Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/25/2003, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

losing my fish fast HELP!!!!

i lost 3 fish today and the rest look bad also i had a fish with ich and i treated him but ti think it spread throughout the whole tank
a feww fish are losing color and have cloudy eyes what is this and what do i do

i've been feeding them everything soaked in garlic and selcon

please help
Old 10/25/2003, 08:48 PM
Vegetative Protoplasm

HIPPUS
Can you give a few more details on your fish? Breathing Heavy? Sloughing Slime Coat??
From the cloudy eyes....you might have Brook.
Have you added any new fish lately? Did you quarentine them before adding them to your main tank?
Is this a reef tank with inverts and/or Live Rock?

Which fish died? What fish are still alive? What are your water parameters??

Where is the fish woth "Ich" that you treated? Why do you think it had "Ich"? What did you treat it with???
Old 10/25/2003, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

the fish with ich died along with my 2 clowns and my gold ring tang my yellow tang and hippo tang now have this also but they aren't as bad as the others were

it is a reef tank
no new fish lately
no heavy breathing but me gf said the goldring tang looked as if he was shedding right before she fell asleep last night and woke up this morning and he was dead i have alot of live rock in the tank and i've seen some thin on some of it that i never saw before it is like small puffy white things growing all over them i can't describe it but the almost look like the cotton end of a q-tip but smaller if i can get a pic tomorrow i'll post it they're scaring me i hope this is not my problem cuase i'll have to remove all the rock and it's been in there for 1 year now
Old 10/26/2003, 04:57 PM
20 and over club

No heavy breathing at all? That is unusual for fish to die from marine "Ich" without showing heavy breathing as it is the damage that the parasites do to the gills that kill the fish in most cases. What signs did the fish that you think had "Ich" show?

The other signs sound like Brooklynella as suggested by oama, but without heavy breathing it is unlikely it is Brooklynella.

It is very unlikely that the growths you are seeing on the live rock have anything to do with the fish deaths. Fish diseases don't generally live on other hosts.
Old 10/26/2003, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

figured it all out the growths on the rock are sponge and the tank has marine velvet

added 2 more uv sterlizers to tank, bought new filter, and treated the tank

thanks for all the help
Old 10/26/2003, 05:15 PM
20 and over club

Marine velvet also causes rapid breathing as the gills are the main site of infection.

How did you treat the tank? Copper is about the only effective treatment for marine velvet (other than chloroquine diphosphate which is not easy to get hold of) and you can't use copper with live rock. The UV sterilizers will be of very limited value.
Old 10/26/2003, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

rally or something like that and yes now all fish are breathing really heavy i hope the rest survive what is the main cause of this disease
Old 10/26/2003, 07:42 PM
20 and over club

Marine velvet is caused by a parasite called Amyloodinium ocellatum. See: Amyloodiniosis.
Old 10/26/2003, 07:47 PM
20 and over club

Marine velvet is caused by a parasite called Amyloodinium ocellatum. See: Amyloodiniosis.
Old 10/27/2003, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

i removed the rest of my fish to a hospital tank and they all are fine as of now and they all got there color back so now i have to do a water change from the main tank