Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/03/2006, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

water changes

For those of u with larger tanks who dont have any sort of mixing system, how do you handle water changes? Pulling 60 Gallons out of a 180g is easy, but making a fresh batch of 60g SW isnt. So for those of u who dont have any sort of mixing/holding system, how do you do it?
Old 12/03/2006, 02:21 PM
Moved On

Well I know you said for those who dont have a mixing / holding system. But when preforming saltwater changes you really should spend the extra money and purchase a R/O Water Unit which preforms reverse osmosis on your water, as well as purchase a large rubbermaid container. Hold your water in this container, place a powerhead inside to keep the water going and mix the salt into the water right in the container. Its simply and really easy, and if you want to get really picky you can even place a heater to ensure not only the salnity is perfect but so is the temperature as well.
Old 12/03/2006, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

Yes, i know that, which is why i asked what people who DON'T have any means of a holding system use. I already have a 30g R/O system which i use for my reef, im just curious as to what people with larger tanks who do not use any sort of holding mixing system do.
Old 12/03/2006, 04:09 PM
Moved On

I just thought I would post that, wasnt sure if you already knew all about R/O units and what not. But I would think most people with large aquariums would have holding and mixing systems becasue its alot easier when dealing with larger amounts of water. For instense I have a 325 gallon aquarium and I have only ever done it this way. I am not sure how else you would do it, becasue either way you have to mix your salt into your water somehow wether it be in a large container or small buckets.
Old 12/03/2006, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

You can buy an idustrial garbage can at home depot that will work well. they are heavy duty, so you won't have to worry about it busting. Like bhewko said, stick a power head in there and mix it up.
Old 12/03/2006, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

When I would do one on the 135, I had my Brute 40 gallon trash can on casters and a water pump. I would set the water pump into the aquarium and turn it on and let it drain down the toilet to a set level which I know is 35 gallons, then I would use a 5 gallon bucket and put it in the bathtub and fill it up while pumping with that same pump into the trash can. 10 cups of salt and water conditioner and then once full, I would put the pump in there and the hose end in there also and let it mix itself for a few minutes until clear, check spg, and then pump directly back into the tank. I never have to lift a bucket and with a powerstrip extension cord, I can easily flip on/off the pump when moving water around.

I don't use RODI water, tap for me. If I had a system that required it I would, but I don't.
Old 12/03/2006, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

......but have been trying a new route this week with doing a 12 gallon change every other day. This way I don't have to power down the system and deal with those goddamn Emp 400's not coming back online. (sand plus big coris wrasse = jammed impeller).
Old 12/11/2006, 12:34 AM
Premium Member

toilet, bathtub and tapwater..... lunker101 i really wouldnt do that, since you are limited to not having a large storage batch container, i would maybe check into your local fish stores and buy, good premixed/aged saltwater from them. your only investment would be in some 3-5 gallon containers. its a pain but at least you know you are getting good water without the setup cost and room a large storage/batch setup would cost, also you wont have to worry about pubes or toenails from bathtub water!