Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 12/15/2007, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by siwelk
ill have to check out those mounting grooves you speak of when i get back from my first trip to Premium Aquatics

im so glad theyre only an hour away...i just wish we werent in the middle of a winter storm warning all day.
You have to open the fixture up but if there are two hollow channels running along the top on each side of teh top vent, chnaces are the fixture will accept the fan mounting hardware from one of the other fixtures that mounts the fans up top (Outer Orbit for example). You can get the parts through a Current USA dealer that sells the parts (Marine Depot). I'm not saying for sure that a fan up top would help. It just may help cool that ballasts a little bit which may not even be an issue in the long term.
Old 12/15/2007, 10:48 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by DarG
It is also possible that a replacement fan and bracket assembly from an Outer Orbit or other Current fixture would actually bolt right up into one of the top vents. The current fixtures all share many common traits and basic parts are interchangeable in alot of cases. The Nova very likely has the two grooves that run along the top edge which are made to huld brackets for fans, ballasts etc. Maybe leaving the fans as is and adding one up top would be plenty to draw some air up and help cool the ballasts without losing the cooling to the bulbs.

Earlier I was referring to there being no noticeable drop in output after the Nova warms up. I think that is atleast a modest indicator that the cooling is effective. I have read multiple questions and complaints from TEK owners who stated that there fixtures seemed to get dimmer after several minutes of being turned on when the acrylic lens is in use. Not making any comparisoons as to which fixture is better, just pointing out a known issue of the passively "cooled" TEK that apparently the Nova doesnt suffer from because the fan cooling seems to be effective enough.
If there is a way to mount a fan in the top it is a far superior method to cool the unit. That draws air from each end (so the lamps are equally cooled at both ends) and the ballasts. I would block off the upper halves of the fan/vent holes so the air is drawn in from the bottom so it does draw past the lamps instead of above them. Would make a nice DIY project.
Old 12/15/2007, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

that sounds like a pretty good idea, when i have some time this week ill look into "hot rodding" the fixture as you put it Grim. id really like to get the most out of this fixture, at least get it to a more respectable level so maybe people will stop bashing them

it would be nice to put out some PAR number very close to a TEK light with the same bulb config.
Old 12/15/2007, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

also Grim, someone had suggested to me to use UVL super actinic bulbs when i upgrade. it wasnt a bulb that you recommended to me. whats your opinion on this bulb?
Old 12/15/2007, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
also Grim, someone had suggested to me to use UVL super actinic bulbs when i upgrade. it wasnt a bulb that you recommended to me. whats your opinion on this bulb?
I wont make specific bulb comination suggestions but just to let you know, the UVL super actinic is the highest par true/super/pure actinic (420nm) of the top bulbs. So, if you do use a super actinic, it's probably the best one.
Old 12/15/2007, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

thanks DarG. im going to have to do some more reading up on T5 bulbs so i can get a better grasp of what theyre actually giving me. i thought the super actinic was a really "blue" bulb. im not sure if this is the right description, but ive seen some tanks that have a really blue look to them and i dont like it much. i prefer a crisp white with a blue tint to it. im not sure but i think this may be in the 14000K range?? i really have on other way to explain it than comparing the look to those xenon headlamps in newer model vehicles.
Old 12/15/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

The pure actinic or super actinic bulbs are more of a purplish bulb than a blue. The ATI blue Plus, Giesemann actinic plus are blue bulbs. The Current USA bulbs that came with your fixture are probably the Current 460nm which they call or used to call "actinic" but they are actually blue. Current does have a 'true" actinic 420nm bulb as well. The blue bulbs have higher par than the actinic purple bulbs.

The ATI Aquablue bulbs are white with a slight blue tint. They are probably 11000K or 12000K. The next bluer bulb gets really blue like the blue plus. The only way anyone really gets to a color that they really like is by buying some of each of the bulbs and experimenting. But starting off with something that Grim recommends you cant go wrong. Then you can tweak from there if you want to adjust the color some.
Old 12/15/2007, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

thanks for explaining that DarG, the whole T5 bulb thing makes more sense now. i wasnt sure of the colorations of the different bulbs. youre probably right that im just going to have to go with a good recommendation to start and then experiment from there until i find something i like and that works well. i just wanted to have a good idea of where i should be heading and what bulbs to look at.

thanks to both you and Grim for helping me learn so much about T5 lighting. ill definately be giving props to you guys once i get my tank running.
Old 12/15/2007, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

btw, i also have a build thread here

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1269511

i would appreciate any advice or tips you have for me as my build comes along as well. its nice to have someone of your and Grim's expertise tagging along and helping me out.
Old 12/15/2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
The ATI has about the same look just not as much PAR as the UVL. Lack of PAR isn't an issue in your case.

I don't think people are bashing them as much pointing out they shouldn't be considered in the same class as the Teks and such until current decides to use the right material in the reflectors at least. It's amazing how people think they can spend 150 bux for an E-bay fixture and have it perform like a 400 dollar fixture. Nothing wrong with the Novas for a tank that is less than 18" tall, over 18 inches and you got to be careful what you put lower down in the tank.
Old 12/15/2007, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
The ATI has about the same look just not as much PAR as the UVL. Lack of PAR isn't an issue in your case.

I don't think people are bashing them as much pointing out they shouldn't be considered in the same class as the Teks and such until current decides to use the right material in the reflectors at least. It's amazing how people think they can spend 150 bux for an E-bay fixture and have it perform like a 400 dollar fixture. Nothing wrong with the Novas for a tank that is less than 18" tall, over 18 inches and you got to be careful what you put lower down in the tank.
That's fair Grim and I would agree. But is Sunlight Supply any better by ignoring the cooling issue and not putting fans in the fixture. Sure, you can run without the acrylic shield but then you need to pay extra attention to salt on the reflectors and if I'm not mistaken, the endcaps are not water proof. The bottom line is that both of these companies ignore the short comings of the fixtures because they sell them regardless. If they didnt sell because of the issues, they would both remedy them.
Old 12/15/2007, 09:32 PM
See if you can pingaso it

"current decides to use the right material in the reflectors at least."

What is current using to make the reflectors from ?
Old 12/15/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

Grim you got a pm.
Old 12/15/2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DarG
That's fair Grim and I would agree. But is Sunlight Supply any better by ignoring the cooling issue and not putting fans in the fixture. Sure, you can run without the acrylic shield but then you need to pay extra attention to salt on the reflectors and if I'm not mistaken, the endcaps are not water proof. The bottom line is that both of these companies ignore the short comings of the fixtures because they sell them regardless. If they didnt sell because of the issues, they would both remedy them.
It pretty easy to remidy the cooling issue. Reflectors are a lot more complicated
Old 12/15/2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jman77
"current decides to use the right material in the reflectors at least."

What is current using to make the reflectors from ?
Simple polished aluminum doesn't cut it. If you've ever seen the Tek reflectors they really aren't very shiny, yet they produce more light than a very polished reflector that was a near duplicate of a Ice Cap reflector. The specular aluminum has a coating that makes them more reflective, like 95% and as high as 98% for the Silver coat ATI uses.
Old 12/15/2007, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
It pretty easy to remidy the cooling issue. Reflectors are a lot more complicated
But they wont do it ...
And while reflectors may be more complicated, what Current did was better but not an honest attempt at good. You cant tell me that they cant have some company design them effective T5 reflectors. The problem is that they would have to change the housing to implement them. It's not that either comapny can't, they dont. And why should they, they are selling fixtures out the ears. Just about every LFS and every website sells Current.
And most casual reefers think that TEK is the best you can buy.
Old 12/15/2007, 10:29 PM

They could easily change the reflector material, material cost is the sticking point. The Tek fixture is also made with a stamped reflector, its just a better design and material.

For Tek to deal with the cooling issue within the fixture is a little harder because there really isn't room for fans. What they should do is put their name on some of those external fan arrays and either make them an option or include them with the fixtures.
Old 12/15/2007, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

Ok I have worked out with Grim to have this fixture tested. I am sending him my 48" fixture the same day I get it. I am really interested in seeing the numbers that these fixtures can put out. He is gonna test the stock bulbs then put in the bulbs of his choice and see what the difference is. Then the we all will just the just have the facts. Hope this will help everybody thinking about buying this light or another T-5 fixture.
Old 12/15/2007, 10:58 PM

Kudos to Mo for ponying up the use of a brand new fixture, taking a shot for the team. Once this weather breaks offers of some frags or something for him wouldn't be out of line considering he's eating the shipping for this. I have some deluxe bubble algae I could send
Old 12/15/2007, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

Thats awesome that moprint is going to send you his fixture for testing. im really interested in getting some hard numbers. the funny thing is about a month ago i started a thread looking for someone who was willing to do some testing for me and i was going to loan them my light for a while since i wasnt using it abytime soon. i posted in the lighting forum as well as my regional forum but got no responses. i didnt plan on shipping the light to just anyone but if i knew you were willing to do this grim, i would have gladly shipped it to you. ill see if i cant dig up that thread later. i havent checked it in a good while. maybe after i do some cooling modifications down the road you could test mine and see if theres any significant difference.
Old 12/15/2007, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

i cant use the search right now but i believe the title of the thread was ''willing to loan out new light fixture for PAR testing''
Old 12/16/2007, 12:17 AM

Yeah, I am willing to test about anything, especially single malt scotch

I get so tied up in this thread I really don't browse the forum much anymore.
Old 12/16/2007, 01:13 AM
Registered Member

scotchy scotch scotch...here it goes down...down into my belly

you better be careful. if you spend too much time on this thread everyone over on the T5 Q&A thread will br freaking out thinkin you fell of the face of the earth.
Old 12/21/2007, 02:26 AM
Registered Member

so whats the news on the T5 test between the nova and the TEK??? I cant wait for the results, this will decide the decision for my lighting scenario. Will the 36" nova pro work on and 18" wide tank?
Old 12/21/2007, 07:30 AM
Registered Member

im guessing the Nova and TEk will be very similar in performance, and the nova is about $150 cheaper. still waiting to see actual numbers though. i have my Nova over my 30g and it is 12" wide. theres definately enough light to go around. i dont think youll have any problems with an 18" wide tank. i would imagine that most everything youll want to keep under the light will at least be an inch or two away from the front and back glass, making your "living creature space" in the 14"-16" range.