Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture

Old 12/08/2007, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dendronepthya
If you want to go with no artificial light, you're probably going to be limited in the corals you can keep.

I live in Ohio and I am not able to grow some of the more light demanding corals like Acropora. In the summer, there is a lot of light to the point I have to use shade cloth extensively, but 8 months out of the year, the light really diminishes and those corals really struggle. Most turn brown immediately and only start to color up in mid summer. In essence, they only look good for about 1.5 months then it's back to brown.

LPS, some soft corals, and mushrooms have done well for me provided that they get enough shade in the summer. In the winter, they actually look much more comfortable and expand really well.
What type of glazing are you using? Also, turning brown doesn't mean the coral has stopped growing, does it?
Old 12/08/2007, 04:16 PM
Aspiring Polymath

Quote:
Originally posted by samtheman
What type of glazing are you using? Also, turning brown doesn't mean the coral has stopped growing, does it?
I'm using polycarbonate structural sheet. In my case, the brown color did mean the corals stopped growing because I'd lose about 20% of the high light SPS corals every winter. Basically, the acropora didn't do well. The montipora I had were more resilient and while they all turned brown in the winter, they were able to survive and color up for about half the year.
Old 12/08/2007, 04:19 PM
yes it's my aquarium

dendro... do you have a link to your greenhouse build thread?
Old 12/08/2007, 04:39 PM
Aspiring Polymath

Here is a link to my thread, but it's a few years old now and a lot has changed since then.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...nhouse+project