Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2006, 12:38 PM
Premium Member

A Model T weighed 1400 pounds, had a top speed of 44 mph and its engine turned out a whopping 20 hp. A better comparison would be to compare a Model T's fuel effeciency with my lawn mower.

Plus the engine did not run a large generator and air conditioning unit and had no emmission requirements. No mufflers or cataletic converters.

Quote:
I also read in this thread about the cost of adhearing to Kyoto. Well the cost not to is far worse. A lot of the world population lives next to the coast, and although people can move, the industries and cities that make civilization what it is today cannot.
This is conjecture or an uninformed opinion that cannot be supported by the facts.

Mike
Old 12/19/2006, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MCary
A Model T weighed 1400 pounds, had a top speed of 44 mph and its engine turned out a whopping 20 hp. A better comparison would be to compare a Model T's fuel effeciency with my lawn mower.

Plus the engine did not run a large generator and air conditioning unit and had no emmission requirements. No mufflers or cataletic converters.

This is conjecture or an uninformed opinion that cannot be supported by the facts.

Mike
Still its a suprising for an almost 100 year old car. And lawn mowers today are a bad poluter for their size.

The declining ice shelfs of Greenland and Antarctica are fact. Where do you think that water is going to go? Thermal expansion will also play a smaller part in rising the oceans.

Two thirde of the world population live within 80km of the ocean. In Bangladesh 10 million people live within 1m of the ocean. Where do they go?
Old 12/20/2006, 02:13 AM
Premium Member

Where do they go?

Swimming I guess.

We really need to start building more nuclear power plants to cut down on green house gas emissions.
Old 12/20/2006, 03:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RichardS
Where do they go?

Swimming I guess.

We really need to start building more nuclear power plants to cut down on green house gas emissions.
plenty of cheaper ways to do it. Without the mess too.
Old 12/20/2006, 03:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
The declining ice shelfs of Greenland and Antarctica are fact.
Actually you need to check your facts. Antartica which is comprised of 90% of the Earths ice is growing by 1000's of gigatons a year. The ice shelves themselves by ~26.8 gigatons per year. (measurements from synthetic aperture radar) This is an instance where what you've heard and what is real often diverge.

Here's the problem:

Quote:
“The disintegration of the ice shelf—1,260 square miles in area and 650 feet thick—was most alarming to some because of the extraordinary rapidity of the collapse,” wrote the Washington Post on March 20. “The shelf is believed to have existed for as long as 12,000 years before regional temperatures began to rise, yet it disintegrated literally before scientists’ eyes over a 35-day period that began Jan. 31.”
Even though scientists did not contribute this to global warming, the Washington Post did.

John Daly:

Quote:
“The Larsen break-up has been coming for years, and its demise has long been expected. ... It's dramatic, happens on a grand scale, but also very, very, natural.”
Hippie's loved peer reviewed magazines.

Nature recently published a study that found the Antarctic has actually been cooling since 1966. Another study in Science recently found the West Antarctic Ice Sheet has been thickening rather than thinning. (See “New studies throw cold water on warming theory,” Environment & Climate News, March 2002.)

Even though it is often said that a consensus of scientists believe in Global Warming, doomsday senerios of interupted ocean currents and huge sea level rises are only held by a few. Scientists are even backing off the Global Warming idea since most predictions have fell short by as much as 1100% and instead have adopted the term "Global Climate Change" They can then claim success by siting a changing weather pattern rather than a temperature.

Mike

Last edited by MCary; 12/20/2006 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12/20/2006, 11:38 PM
I hug trees, not Bushes

Please, oh please, don't tell me you're dredging John Daly up from his grave. That guy is dubious at best.

The Western ice sheet is apparently THICKENING, as is the ice at the center of Greenland (but melting at the coast). Warming oceans will provide more moisture, and moisture at the poles will freeze (it is below freezing after all). If it snows in the middle of the arctic, the snow pushes outward to form the ice shelves. More snow creates thicker shelves, but not necessarily a larger RANGE for the ice. It actually helps support GW, not disprove it, so thanks.

This is a nice article and video to show the range of arctic ice since the 70's.
http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/env..._meltdown.html
http://www.nasa.gov/mpg/157179main_mm4_320x240.mpg

All statements have been peer reviewed.
Old 12/21/2006, 12:11 AM
Premium Member

Leave it to you Hippie to say that cooling temps are a sign of global warming. At least your consistant.
Old 12/21/2006, 01:02 AM
I hug trees, not Bushes

Leave it to you to ignore everything that doesn't fit into your model. The only place that it might be cooling is the Antarctic, hardly a GLOBAL measure. Remember, it's called the "global warming" theory, not "if it's cooling in one area it must not be warming globally, I mean that's just silly to think that Earth would be so inconsistent" theory.

Old 12/21/2006, 11:21 AM
Premium Member

The topic of my post was Antartica not global warming. I was pointing out that the information on the Antartic shelf was inaccurate stemming mostly from a hyped story in the media linking the breakup to Global Warming where no link was being claimed by the scientists. We also have to remember that Antartica is a continent. The pennisula in question has seen warming but it is a very minute section of the entire continent. And as had been made very clear ad naseum, localized weather phenomenons neither supports nor negates global warming.

Quote:
Leave it to you to ignore everything that doesn't fit into your model.
It is of course you who attempts to ignore or justify everything to fit your dogma. It is almost a religion with you. Anything that doesn't fit is spun until you can justify to yourself that it does.

Mike
Old 12/21/2006, 12:18 PM
I hug trees, not Bushes

Quote:
The topic of my post was Antartica not global warming. I was pointing out that the information on the Antartic shelf was inaccurate stemming mostly from a hyped story in the media linking the breakup to Global Warming where no link was being claimed by the scientists.
Mike
Scientists aren't claiming a link huh? Where have you been?
Quote:
It is of course you who attempts to ignore or justify everything to fit your dogma. It is almost a religion with you. Anything that doesn't fit is spun until you can justify to yourself that it does.
Mike
There's a very simple reason why the data seems to fit the global warming model. Did you ever stop to think it's because it's...I don't know...true?

Old 12/21/2006, 01:39 PM
Premium Member

Whatever, like I said this a dogma for you. It's like trying to prove the Earth is more than 5000 years old to a Southern Baptist.

I have an open mind. I look at data and put it in the pro and con column. I ask myself these questions:

Is Global Warming real?
Is it bad?
Are we causing it?
Can it be reversed?
What is the cost of reversing it vs the damage it does?
What can I do personally besides worry about it?

The data breaks pretty evenly on both sides, where I end up leaning against is when I get lied to. Then suddenly all data becomes suspect. I also gt a little suspect when the contrary data is reworked until it fits. And like I said before, I hold 3 science degrees and a masters. I know how to read data.

Mike
Old 12/21/2006, 01:55 PM
Premium Member

This is real science. Do you claim that Global Warming theory follows these scientific guidlines?

1. Strength (is the evidence so large that we can easily rule out other factors?)

2. Consistency (have the results been replicated by different researchers and under different conditions?)

3. Specificity (is the evidence associated with a very specific cause as opposed to a wide range of causes?)

4. Temporality (did the observed condition precede the problem?)

5. Gradient (are increasing levels associated with increasing temps?)

6. Plausibility (is there a credible scientific mechanism that can explain the association?)

7. Coherence (is the association consistent with the natural history.)

8. Experimental evidence (does a physical intervention show results consistent with the association?)

9. Analogy (is there a similar result that we can draw a relationship to?)
Old 12/21/2006, 02:15 PM
I hug trees, not Bushes

Quote:
Whatever, like I said this a dogma for you. It's like trying to prove the Earth is more than 5000 years old to a Southern Baptist.

I have an open mind. I look at data and put it in the pro and con column. I ask myself these questions:

Is Global Warming real?
Is it bad?
Are we causing it?
Can it be reversed?
What is the cost of reversing it vs the damage it does?
What can I do personally besides worry about it?

The data breaks pretty evenly on both sides, where I end up leaning against is when I get lied to. Then suddenly all data becomes suspect. I also gt a little suspect when the contrary data is reworked until it fits. And like I said before, I hold 3 science degrees and a masters. I know how to read data.

Mike
I ask those questions too, I just some up with different answers. And no, the data doesn't break evenly on both sides. We've played that game before, and all the "data" you get is from right wing think tanks that don't do research, it's simply spin and doubt cast on real scientists. As far as you having 3 degrees is concerned, so what? All that education, yet clueless concerning ecology.

Old 12/21/2006, 03:03 PM
Premium Member

Of course data is going to lean your way if you discount all opposing data by contributing it to "right wing think tanks". I sited science and nature magazine this time and you ignored that. All of my other post had links to nasa and other various scientific organizations. Whenever I do read right wing organizations I follow their links to the source. I never take their word for it.

You make comments like John Daly is Dubious at best. I don't know anything about the guy. So once I read your post I looked him up. Where do you get the impression that he is dubious? Do you have some information or site you can send me too or do you just not like what he says?

Mike
Old 12/21/2006, 04:06 PM
10 & Over Club

Gentleman,

We seem to be starting to head down that slippery path of the argument going from arguing the point to getting personal, and we all know what happens then. So perhaps it's a good idea to step back from the keyboards for a bit

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 12/21/2006, 11:29 PM
I hug trees, not Bushes

Hi Bill. Yeah, time to step back for a bit. No hard feelings Mike, here's a good ol' eHug for ya.
Merry Christmas, happy holidays, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Festivus, or whatever label of celebration you choose. Personally, I'm just glad the winter solstice is here, I need more sunlight.

Old 12/22/2006, 11:59 AM
Premium Member

Bill, You mistook the tenor of my post. I feel no anger or aggrevation. I enjoy a good back and forth with Hippy. And I was trying not to get into the merits of Global Warming. I believe the Global Warming debate breaks people into two camps. Those that believe the Global Warming theory and those that aren't sure yet. Those that believe absolutely that there is no possibility of Global Warming are, to be kind, uninformed.

The only reason I broke in to this debate at all was to be informative. A poster was concerned that melting polar ice was going to flood coastal areas. I was merely pointing out that this wasn't happening. This does not reflect on the validity of Global Warming as I pointed out. It only informs of the weather pattern on the continent of Antartica. Just as occasion floods and droughts here in the US do not negate or support the theory.

I believe if someone is going to be an activist or "warrior" for a cause, they need to have a complete understanding of what they are fighting for. Hippie of course seems well informed, but other tend to parrot what they've heard form a sensational media or a friend of a friend.

Last year after the devestating hurricanes I remember one of the first interviews on TV where they talked to a scientist at the national hurricane center. They asked if the hurricanes were a result of Global Warming. He stated quite clearly, no. They were a cyclical event that were easily predicted. He showed graphs of previous events to illustrate his point. Following that event, I heard numerous claims by scientists outside the hurricane field, activists, and celebrities using the hurricanes to site the dangers of global warming. Many of them claimed that this year would even be more devestating. Of course this year we had none.

My point is, before someone worries themselves into a thrombo, get a clear understanding of what you're talking about. Do not accept things because the great George Clooney or Bill Maher said it. Me and Hippie may disagree on alot of things, but I give him credit for one thing. He never sites Fox news or Rosie O'Donnell as one of his sources.

ok, I'm done

Mike
Old 12/24/2006, 02:48 AM
Registered Member

Could both of you two tell me what your opinion is of this is.

Thanx
Anton
Old 01/17/2007, 01:57 AM
Registered Member

ask yourselves this:

in the absence of certainty, doesn't it make sense to choose the path that is safest? In other words...it can't hurt to reduce greenhouse emissions etc. if we are wrong, but it can hurt if we ignore the possibility of climate change, and it turns out to be real. So the only smart path is the safe one regardless of outcome.

and, doesn't it make sense to let the best scientific minds on the planet figure out the predominant theory, ajd not a bunch of aquarium nerds like us? The best minds in the worldwide scientific community have declared climate chang eot be a plausable risk, so who are we to question them from our couches? Lets leave the climate science to the actual climatologists at Harvard and Cornell.

At least this is a welcome topic here at RC, and it's nice to see responsible reefkeeping get its own forum. TRT is another story unfortunately.
Old 01/17/2007, 08:03 AM
Registered Member

"So the only smart path is the safe one regardless of outcome."

So show me a "safe" way to reduce o2 emissions by 75% in 10 years. Show me the plan and lets see how many jobs are lost and how many companys close. But before you do that, show me the proof that man is causing global warming. I am educated enough to know the difference in a decision made by voting and one that is based on data. Why don't we need a consensus on the theory of gravity?
Old 01/17/2007, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

well I think you completely missed the point, and judging by that response we're not going to get anywhere, but I'll try once more.

1) The potential cost of being wrong is much greater than the potential cost of being right.

2) Leave the real climate science to the real climatologists....don't be naive enough to believe some fish geeks on their computers have the answers that the best minds in the worldwide scientific community missed.

This blog cites lots of articles and studies on climate change and coral reefs. use the search feature.

www.reeflabs.com
Old 01/17/2007, 04:28 PM
I hug trees, not Bushes

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefBuddha
Leave the real climate science to the real climatologists....don't be naive enough to believe some fish geeks on their computers have the answers that the best minds in the worldwide scientific community missed.
I don't agree with this statement. Why shouldn't we discuss GW? Why blindly follow? Why be sheeple? It's always good to discuss issues like GW because it leads to the general public having better understanding, and normal people have to do something about the problem, not simply rely on ivory tower researchers.

Old 01/17/2007, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

discussion is fine. Independent thought and critical analysis is good. In fact its what science is about....but keep things in perspective....nobody here is a climatologist from Cornell. We can guess, we can speculate, we can imagine, but we're not trained to even try and make actual judgments based on anything. Professional climatologists are qualified, not reefgeeks, lol. What makes you think any of the armchair scientists here know anything that the entire worldwide scientific community missed?

It's just plain naive to think we know more than the best scientific minds across the globe over the past 40 years...and the global scientific community in climate science have stated the predominant theory....so i don't know what you mean by 'blindly' following, if we're listening to the best minds on the subject.

re: the 'ivory tower' generalization - casual stereotyping and over-generalizations like this tend to be a big indicator of perspective, or a lack thereof, and can only bog down effective debate, imo.

Last edited by ReefBuddha; 01/17/2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01/17/2007, 06:36 PM
I hug trees, not Bushes

So, I suppose researchers should simply stop publishing their work in popular publications? I mean, what's the point, none of the readers have climatology degrees from Cornell. And 'blindly' following means going along with an idea without understanding the idea. So yes, join the herd by all means, but leave me out of your humble apathy movement, 'buddha'.

Excuse me if I sound harsh, but you pushed my buttons by jumping in and basically telling me and everyone else that we're stupid and that we should just listen to our 'betters'.

Old 01/17/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

stop publishing? I'm sorry but I'm not following your logic. In fact the open publication of data allows the scientific community the opportunity for critical analysis. Your responses are steeped in sarcasm and are making less and less sense to me unfortunately.

Compared to professional climatologists, YES, we're all relatively 'stupid' here on that subject. I don't see why that's a problem. But I gotta move on. I bid you all good day.

new scientist site .

* Wikipedia Entry
*he debate Behind Global Warming
* end of the debate
* All about climate change
* Climate science by Climate Scientists

plenty more too..

Last edited by ReefBuddha; 01/17/2007 at 07:01 PM.