Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks

Old 01/09/2008, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

Unhappy not a good comeback

well, with my 30g QT tank being already cycled from the guy i got it from, i left the LR in it and did some water changes to bring the nitrates down from the LR and LS being stirred up. i thought it would be nice to have some fish to look at while i finish setting up my 125g. everything in order, i went and got 3 clownfish from my LFS yesterday. i work there and have been keeping an eye on them for awhile now. i even talked people into buying other fish instead of them(you didn't hear me say that, sshh).
today i woke up to 2 clownfish. i'm an idiot and didn't put the impellar cover on the MJ600 i have in their tank. i can't believe i forgot about that. so lo and behold, there was the other clown, stuck up in there. i feel really bad. he was the only half stripe out of the 3.
Old 01/09/2008, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Wow,

I have had Puffers get caught in a powerhead, but never a healthy clown.

I really do not thik it was your fault, something must have been amiss for the clown to get caught in the powerhead!
Old 01/09/2008, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

sorry for your loss, what type of clown was it? Some are not the greatest swimmers.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:37 AM
RC Mod

Sorry for your loss, but it might have saved you some heartache down the road. It's very common if you get 3 clownfish to have 2 of them pair off and then beat the 3rd to death.

Dave
Old 01/10/2008, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

thanks everyone, i really liked the little guy.

the thing is, these 3 have been together for at least 3 weeks in the tank at my LFS(i can't remeber when we got them). i would watch them when i went in to work, they would occasionally nip at one another, but now that you mention it, the one that died was mostly the one doing the nipping and being nipped. i didn't really think about it before. maybe they decided to really assert themselves now they got a bigger tank to swim in.
they are occelaris clowns, 2 full stripe(still alive), and 1 half stripe(dead).

i should've known something like this was coming. my girlfriend named them the second she got home: Nemo(suprise), Bob and Fred. maybe it's just me, but whenever a fish gets named, instant death.
Nemo and Fred are ok and eating great. very active.
Old 01/10/2008, 02:38 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclops23
the thing is, these 3 have been together for at least 3 weeks in the tank at my LFS(i can't remeber when we got them). i would watch them when i went in to work,
In the big scheme of this hobby, that's not really a long time. It takes a little time anyway for one to assert itself.

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclops23
i should've known something like this was coming. my girlfriend named them the second she got home: Nemo(suprise), Bob and Fred. maybe it's just me, but whenever a fish gets named, instant death.
Nemo and Fred are ok and eating great. very active.
Does she have an alternate name picked out for the one who becomes a female?
Old 01/11/2008, 12:28 PM
Premium Member

lol. i didn't even think about that.
one of these fish is gonna grow up with some major identity issues.