Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/07/2007, 07:19 AM
Premium Member

Mantis in display with Mandarin

I think I'm ok but want some confirmation.

I have a AGA 120. I have 2 maybe 3 mantis that came in on some TBS rock. So they are N. Wenn. The rock has been in the tank for over 6 months now.

1 mantis is large. I'd say it's close to 3 inches long, maybe bigger. The other 1 is tiny. Only seen it's head and I think it's a mantis and not a pistol shrimp.

I know where the big one lives finally and I've started to feed him, krill and raw shrimp.

There have been no fish in the tank in over 8 months. I'm getting ready to add some. I've read that smashers will generally leave fish alone.

Anyone have experience with a Mandarin in a tank with N. Wen? Always wanted a mandarin and I've got all kinds of pods running around. The tank can support him, plenty of rock and I tend to run a system with a low fish load.

I have no problem feeding the mantis. I already have a mantis tank that has the first Mantis I found in it. It's where all gorilla and stone crabs I find go
Old 11/07/2007, 10:27 AM
Premium Member

Hey there!

I don't have any experience with wennerae, but I have a Scooter Blenny in my havanensis tank and he's doing awesome. He's larger than both the Mantis Shrimp and they don't seem to even care that he exists; he's just the maid.

I think if you do go for a Mandarin, try and go for one that's equal-to or larger than the largest wennerae.

I know that the P. ciliata I used to have dined on a Mandarin, two Cardinals, and a Percula Clown before I was able to get him out of the tank...

-Paul
Old 11/07/2007, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

It's a crap shoot. Personally I wouldn't do it.
Old 11/08/2007, 02:21 AM
Registered Member

Dont do it! Mandarins deserve better!
Old 11/08/2007, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

There have been successes with mantis/fish combinations but not a lot of them. if you want to optimize the chance of success, pick a bigger fish, keep the mantis well fed, have a big tank (which you have), but most important is the selection of the fish.

ideal fish is hardy quick and sticks to the water column unless it's asleep. unfortunately mandarins are kind of the opposite end of the spectrum in that regard. it's not something i would personally try but the fact that it is a large tank works in your favour.
Old 11/08/2007, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

I think it's pretty risky. Especially seing any kind of dragonet will be right in amonsgt rock (Probably right in the mantis' teritory)
I've had a smithii of 3" kill a bunch of chromis who never even went near his hole...
Old 11/12/2007, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

i personally wouldt try it. in a bigger tank the smashers tend to leave the fish alone that dont swim nest to there home and are too fast for them. but that doesnt mean they wont try and get them or smack them a few times.

it also has to do with the mantis shrimp, so dont seemed to be bothered by fish in there tank and others seem to hate the fact there in there territory. so its a 50/50 chance you have.
Old 11/12/2007, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dismalorb
Hey there!

I don't have any experience with wennerae, but I have a Scooter Blenny in my havanensis tank and he's doing awesome. He's larger than both the Mantis Shrimp and they don't seem to even care that he exists; he's just the maid.

I think if you do go for a Mandarin, try and go for one that's equal-to or larger than the largest wennerae.

I know that the P. ciliata I used to have dined on a Mandarin, two Cardinals, and a Percula Clown before I was able to get him out of the tank...
i bought a Scooter Blenny and the night i put it in he swam into Circe's pvc pipe and got whacked. i was sooo sad! but other than that i have two fish and an urchin living with her and she doesnt seem to mind.
.-"-"-.
O RLY?