Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/17/2005, 10:04 PM
impur impur is offline
Registered Member

Location: Eugene, OR
Be careful buying from FrozenSurfer!!

Re: 70 MH bulb
Hey [name withheld]!
bulb is on the way Tracking number is 1zx339r50390019610
UPS ground should be to you in 3 days or so. I will take pictures for you tonight after I find my camera. With this whole remodling thing that we did, It's almost impossible to find anything. The color on this bulb is sweet. I'm a big fan of blue bulbs and this one is a beautiful color. I love them!!

Yeah, I have a 29 as well and I've been in your shoes. Try a melenarous wrasse (spelling might be wrong)

Anyway, I'll pm you those pics when I find my camera.

thanks again!!

[name withheld]

quote:

impur wrote on 11/09/2005 09:47 PM:
Ok cool. Money sent. Do you have any pics of your nano with this bulb? Interested to see the color. I'm planning on moving all my SPS from my 29gal tank into a 10gal nano and using this bulb over it for a few months while i treat for the darn redbugs. Thanks!!

[name withheld]

quote:

FrozenSurfer wrote on 11/09/2005 01:18 PM:
[name withheld],
The Brand is Catalina Aquarium, and it's called a Reef Grow 20K
I've been using them for years. The bulb is German made and imported into California. It's a sweet bulb. I have one in my nano.

My paypal addy is [withheld]

Thanks
[name withheld]!

quote:

impur wrote on 11/09/2005 09:00 PM:
Quote:
FrozenSurfer wrote on 11/09/2005 12:51 PM:
Hey [name withheld]

bad news is.. that bulb is sold. Good news is I have a Reef 20k 70w available too. Same price. Brand new, never fired. Beautiful color.

Let me know

-[name withheld]
Quote:
impur wrote on 11/09/2005 07:36 PM:
I'll take the bulb. What is your paypal address?

[name withheld]

Another thing, is the brand just called Reef?

Let me know

[name withheld]

Bulb showed up as you can see in the pictures. It has obviously been used. I just wanted my money back and I offered to mail it back to him at my expense. The contacts are bent and you can see the gas has discolored the glass of the bulb, which happens after many hours of use.

Beware when buying from this seller, BE SURE TO GET PICTURES!!!!!!!

__________________
Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Old 11/17/2005, 10:44 PM
Jay4Robin Jay4Robin is offline
Indiana Jones Of SPS

Location: Downingtown PA
did he respond? I would fight with paypal start a claim!! Good luck
__________________
One day I will not have to scrape my windows!

DVRC Vice President
Old 11/17/2005, 11:57 PM
impur impur is offline
Registered Member

Location: Eugene, OR
No he hasn't responded. This was paypals response:

Thank you for contacting us about your Buyer Complaint for the
transaction
detailed below. As stated in our User Agreement, PayPal's Buyer
Complaint
Policy applies only to the shipment of goods. It does not apply to
complaints about the attributes or quality of goods received.
Therefore, we
are unable to reverse this transaction or issue a refund.

I'm still working on it though.
__________________
Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Old 11/18/2005, 11:14 AM
impur impur is offline
Registered Member

Location: Eugene, OR
Persistance pays off!!

Thank you for contacting PayPal with your concern.

Thank you for providing this information to us. I have personally
forwarded
it to our investigations team for further review. Please allow them at
least 30 days to process and review this information. If they require
any
additional information they will contact you directly via email. If you
have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.
__________________
Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Old 11/18/2005, 11:16 AM
impur impur is offline
Registered Member

Location: Eugene, OR
Here is my email:

>[name withheld]
>
>The bulb you sent is not new, it has clearly been used. I would like my money back and i will send this bulb back to you. I really don't want to get into posting negative feedback for you here at RC and going thru the hassle with paypal as well, but i will if need be. Please paypal my money back and i will return the bulb to you.
>
>[name withheld]

And his reply:

[name withheld].

The bulb is clearly a new bulb. I know this because I bought the bulb. If you want to get into posting negative feed back, go right ahead. As an attorney I will take this as far as I need to.

-[name withheld]
__________________
Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Old 11/18/2005, 11:18 AM
impur impur is offline
Registered Member

Location: Eugene, OR
If you look at his profile, his birthday is August 11, 1983. How does a 22 year old get a law degree? Hmmmmmm.
__________________
Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Old 11/18/2005, 11:28 AM
fishinchick fishinchick is offline
Thread Killer :(

Location: So. Calif
For what it's worth, I know this person on a personal day to day basis.

I also personally saw the bulb prior to shipping and since this isnt my first week in the hobby, I can guarantee that it was not used So I don't know what it is you are trying to pull. Just keep in mind that there IS a witness to the fact that the bulb was new. He hardly had it in his posession for long before he posted it for sale. Matter of fact he posted it for sale the same day that he got it in and it shipped right out.

I actually had considered purchasing the bulb myself as I also have a 30 gallon aquarium at home. I decided instead to stay with my 175 halide instead of going DE because I didnt want to buy all new wiring (I'm lazy).

I believe enough people on this board know me well enough to take me at my word and I really think you are trying to get something free from the guy. He's honest and wouldnt have sold you a bulb that was used.

I think the fact that you have threatened him is ridiculous. Make fun of his family being attorneys all you like but I know them - and they are. Keep up with threats and you could find this out the hard way.

I would also like to point out that a few people are so very quick in this forum to ask for blood before they know both sides of the issue. I am sure you would expect fairness in both sides speaking their peace prior to you showing up at his front door with wooden rakes, pitchforks, stakes and hammers.

Grow up.
__________________
There are exceptions to rules, and those exceptions make that hobbyist a lucky person indeed.

However, that doesn't mean instant success for everyone else.

Adrienne
Old 11/18/2005, 11:32 AM
FrozenSurfer FrozenSurfer is offline
Registered Member

Location: 41,000 ft
Well. Here's the threats that IMPUR sends when he's not happy with something.
"Ok Brett, I'm in a good mood today so I am willing to give you until 7:00 pm tonight. I know you are not an attorney, you are 22 years old, just had a birthday a few months ago didn't ya. But your mommy is, isn't she. Maybe I should talk to her? How would she feel knowing that her son is selling used equipment over the internet and claiming it to be new? I do have your phone number. I also have a picture of your house, kidney shaped pool, 2 story, single car garage, eves over the upstairs windows, grey color. You should ask your mom if it is legal to go around threatening people and claiming to be an attorney. I have proof you have done so.

Please don't underestimate me Brett, I have plenty of resources at my disposal and all the proof I need to get things rolling on this end. Do you have any idea of the amount information a finance company can obtain with just a name? Once I show what you have done to the mods at RC, you will not be allowed to sell items there ever again, you are aware that they track IP addresses aren't you?

I'm willing to accept that maybe you did mail me the wrong bulb, or maybe you are trying to con me. I don't really care either way, I'd just like my $40 back.
I'll ship the bulb back to you at my cost.

I know that you think you are right here, thats fine you may continue to think that. I am unhappy with the transaction, thats the bottom line. I'm hoping that you are a decent person who would respect that and give me my money back. This will all go away then.
Neither of us will have to put up with the other ever again. But I must inform you that I will not just go away.

Miles"
__________________
http://hubpages.com/profile/Swimaway
---- Need Aquarium info

www.corporatepilotcentral.com

www.enviohost.com

www.efishtank.org <--- let your inner fish out
Old 11/18/2005, 11:41 AM
impur impur is offline
Registered Member

Location: Eugene, OR
Quote:
Originally posted by fishinchick
[...]

I don't know where you are getting this rakes, pitchforks, stakes and hammers BS, and all that i have threatened is to post negative feedback as well as file a complaint with paypal. How his his threat ok but mine not? He did afterall reply to my email with a threat right off the bat, a threat that included a lie. And how am I making fun of his family being attorneys? Wow you are way off base here.

How can you say i'm trying to get something for free? I just wanted my money back and offered to send him the bulb back at my cost. What am i getting for free here?

If you would run a search you will find i have bought from a few ppl here at RC and given them positive feedback, as well as sold items and received positive feedback. You obviously have only one side of the story, but here you are spouting off your opinion. How are you any different than either of us?
__________________
Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Old 11/18/2005, 11:43 AM
impur impur is offline
Registered Member

Location: Eugene, OR
Quote:
Originally posted by FrozenSurfer
[...]

Ahh there you are Brett, glad you could join the discussion. How nice of you to leave out my other 2 emails. Why don't we just make EVERYBODY happy here, you send me my money i'll give you the bulb and cancel the fraud claim at paypal. Then we can close this thread on a positive note, everybody can see you did the right thing, we all move on with our lives.

What do ya say?
__________________
Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Last edited by impur; 11/18/2005 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11/18/2005, 11:53 AM
fishinchick fishinchick is offline
Thread Killer :(

Location: So. Calif
Quote:
Originally posted by FrozenSurfer
Maybe I should talk to her?

I do have your phone number. I also have a picture of your house, kidney shaped pool, 2 story, single car garage, eves over the upstairs windows, grey color.

Please don't underestimate me Brett, I have plenty of resources at my disposal and all the proof I need to get things rolling on this end.

Do you have any idea of the amount information a finance company can obtain with just a name?
Wow. Now THERES some ethics for you. Do you really think it's a good idea to threaten people like that? Flouting your 'super powers' is less than a classy and grown up way to handle things. Would YOUR boss really appreciate you being this open about your magical super powers bestowed on you by your company? I'm wondering about that because a real estate friend of mine once told me randomly looking up stuff like that for non-work related reasons was kind of not a good thing. Right?

Quote:
Originally posted by FrozenSurfer

you are aware that they track IP addresses aren't you?
And this would have exactly what to do with the price of a pair of shoes and a bag of chips.

Honestly.
If this was me you threw these comments at, I would have the police knocking on your door offering a restraining order.

All I can say is I personally saw the stuff myself and it was new. I wouldnt have purchased a used item myself. Maybe you don't know what a new/used bulb looks like?
__________________

Old 11/18/2005, 11:54 AM
FrozenSurfer FrozenSurfer is offline
Registered Member

Location: 41,000 ft
Quote:
Originally posted by impur
Ahh there you are Brett, glad you could join the discussion. How nice of you to leave out my other 2 emails. Why don't we just make EVERYBODY happy here, you send me my money i'll give you the bulb and cancel the fraud claim at paypal. Then we can close this thread on a positive note, everybody can see you did the right thing, we all move on with our lives.

What do ya say?

Wait wait. The only one NOT HAPPY here is... well... you. Everyone else is happy.
__________________

Old 11/18/2005, 12:02 PM
impur impur is offline
[...]

Oh geez, you are his girlfriend aren't you. Well you putting a little more into my coments that is really there. Do I ever threaten to do anything besides call his mom?

I also have not used any of my magical super powers bestowed on my by my company, rather everything about Brett I obtained via public record and/or over the internet. You could find the same about me i'm sure if you knew where to look.

Have you ever considered $40 is more to me than it is to you?
__________________
Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Old 11/18/2005, 12:03 PM
impur impur is offline
Registered Member

Location: Eugene, OR
Quote:
Originally posted by FrozenSurfer
Wait wait. The only one NOT HAPPY here is... well... you. Everyone else is happy.
Thats because you got rid of a used bulb for $40, and i'm the one out the $40.

Why is it so hard for you to just send back my money, i'll send you the bulb and you can sell it to someone else? I really have a hard time with that, if the roles were reversed i can assure you if you were not happy i would have refunded your money. I still hope that you will shed this "I'm right your wrong" attitude, accept that i'm unhappy with the transaction, you get your bulb back i get my money back. Everybody wins, why does this need to be so difficult?
__________________
Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Old 11/18/2005, 12:06 PM
fishinchick fishinchick is offline
Thread Killer :(

Location: So. Calif
Um. No. My boyfriend is a non-hobbyist. I've sworn off dating hobbyists. Too many whiny men. But hey, this isnt about me.

Brett and I are friends through the industry. If you changed your mind and didnt want the bulb because switching from power compacts was more expensive than you thought - just be honest and ask to send back the bulb.

The point of this discussion here is that the bulb was not used. Fortunately in this circumstance someone was here to witness.

I don't mean to sound nasty or condescending like you are in your replies but there is no other way to ask if that $40 is a lot to you should you really be in this hobby?

I hope he gives you back your money and takes the bulb back and sells it to someone who can actually tell the difference between new and used.
__________________

Old 11/18/2005, 12:15 PM
impur impur is offline
[...]

Ok then my mistake.

I would like to use the bulb for a SPS nano, MH will be the best bet for that. I have the ballast and fixture and am only needing the bulb. I have a PC fixture yes, but it would not grow SPS as well as MH as i'm sure you are aware. Thus the need for a NEW MH bulb.

I'm sorry this got nasty, i really am. The immediate reply by Brett that "As an attorney I will take this as far as I need to" really got under my skin. A lot of attorneys (notice i said a lot, not all) think/act like they are above other people. I wanted Brett to be sure that this threat/lie did not scare me.

$40 being more to me than Brett has nothing to do with my being in the hobby. Did you consider I give myself a monthly allowance to use on my tanks? This $40 might be the last i have till the beginning of next year, would you want your SPS with redbugs sitting there not thriving for another couple months? I only want the best for my livestock.

I'll accept that you both say the bulb is new. All the people i've shown it to say its used. This is the first DE MH bulb i've bought, but I have sold MH bulbs at a hardware store in the past and never once did they come in looking like this, regardless of quality. The only bulbs i've ever seen that look like this are used, the gas has escaped and discolored the inside of the bulb and the contacts are scratched and bent.

I hope he give me my money back too.
__________________
Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Old 11/18/2005, 12:17 PM
FrozenSurfer FrozenSurfer is offline
Registered Member

Location: 41,000 ft
Impur. Well. You win. I will send you your money back. Adrienne is right, I will just sell the bulb to someone who has some reef hobby experience. As for you. Well, if I ever hear from you again, I will pursue legal action. I don't know what kind of family you grew up in but I guess it was one that made threats to get what they want. My suggestion to you is to get out of the reef hobby. It is people like you that take the fun out of it for the rest of us. If you honestly can't tell the difference between a new and used halide, then you don't belong in this hobby. Making threats against me and my family is not an ok way to get something out of me. Why not be honest and tell me that you didn't want the bulb? I would've returned it in a heartbeat. Instead you made threats to me, my family and my way of life. I really hope that the moderators of reefcentral ban you, it really is a shame that the reef hobby has come down to people like you.
__________________

Old 11/18/2005, 12:23 PM
impur impur is offline
[...]

Great news! I'll cancel the fraud claim at paypal and mail it back to you as soon as i receive confirmation at paypal.

Please stop with the threats Brett, it doesn't scare me. I did not threaten your family in the slightest, i'm sorry feel you that way. If you will go back and read the email i'm sure you will see that the only threat i made was to call your mom, as well as file a paypal claim and post negative feedback. I even withheld your name throughout this until you posted it.

And to be honest with you, after i send this bulb back to you i'm going to buy the exact same one off ebay with a verified seller. I'll even send you pictures if you like. Besides, i did tell you i didn't want the bulb remember? You said you were an attorney and would take it as far as you need to. Remember that lie??

Quote:
>Brett
>
>The bulb you sent is not new, it has clearly been used. I would like my money back and i will send this bulb back to you. I really don't want to get into posting negative feedback for you here at RC and going thru the hassle with paypal as well, but i will if need be. Please paypal my money back and i will return the bulb to you.

Miles

And his reply:

Miles.

The bulb is clearly a new bulb. I know this because I bought the bulb. If you want to get into posting negative feed back, go right ahead. As an attorney I will take this as far as I need to.

-Brett
Did you even look at the pictures? I mean come on, you bent the contacts, and the bulb is WHITE WITH BLACK SPECS inside. If you bought this bulb new, maybe its you who should be getting his money back from where you bought it.
__________________
Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Last edited by impur; 11/18/2005 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11/18/2005, 12:47 PM
mhurley mhurley is offline
RC Admin

Location: Naperville, IL
This thread is closed.

Let's think twice in the future about posting Private Messages and emails. This type is dispute should be resolved in private, not bickering over the board here.
Mike
RC Staff

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc