Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/13/2007, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Suggestions on moving livestock

Going to be moving real soon. (great time of year huh?} looking for suggestions on moving livestock. Would it be better to move livestock loose in large rubbermaid tub of water with a heater, or should I bag everything up seperately and put them in a warm container? I should be able to have a 90g tank in the new place set up and ready to put most of the stuff until I get the 125 moved and set up.

Thanks
David
Old 01/13/2007, 01:43 PM
Premium Member

depending how far you are going-i have used a small cooler moving stuff before.fill the cooler with warm water and let sit for awhile.dump it out then put tank water in with some corals and you should be ok.
Old 01/13/2007, 02:08 PM
Premium Member

IMO bag everything just like it was being shipped use styros or coolers for everything this method will allow you up to 48 hours to get it back in a tank.. also if there is a problem it is easy to transfer to a friend for safe keeping...

for the live rock I like to use tubs with as much water in them as possible to keep the rock submerged...
Old 01/13/2007, 02:08 PM
Evil Conservative

I have done it both ways. I would suggest bagging sensitive items or item prone to flesh damage. As much as you try to prevent it. Things will shift around during the move.

Scott

Response from Bean Animal
"Username or Bullseye?"

Click the Red House for my Website
Old 01/13/2007, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

I have also done both. I moved last Feb and put fish in about 3 insulated containers after warming with tap water, dumped it out and refilled with tank water.
I saved most of the remaining tank water to move the LR and the few corals I had.
This gave me good clean stable water for the tank after it was moved.
It wasn't easy but it did work. I only lost 1 coral.
Old 01/13/2007, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

Lightbulb when I moved

I moved here from florida over the summer and just dumped everything including fish into a big rubbermaid bin. I added a converter to the battery put the skimmer in the bin and ran it the whole time(you could run a heater too i'm sure).I dumped most of my sps thinking they would never make the drive but I still had sps crust on the rock.Everything made it and the crust is now becomming frags. I doubt your move will be as far as mine but I do know that this option worked great. Keep in mind this is a BB tank ,90 gallon. Good luck
Old 01/13/2007, 06:09 PM
Killer of Giants

good thread, i wanted the answers to these questions myself. I've got my 180 in place, doing the plumbing tomorrow. Although it's going to be a huge under taking, I'm planning on bagging everything and re-gluing it to the LR.

Gonna move the fish last and try to get them 2 or 3 to a bucket then re-acclimate the buckets with drip method, just in case. then pour them in.
Old 01/13/2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for your input folks. Seems like bagging stuff might be the safe way to go. Might not bag the fish though seems like it might be more stress for them to try and bag/unbag during a move. I have an inverter I can use a heater with. I do have a yellow tang that thinks its king of the world I can't add new fish with anyone want it? Might do better being added to a tank last.
Old 01/14/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

dyeman if you need some coolers I have about 5 or 6 you could use they are styrofoam with tops.pm me if interested.
Old 01/14/2007, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

Dyeman - How far are you moving? I just moved last Sept. from West to East side and I can tell you one thing you probably know already - it's a big pain in the A! most of my stuff was stuck onto the rocks so it was tough to move so I just boxed them all in Styrofoam cooler I bough my LR in. You can get some from the LFS. All the fish were kept in a separate rubbermaid tub. Try to save as much of the water as possible. I had my 125 all set up prior to moving the livestock over so that helped but plan on taking a long time to acclimate if you have the tank filled.

Good luck - I'm not sure if I'd ever move a tank again but I had alot of specimens that were in great condition that I hated to part with.

E
Old 01/14/2007, 11:34 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Been there and done this. If you don't have an aquarium up and running at the new house I'd sell the livestock or give it to someone else to hold until after the move. I didn't post this immediately. It's not easy advice to give.
Old 01/15/2007, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

i moved my 29g about 3 months ago and bagged everything and put all rock in a 5g bucket. i was lucky that most of my corals were not attached to large rocks so they were easily seperated and bagged as well. i kept as much tank water as possible, but make sure you have a lot of new saltwater on hand just incase. i dumped the crush coral substrate and put in new sand after it was moved. i would definitly start this project early in the morning... it took me over 12 hours from start to finish, but i didnt lose a single thing. i had one leather that got crushed by the rock it was attached to during transit and about half of it turned black and fell off. i discarded that and the rest recovered.