Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/07/2005, 01:53 PM
Moving Along

Talking My new work 16G nanocube

I am finally setting up my work 16G nanocube. Now I can surf RC and see my tank at the same time

Here is a view of the filte compartment. The filter return is on the right with a MJ 1200. The return on the left will be from an Eheim canister filter running carbon and other stuff. The drain for the Eheim is to the right next to the MJ 1200. Hopefully there will be pretty good water movement with these two.

It's got a 2" LS bed (thanks d34532) and a few rocks now just to get it going. Will probably put ~35lbs total when done.

And it already has it's first live critter, a nassarius snail also courtesy of d34532
Old 07/07/2005, 01:58 PM
Get Tanked With SLASH!

Looks Nice. What do you plan on keeping? did you make the tank? What are you going to do for lighting?

Looks good keep the pics coming...

------------------------------------------------
Friends don't let friends buy PC lighting.
Old 07/07/2005, 02:01 PM
Moving Along

Thanks. Yeah. I made the tank myself, figured custom make it with the things I wanted. The tank will be mostly softies and LPS. Don't want too much work at work. LOL. But I will keep a few SPS in there eventually. The plan is to have a 150W DE MH pendant with 14K bulb.
Old 07/07/2005, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

I was considering a tank for my desk at work too. The problem for me is that the AC gets shut off in the building after 5:00 and on weekends and it gets really hot in here. I would have to think of something to keep the system cool. How are you going to deal with heating/cooling issues for the times when you are not at work?
Old 07/07/2005, 02:09 PM
Premium Member

Very nice... How long did the construction take?
Old 07/07/2005, 02:10 PM
Moving Along

Quote:
Originally posted by zking67
I was considering a tank for my desk at work too. The problem for me is that the AC gets shut off in the building after 5:00 and on weekends and it gets really hot in here. I would have to think of something to keep the system cool. How are you going to deal with heating/cooling issues for the times when you are not at work?
I've been in the building before on the weekends and it's not that bad, even with the AC off. My plan is to just use a 6" clip-on fan for cooling if needed and put it on a timer.
Old 07/07/2005, 02:11 PM
Moving Along

Quote:
Originally posted by dymaxiun
Very nice... How long did the construction take?
I think it took me about 20 hours to cut, glue, drill for bulkheads, and polish. Don't really know exactly b/c I did this over 3 weekends whenever I had time.
Old 07/07/2005, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs up

very nice. always good to see reefers make thier own stuff. I call it sweat equity. make it yourself and man you can fix it too.. great looking tank. cant wait to se it with lights etc.
Old 07/07/2005, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

I am trying to get my nanocube to work. Checking proper channels to see if it is ok to bring it here.

Also i am jealous that you get to have one there.

Ummm
Old 07/07/2005, 02:58 PM
Get Tanked With SLASH!

The over flow design should work great. Pulls from the left and push back from both sides. It looks like in the picture that the Eheim canister is pulling from the Bottom of the right side and returning on the left side. Brilliant thinking!! This will keep the water moving quite nicely in tank.

------------------------------------------------
Friends don't let friends buy PC lighting.
Old 07/07/2005, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

i love it is this your first tank you made was it hard how much did the materials cost that tank is awesome
Old 07/07/2005, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

That looks great, nice work! What thickness acrylic and type of weldon did you use?
Old 07/07/2005, 03:08 PM
Moving Along

jagsy - thanks for the compliments. I decided to make it myself not so much for the cost savings, but to have it custom to my needs. I wanted the filter compartment bigger b/c I want to stock this bad boy heavily. The ready made nanocubes are just too small in the back. Yeah, I can't wait for the light and the corals either.

Wickednix - I am sure you'll have your own tank at work soon. How did it go with those T5 retrofits?

Im Lon 2 - thanks. This is basically a clone of something thats sold out there. I just wanted certain things my way My thinking in having the Eheim drain from the right side is that the canister will basically function as a final water polisher, not really a filter per se. The higher return from the MJ 1200 will do a good job of agitating the surface and the Eheim return will hopefully move the wate down below.
Old 07/07/2005, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

kenny is that black acrylic or paint? any detail pic of the seems?
Old 07/07/2005, 03:24 PM
Moving Along

evad1 - thanks. This is my first tank but I have made sumps before. In terms of how hard it was.......well, it was hard in the beginning but things do get easier. What also made it easier was that I have a lot of powertools that I used in my woodshop that I also used here. I don't know exactly how much the materials cost, but I would guess the acrylic, bulkheads, nozzels probably came out to around $90 - $100.

benny - how you doing man. Thanks for the compliments. I guess you never got my PM about the filter socks. Oh well, someone else wants them now. I used 3/8" acrylic b/c I didn't want bracing on the top for a cleaner look. Weldon #4 and #16 were used, but mostly #4

Kevin - the black parts are just painted with a flat paint. Didn't want to chance joining two pieces edge to edge Now you gonna make me look bad by asking about the seams dude I'll post a pic in a bit.
Old 07/07/2005, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

Kenny,
The 3/8 should be very sturdy in that 16g. nice work. Are you putting a production line on these anytime soon

I guess that PM slipped thru, I forgot. Glad you have a taker on them.
Old 07/07/2005, 03:43 PM
Moving Along

Quote:
Originally posted by bennyinca
Kenny,
The 3/8 should be very sturdy in that 16g. nice work. Are you putting a production line on these anytime soon

I guess that PM slipped thru, I forgot. Glad you have a taker on them.
I hope so. I only see a very slight bow in the front of the tank right now. Yeah, the production line is up, but there is a back order due date of over 2 years

I'll let you know in case the other person decides not to take the socks.
Old 07/07/2005, 03:52 PM
Moving Along

Ok, here are a few more pics.

The water movement on the surface and down below with only the MJ 1200 running is very good, more than I had imagined. I think when the Eheim kicks in, there might be too much flow for those poor softies and LPS. I see the sand surface get blown around a bit, so I may have to down grade to a MJ 900 or even a 600

The filter compartments are working as I had hoped. The only thing I need to fix is a little splashing noise from the return side if the water is more than 1.5" below the teeth. Any suggestions? Altho it's quite soothing right now. I guess people buy little waterfalls for that noise. So I have a tank that serves dual purposes

Here is one of the seams in the front. I should have left it alone after the Weldon #4. But being over cautious, I decided to use Weldon #16 at the corners Unfortunately, that's where you see the bubbles. There are actually very few bubbles inside the seams. Oh well, you live and learn.
Old 07/07/2005, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

The T5 project got delayed. Wife wanted to do the 4th stuff. I am going to mount them this weekend when she is at work. I have everything ready to go. It should take about an hour if that to get everything installed I will post pics of the project as ususal.

Ummm
Old 07/07/2005, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
The only thing I need to fix is a little splashing noise from the return side if the water is more than 1.5" below the teeth.
would the connectors that you can get for your return work, the snap in extenders?

Ummm
Old 07/07/2005, 04:13 PM
Moving Along

Quote:
Originally posted by Wickednix
would the connectors that you can get for your return work, the snap in extenders?
Don't know what you mean exactly. The splashing noise is from the water going over the teeth and dropping too far. I think I'll need to fabricate something and hang it there to reduce the splashing.
Old 07/07/2005, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

oh ok, How about a sponge type filter so it reduces noise and micro bubbles to on the way down the back.

Ummm
Old 07/07/2005, 04:22 PM
Moving Along

Quote:
Originally posted by Wickednix
oh ok, How about a sponge type filter so it reduces noise and micro bubbles to on the way down the back.
That's what I was thinking about too. Just have to figure out a way to hang it just below the teeth. Can't have it go all the way down to the bottom b/c there'll be another pump there for the CPR skimmer.
Old 07/07/2005, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

can anyone tell me where i could buy those duckbill, or whatever its called, the thing after the bulkhead that spreads the water
Old 07/07/2005, 04:35 PM
Moving Along

Quote:
Originally posted by psst
can anyone tell me where i could buy those duckbill, or whatever its called, the thing after the bulkhead that spreads the water
What city are you in? Most LFS can get them as far as I know.