Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks

Old 01/08/2008, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

Wow your tank is awsome.And your livestock selection is great.Love the rockwork.Is that a 210 gallon?
Old 01/08/2008, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Hey trigger - thanks! It is actually a 180. I am in the process of designing and building a 350 long sometime in summer or fall.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

Congrat on a beautiful addition. I'd jump in less than a second...it looks the female will cost more than the male. Now I've to talk to my contact at the lfs about getting a smaller one.

Quote:
Originally posted by ccampbell57
Hey JM - I paid $200 for the fish!!! It was a deal that I couldnt pass up.

I got a call on a Monday morning from my contact and he said that there was a Male crosshatch that had just been caught and the guy in hawaii wanted to make some quick cash before christmas.

It took me about oh say...2 seconds to scream out YES!!!

I paid $30 less for my Blueface!
Old 01/08/2008, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

Yeah that is definitely the issue. My female will cost more...go figure...

I think that they will look good together when I upgrade though. I am curious cause the male is soooo striking and the female looks like a more colorful version of the Blue-Throat.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

If my tank wasn't already overloaded I would love to get a pair of Crosshatch but at the same time it's difficult to justify $800 to the wife. My tank is dominated by angels and the angels are about half the size of your angels and would like to know how well they get along and did you get them when they were small?
Old 01/08/2008, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Hey flame - All the angels get along very well. I have had the Emperor since he was 2.5". He has gone through his entire color change while I have had him. I bought the blueface when he was about 4.5" (full adult coloration). Both the Emperor and Blueface have been together for about 2 years.

The queen was added about 5 months ago and is doing great.

The emperor is definitely the most dominant in the tank. He tells the others where to be and where not to be. He grunts all the time...makes me laugh.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

ccampbell--thanks for the info. My Emperor (was the first one added in along with a 4.25: PBT and Flameangels) is about 3.75 and couple of weeks later I added the 4" BF and both get along well. The Emp is definately the boss as it constantly chases my Flameangels and the newly added M & F Blue Throat Trigs out of his way. The Emp would take a small nip at the Golden Butterflies as he swims by them. So far its no harms done but have to watch the Emp as it gets bigger. The only ones not getting pushed around is the GSM pair. When it comes to feeding time no one beats the Golden Butterflies & PBT.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Flame...your Emperor will not harm any of your fish. He will continue to grunt at them and nip at their tails and basically push them away when he is coming near, but he will not inflict any harm.

He MAY kill the flame angels if they dont leave him alone or follow his directions, but that is not likely.

Mine swims gracefully around the tank...kinda strides around like he knows he is the king. Every once in a while my naso or crosshatch or niger will swim in front of him and he will chase them for 2 seconds and grunt and that is it....back to normal
Old 01/09/2008, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

That's great to hear. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by ccampbell57
Flame...your Emperor will not harm any of your fish. He will continue to grunt at them and nip at their tails and basically push them away when he is coming near, but he will not inflict any harm.

He MAY kill the flame angels if they dont leave him alone or follow his directions, but that is not likely.

Mine swims gracefully around the tank...kinda strides around like he knows he is the king. Every once in a while my naso or crosshatch or niger will swim in front of him and he will chase them for 2 seconds and grunt and that is it....back to normal
Old 01/09/2008, 05:00 PM
Team RC Member

ccampbell,

I am really impressed with your tank! I don't want to sidetrack, but I have a quick question... are you adding more fish when you build the 350, or are you upgrading to better house the fish you have?

I have a 210 I am stocking and don't know if/when I can upgrade. I'd like to stock the tank with fish that can comfortably live out their lives there. When I looked at your list, it is not so much different from the type/size fish I'd like to have.

Do you think the following could live comfortably in an AGA RR 210? Plenty of live rock and protein skimming. My question is primarily about space. The fish I have are NOT currently in the 210, they are in three other tanks.

Fish I have:
5" Hawaiian pinktail trigger
3" Niger trigger
5" Dogface Puffer
2.5" Koran angel
3" Blue spotted rabbitfish

Fish I would like to eventually add:
emperor angelfish
Australian harlequin tuskfish
mimic tang

Would these fish all be okay in a 210?

I also have a large zebra moray, Brazilian dragon moray and black tip grouper (max adult wild size is 16", mine is about 8")

I am thinking I have to decide to either get the three fish I want and find homes for these three fish, or not get the three I want and just add these to the 210.

Any thoughts?

TIA,
Lisa
Old 01/09/2008, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LisaD
ccampbell,

I am really impressed with your tank! I don't want to sidetrack, but I have a quick question... are you adding more fish when you build the 350, or are you upgrading to better house the fish you have?
I am going to add a couple of other fish. Maybe 2-4 fish. I want to have at least 5 angels (I am kind of selfish in that respect). I also want to make sure that my fish are comfortable for the rest of their lives. I really want to upgrade to a 500g, but my wife is putting her foot down on that

Quote:

I have a 210 I am stocking and don't know if/when I can upgrade. I'd like to stock the tank with fish that can comfortably live out their lives there. When I looked at your list, it is not so much different from the type/size fish I'd like to have.

Do you think the following could live comfortably in an AGA RR 210? Plenty of live rock and protein skimming. My question is primarily about space. The fish I have are NOT currently in the 210, they are in three other tanks.
I would stress that you should have at least 1# of live rock per gallon to have a higher bio-load. I currently have over 275# in mine and also have a ASM G3 skimmer that I empty every other day. I also have a 100g hang on skimmer in my refugium to reduce the bio-load. I am currently at 0ppm for nitrates due to this.

Quote:

Fish I have:
5" Hawaiian pinktail trigger
3" Niger trigger
5" Dogface Puffer
2.5" Koran angel
3" Blue spotted rabbitfish
Great list of fish! I love the pinktail trigger. All of the fish sound like they will get along in the 210.

Quote:

Fish I would like to eventually add:
emperor angelfish
Australian harlequin tuskfish
mimic tang

Would these fish all be okay in a 210?
I like these additions. THe Tusk is a beautiful fish and should be fine with the other fish. You know my answer on the Emperor. I think that he should be fine, make sure that when you add him that he is different color than the Koran angel. THey will fight if they are the same.

Quote:

I also have a large zebra moray, Brazilian dragon moray and black tip grouper (max adult wild size is 16", mine is about 8")

I am thinking I have to decide to either get the three fish I want and find homes for these three fish, or not get the three I want and just add these to the 210.
IMO - I would keep your favorite eel (I would keep the Dragon) and get rid of the Grouper and the moray.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:25 PM
Team RC Member

ccampbell,

Thanks so much for the reply. You told me what I hoped to hear, even better, because I didn't think there was room for the dragon.

I understand about not adding similar looking angels. I may keep growing out the Koran in another tank, and add a juvenile emperor, 3-5 inches to the 210. I could add the Koran once the emperor changes, after rearranging the aquascape to disrupt territories. I don't want to add any fish to the tank that are too small out of fear the dragon moray might go after it. He's left the grouper, pink tail and puffer alone, but they are decent sized. It's amazing the size food items that this fairly small, and small-mouthed, eel can swallow.

I have dreams of converting our cement floor two car garage to a room where I can have a custom tank that is 10 or 12 feet long. That is a long long way off, it if EVER happens! That 210 is looking way too small. I used to think it was huge.

I have at least 300 lbs of large pieces of cured rock to go into this tank - some from tanks set up and some in a large tub in the middle of my master bath.

I had a HT, mimic tang and emperor angel in a 5' 120, along with the zebra moray and a few odds and ends fish. The first three are my favorite fish ever. I had all the fish in this tank for 3 years and owned them all for 3-7 years, but had an Oodinium outbreak that wiped out everything but the zebra moray (which I've had forever - I bought it from Flying Fish Express when they were still in business).

The short story of the 120 wipeout - the 210 was my mom's. Ironically, I got it from her because I wanted to upgrade for my favorite fish. She had a nice established mixed reef in perfect health. I took it down and transported it from NC to NJ in September 2005. Added some of her live rock and two smallish fish to my 120 to spread it out among tanks, and crashed my tank. I should have set up more tubs. I've been talking about what to do with this tank for over two years. I'm finally actually close to ready; it's re-plumbed, connected, joists reinforced, set up and ready to fill. Soon, I'll stop talking about it and actually have set it up.

The zebra moray has a lot of sentimental value. I'll have to decide what to do with it, maybe another tank... The dragon moray is gorgeous and I wanted one for years before I found it, so it will most likely go in the 210.

Thanks again for sharing, and I apologize for hijacking.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

Wow that is quite the history behind the Zebra moray. WIth this past I would not get rid of him. I would place him in a special tank or leave 1 to 2 fish off the list and keep him in the 210.

Dont be sorry about hi-jacking...I personally don't believe in that theory on BLOGS. I enjoy hearing everyone's story because we are all obsessed with this hobby and want to chat about it!`
Old 01/09/2008, 11:10 PM
Team RC Member

my problem is that I'm attached to the fish I have, but really want the three I don't have. And I *promised* my husband that I'd get rid of the 120 in exchange for his blessing to upgrade to the 210. I'll have to think of something...

Quote:
Dont be sorry about hi-jacking...I personally don't believe in that theory on BLOGS. I enjoy hearing everyone's story because we are all obsessed with this hobby and want to chat about it!
you are gracious. in the spirit of getting back on track:

1) how is the trigger doing?
2) when you do the 350 build, you need to start a thread in the large tanks section of the forums - dimensions?
3) how long have you had the emperor and the blueface? you said they've been together 2 years, but did you have either longer than that?
4) where do you buy your angels?
Old 01/10/2008, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

1) the trigger is doing great! He is eating like a champ. I have him on full silversides soaked in vitachem. He is also eating frozen Formula 1 and frozen Formula 2. Also, I tried some flake tonight and he ate it like a champ! He is still getting his pecking line in the tank and right now he is just above the naso tang!!! I think after a month he will be much better.

2) I will definitely start a thread when I build it. THe dimensions as we stand are either 96x30x30 (375) or 96x30x25 tall (~350)

3) I have had my emperor for almost 4 years now. I got him when he was just 2 inches. I have had my blueface for 2 years now.

4) I bought my emperor from Saltwaterfish.com and my blueface special ordered from my LFS. I paid substantially more for the blueface since he was adult coloration. Go figure, cause the funnest part of the emperor was watching him grow and change colors. I bought my Queen from SWF.com as well. They have been great fish!
Old 01/10/2008, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

last night he slept with my Hippo tang!! What a gigalo
Old 01/10/2008, 08:04 PM
Team RC Member

sounds like he is making friends and influencing fish
Old 01/10/2008, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

What do you feed the rest of your fish. They look really well. I don't see any HLLE, like many other tanks have (especially the tangs and angels).
Old 01/11/2008, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

I feed my fish a bunch of different things.

- I mainly feed them frozen meaty and veggies (one kind is Formula 1&2, the other is a home made food made by my LFS).
- I also feed them silversides (all of them eat them).
- They get frozen krill. Flake food (formula 1, 2, and prime reef).
- They eat garlic soaked pellets (meat and veggie)
- I feed them Mysis shrimp

Everything is soaked in Vitachem for at least an hour and I also inject the food with the vitamins.