Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2008, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

black sebae clown

i just purchased a clown that was labeled as a black sebae clown
but im 98% sure it's a black saddle can anyone tell me if there even is such this as a black sebae clown, and if so show a pic of what there black saddle looks like.

also is it normal for this fish to bolt right inbetween the sandbed and LR after acclimation.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:59 PM
problem algae grower

A sebae has a complete slanting middle bar and a tail that is mostly or completely solid yellow.
A polymnus may have a complete or saddle middle bar with the tail the same colour as the body.

you will almost certainly have a black saddle (A polymnus) as A sebae are less often imported to the US, they are common here in thailand though.

They are very skittish fish especially if wild caught, and reqiure a 60 gallon tank as a minimunm guidline, a 24 gallon will restrict this species, it will probably always display this skittish behaviour.

very nice fish, rough on anemones.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

ill try to get a pic of him when and if he comes out. when he was in the tank with the other clowns they were all out and swimming so i guess ill just have to give him time

the LFS i went to did have the normal color Sebae clowns tho...
Old 01/11/2008, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

When you say the LFS had normal colored sebae clowns, I am thinking that what you are talking about clarki clowns. Many LFSs still use the common name sebae clown when they are actually selling A. clarki. Yes there are black clarki clowns. They are fairly common. True sebae clowns are always black with two white stripes and a deep yellow nose, tail and sometimes belly.

True sebaes have a more torpedo shaped body like a saddleback (polymnus) clown vs. a clarki which has a more compressed shape like a tomato clown.

Not a great pic of A. sebae
Old 01/11/2008, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

well ive finally id him as a black saddle

when i left to go to school today he was still under the rocks but since ive just been home he is swimmin around the right side of the tank.

heres a pic for ya (sorry my camera is kinda crappy)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

as adtravels said they are a little hard on anemones which kind would be recomended or would a frogspawn/hammer keep him happy without him killling it with kindness
Old 01/11/2008, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Even if they're rough with anemones, if its 3x-5x bigger than the clown then the roughness shouldnt be a problem. I've found that saddles cant resist haddoni anemone and goes into one as soon as it saw one. Mines did that. My haddoni is only 3x bigger than my female saddle and its doing great.