Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/27/2007, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

I've been amazed at how it's grown in this tank.Is it possible that there are different strains of the same grass?On the farm we had all kinds of different types of say... wheat,you can get short growth,tall,fast growing,slow,just depending on the growing season and the soil conditions you have.
It makes Me wonder if....depending where your grass came from, would it have a difference on growth?
Old 10/27/2007, 09:14 PM
Here's lookin at you

I think you're just doing something it really likes. Strangely enough with mine when I upgraded the lighting growth slowed, even though the spectrum was basically the same. Havent gone MH yet though, thats next.

"The world is headed for mutiny when all we want is unity" Scott Stapp, Creed
Old 10/28/2007, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

whoa!!!!! congrats 3D-reef, i think you are the most successful aquarist with thallasia the world has ever seen. That is real lush growth. My thallasia bed has been with me for more than 2 years and the growth is kinda pathetic, and its even 1/5 as lush as yours. Way to go!!!

I wonder if I should dose Fe to kick up the growth as i have never dosed before? Is it really that necessary? I'm worried it will cause other algae blooms.
Old 10/28/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the kind words!!!

Fe has been kicked around quite a bit,when I first started this system I was pushing Fe to the limit,just to see what happens.I dosed up to 15 ml/day.The draw back of such a high dose being diotoms and precipitation too the rocks.
Of course,back then I didn't have very many corals in the DT.
Now I have a good assortment in the DT and I'm not so willing to experiment.Well...I do,I just don't push limits.

IME All algae and plants will benefit from Fe additions,from the algae in corals to hair algae.So adding Fe will help grow what ever is dominate in your system.IMO It depends alot on the phosphate,along with dKh readings,as to what is dominate.

My fuge is 5'x2'x19",so it's quite large compared to most systems,and I have alot of macro alga and plants to keep happy.Yet My best indicator is the coralline algae.I normally dose 5-10 ml/week (now),and when the coralline starts to turn white,I'll add an other 5ml.
Old 10/29/2007, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

holy plant! that is one wicked sump!

Less is more, more or less. :p
Old 11/16/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

I just read an article that said that turtle grass does best when grown under 620nm light.With light intensities of 200-450 foot candles.
The rhizomes were found to be at 2-4" deep.
The max salinity is 48.0,and the min 10 ppt.With 25-35ppt being the best.
The best temp is 30c.Temps below or above 20-30c may cause leaf mortality.

Last edited by 3D-Reef; 11/16/2007 at 09:14 PM.