Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

Question Feeding Zebra Moray eel

I recently purchased a zebra moray eel the lfs said to only feed once a week that dosnt sound like enough to me. If anyone has experince with them how many times a week, how much at one feeding, and other than krill what will they eat?
thanks josh
Old 12/27/2007, 05:55 PM
10 & Over Club

Please read this article on care & husbandry of Zebra morays
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/fm/index.php

frank
PS- go to the grocery store and buy shell-on gulf shrimp (uncooked), its way better than krill. Also blue crab w/ shell on is excellent as well.
Old 12/28/2007, 02:19 AM
Registered Member

I had one for several years (eventually gave it away). I would feed it every 3 or 4 days. If I went much longer than that it would start roaming around the tank more. Otherwise, it would mostly stay in it's hideout. Mine would eat 2 or 3 whole grocery store shrimp - the ones about the size of my pinky finger. It also liked frozen squid, again from the grocery store.
Old 12/28/2007, 07:24 AM
Team RC Member

My zebra moray seems to want to eat far less frequently than the Brazilian dragon moray. The zebra will stick its head out for food maybe twice a week. The BDM will cruise the tank daily, always on the lookout for food.
Old 12/28/2007, 09:00 AM
Premium Member

rock boring sea urchins(Echinometra mathaei)
......are the zebra eels diet in the wild.....I would go down to the reef and pick up a couple of them off the rocksand feed it once a week....
Old 12/28/2007, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

I would feed our zebras about every 2 days or so. I would feed wild caught shrimp, squid and krill.
Old 12/28/2007, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

thanks for all the info, i got a little suprise last night i tried to hand feed it and he missed he nipped my finger opps. the link that FMARINI posted sugedted fiddler crabs, but the only ones i can get are either wild caught or from the bait store ( same as wild caught) is this safe ?
Old 12/28/2007, 08:12 PM
Grouper Pooper Scooper

I have 3 Zebras, and I make a weekly trip to the bait shop for live shrimp and fiddler crabs, and let them hunt them naturally. They go after the crabs first.
Old 12/28/2007, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

i had a nice zebra he ate nothing but hand fed krill.but watch your fingers,LOL