Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/26/2007, 11:02 PM
Premium Member

Acrylic scratch removal?

Hello,

Is there anyone, or a service in the area that could remove arylic scratchs? I have a couple of scratches in my tank but I am afraid to do it myself. Maybe someone has a recomendation.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 11/27/2007, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

No advice on who to do it, but it is easy to do yourself. I bought the kit from Premium Aquatics and it really kicked butt. I highly recommend it. Are you doing it in the tank, or outside? I wouldn't use the scratch buffing compound in the tank, but the sandpapers are more than adequate. HTH
Old 11/27/2007, 10:49 AM
Premium Member

All the scratches are inside the tank. They are pretty minor but they are all I can look at. I am still afraid to attempt this, as I have read on other forums that the wound up leaving a foggy mess of very fine scratches instead which were more noticable. There must be someone out there that does this sort of thing, maybe the local fish shop would know?
Old 11/27/2007, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

I'm interested in some help too. Bad thing about acryllic is that it scratches, good thing is the scratches can be removed if you know what you're doing. Since, like Rob, I don't, we could use assistance. Anyone?
Old 11/27/2007, 03:24 PM
Premium Member

I just called Old Town and they told me that since I do not have my tank serviced by them they cannot fix my scratches. But if I were on their service schedule I guess they would fix it then. Not very nice at all...
Old 11/27/2007, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

I guess I am gonna try to do this myself, does anyone have recomendations as far as the kits go? I need to be able to fix it under water.
Old 11/27/2007, 04:54 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

3M wet/dry sanpaper does the job just fine. alot cheaper than the "scratch removal kits" on line.
Old 11/27/2007, 04:56 PM
Premium Member

It depends on how deep your scratches are, if they aren't too deep you might be able to get away with using novus 3 step acrylic polish without having to wetsand. But you would have to drain your tank....

Thou Shalt Love Thy Wrasse
Old 11/27/2007, 04:58 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Don't drain your tank and use the wet/dry sandpaper.
Old 11/27/2007, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

I agree that wet/dry sandpaper is the way to go. The kits have several grits that need to be used in order to get the best results. My kit had 1500, 2400, 3200,4800,6000,8000, and 12000 grit. The 1500 removed scratches right away but the acrylic looks bad (scratched and cloudy), and by the time I went to 8000 grit the cloudiness and scratches were gone. All it takes is some elbow grease and a lot of praying. good luck.
Old 11/27/2007, 09:15 PM
Premium Member

I've had good luck with the Micromesh kits for removing scratches from acrylic. http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/acry..._hand_kits.htm

It is a lot of work, but it does make a good difference. Also, even if you think it looks like many very fine scratches at the end, they disappear when you fill it with water.
Old 11/27/2007, 09:22 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Quote:
Originally posted by ecojoe
I've had good luck with the Micromesh kits for removing scratches from acrylic.
And I am sure the on line vendors that you bought them from are extremely happy as well BUT you can spend half that amount of money at your local hardware store and buy five times the amount of wet/dry sandpaper and never have to buy another "acrylic scratch removal kit" again for the rest of your life.
Old 11/28/2007, 01:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Freed
And I am sure the on line vendors that you bought them from are extremely happy as well BUT you can spend half that amount of money at your local hardware store and buy five times the amount of wet/dry sandpaper and never have to buy another "acrylic scratch removal kit" again for the rest of your life.
True, but I was having trouble finding the very fine grit sandpaper at the typical home improvement stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc), they carried the more commonly used rougher grades. Stores like Ace were better, but I never was able to reliably find all the grades of sandpaper that kit provides.