Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture

Old 12/06/2007, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

One way to make more money with less space in a small frag tank/operation is to grow LE corals that are expensive and in high demand. Tyree chalices would be a good example. They are very expensive, alot or people want them, and are cheaper to maintain than most SPS (less light, less flow). Usually slow growers, but if you had an army of awesome corals, you probably could make some money (if everything thrives). That's how I convinced my wife it was okay to buy the pink, red, Jayda, and Bazooka Joe, and others.
Old 12/06/2007, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefTECK

Marketing is really the key here, and I think if you want to actually make money back within 5 years you have to 1: Promote yourself and a website, 2: take as much free money as possible (I was just awarded $45,000 in grant money for my aquaculture project) 3: Run numbers, know the market, and look at the demographics in your area. This hobby requires a market with alot of disposable income. Don't try to run a coral farm in Michigan, Iowa, Missouri, etc.
Would you mind elaborating on how you got 45k to grow coral?
Old 12/06/2007, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

Oh come on. Michigan has disposable income.

Thats great that people are handing out grants for growing coral. I would also like to know where to get 45K from.
Old 12/06/2007, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

Who would turn it down
Old 12/06/2007, 01:48 PM
master of junk mail

I've got to disagree with the idea of focusing on one coral to prop. Selling locally or over the internet, you will saturate the market. If you've got nothing else to offer, people will stop looking to you for coral. Even an LFS has a dry spell on xenia, where it just doesn't sell for 6-8mos.
More so for an LE, saturate your market until its just an E, drives your price down.
You're better off finding many different corals that can be grown under similar conditions. Definitely define your market though. I've seen an absolutely fantastic home-brew aquaculture setup fizzle because they were selling to both stores and individuals at the same price. I'd choose one or another, or at least establish wholesale and retail price structures.
Also, if you sell to a store, don't get caught up in selling for credit at the same price as cash outright. If you sell $50 in corals and get cash, the store paid $50. If you sell $50 and get $50 credit, the store paid roughly $25 (depending on what you use it on, and not counting opportunity cost).

Research, research, research.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:20 AM
Registered Member

Why not run a coral farm in Michigan? It can obviously be done with success.
Old 12/07/2007, 01:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Why not run a coral farm in Michigan? It can obviously be done with success.
I think he is just saying that you should keep in mind how many local LFS's you can sell to as well as how much sales you will be doing there.
Old 12/07/2007, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

Thanks to all for the support and advice offered so far. One more question, can a greenhouse be made in the Pennsylvania and work (average of 204 days of sunshine a year)? If so are there any special things that need to be done?

I got that idea from Anthony Calfo's speech.

Last edited by barnett8; 12/07/2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12/07/2007, 04:17 PM
DIY Junkie

Well, If you got that IDea from Anthony....His GH is in pennsylvania

The factors to think about in setting up a GH in any location are; Light...how much light will hit the GH during the day (especially the shortest days of the year when the sun is low), make sure you don't set up your GH with lots of shading trees around (duh). How will you deal with heat in the summer....will you be able to get by with ventiliation and evaporative cooling, or will you need to go further and install swamp coolers, or chillers. Dealing with cold...how will you heat the water, is heating the GH better, or heating the water. Also, the costs associated with heating and cooling are prob the largest costs involved in the running of a GH (aside from initial setup).

I am planning a GH next to you on Ohio, and these are some of the things i've been figurung out. There is a commercial GH down the road about 20 miles from me and He uses supplemental MH lighting in the winter to keep the days long enough for the corals.