nice, i have one question for you though. do you ever order your livestock or corals online and if so where?
Old 07/19/2007, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

hey, where'd you get the mini carpets? what burrow, what store, ect? live in NY, like the mini carpets. what would you say would be a good light for em? tank is a 29(hence me wanting small nems).
Old 07/19/2007, 08:18 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Very ingenious!
Old 07/19/2007, 08:20 PM
TRC Leader

Hi Bobby - my usual answer is no. I always buy my livestock locally. Until this week! I ordered 8 Lyretail (Squampinnis Anthias) from LiveAquaria.com and that order went well. Then again, they arrived yesterday so it has only been 24 hours. Here's my thread about it:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1165728
Old 07/19/2007, 08:20 PM
They Found Nemo

love the tank would u be willing to part with some of those mean greens lol
Old 07/19/2007, 08:21 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonstream
hey, where'd you get the mini carpets? what burrow, what store, ect? live in NY, like the mini carpets. what would you say would be a good light for em? tank is a 29(hence me wanting small nems).
I was visiting the URSNY club in Rochester N.Y. and got some from Scott. He posts as bosborn1 on RC. I believe Gary Majurak has them as well, but you'll never find his post because I butchered his name badly just now.
Old 07/19/2007, 08:22 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by purebullet417
love the tank would u be willing to part with some of those mean greens lol
If they would grow like crazy, I'd be more apt to share the darn things. I have some in my prop section that are trying to grow out, but man are they lazy.
Old 07/19/2007, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

Looks amazing melev. I am going to be updating my thread here soon, and I would appreciate another post from you if you could to give some advice because some is definitely needed on the different things that are happening to my tank. I love the setup though. I'd like to see a clam in there because of how they look so different at the different view angles.

Tank looks great though.
Old 07/19/2007, 08:26 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Nice Marc!

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 07/19/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Hey Marc, tank is looking nice. I wonder if you could give a little more detail or some closeups of how you have the drain set up. I have a 12 gallon JBJ nano on my desk at work, and since the back panel is plastic, I've been thinking of doing somthing similar to what you have done here and connecting it to a spare 10 gallon glass tank under my desk to act as a sump/fuge. I was just wondering about the logistics of it. Is there a reason one hole is lower than the other? How exactly is that black piece working as a drain? Is there a hole in the end? How are you making it surface skim? Do you think I'd be OK just letting water flow into a bulkhead, or would you recomend I have somthing similar to what you have on the in-tank side? The drain would be back in the filter compartment, so no worries about livestock getting sucked down it.

Thanks!
Frogspawn
Kenya Tree (large)
Button Polyps
Xenia
GSP/PSP
Richmond Tricolor
Unknown Blue Tip Acro
Torch
Anthelia
Old 07/19/2007, 08:33 PM
TRC Leader

I'd like to add a few small clams once I have some extra money again. And of course I'll be happy to help, just point me to the post or thread in question.
Old 07/19/2007, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

awesome tank!, man you have a lot of chords and outlets
Old 07/19/2007, 08:38 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by phurst
Hey Marc, tank is looking nice. I wonder if you could give a little more detail or some closeups of how you have the drain set up. I have a 12 gallon JBJ nano on my desk at work, and since the back panel is plastic, I've been thinking of doing somthing similar to what you have done here and connecting it to a spare 10 gallon glass tank under my desk to act as a sump/fuge. I was just wondering about the logistics of it. Is there a reason one hole is lower than the other? How exactly is that black piece working as a drain? Is there a hole in the end? How are you making it surface skim? Do you think I'd be OK just letting water flow into a bulkhead, or would you recomend I have somthing similar to what you have on the in-tank side? The drain would be back in the filter compartment, so no worries about livestock getting sucked down it.

Thanks!
Look closely at this picture:

The horizontal black drain pipe was cut carefully on a table saw to create an gap that is 3/8" to 1/2" wide. That was some risky work on my part, but I got lucky and didn't lose any flesh & blood.

There is a cap on the end. By not pumping too much water to the tank, the drain works well. When I open the valve in the plumbing (hidden in the closet), it raises the water level to high and the surface is not skimmed. Then again, the plumbing is new and maybe it will get better over the next couple of weeks. If it doesn't, I'll make some type of change.

The reason for the uneven holes was because I wanted to not see them when you view the tank from the side and front. So the lower one is kind of hiding under the upper drain. The trick to making that work is to glue the bottom fittings into the bulkhead and be sure to drill an anti siphon hole around the same height as the water level & drain line. This prevents too much water from exiting when the pump or power fails. Here's a picture of that fitting squirting out water during the fill up:
Old 07/19/2007, 08:40 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by kkyyllee
awesome tank!, man you have a lot of chords and outlets
There are many more, located in various areas to keep the fishroom as clutter-free as possible. You could see more in this post:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...3#post10208613
Old 07/19/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

That's pretty damn brilliant!

Thanks!
Frogspawn
Kenya Tree (large)
Button Polyps
Xenia
GSP/PSP
Richmond Tricolor
Unknown Blue Tip Acro
Torch
Anthelia
Old 07/19/2007, 08:53 PM

rbta looks like a really nice specimen. rics are cool too.
Old 07/19/2007, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

do you have a cleanup crew yet

I have green algae growing close to my live rock.

I have some hermits and an emrald crab, but i cant scrape it .
any suggestions?
3. When you ara Santa
4. When you look like Santa