Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/28/2006, 07:58 AM
Abi-Normal

I know it is good for the fish.....

but will it kill my lawn? I am tearing down the tank this weekend, almost everything alive is out of it, then the waters got to go. I was thinking about pumping it out on my lawn. will the salt water kill it? I am pretty sure it will, but I wanted to ask anyway.
Old 04/28/2006, 10:29 AM
J. SUPERSONIC

yes it will.. dump it on ur weeds or something.. or on the driveway
Old 05/01/2006, 03:09 PM
a.k.a. "Keg Girl"

Why not down the sink? Do you have a sewer drain near your house you could dump it into?

**New avatar: me and the Philly Phanatic**
Old 05/03/2006, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

Not only will it kill your grass, it will take a long time before anything will grow back. The salt will remain in the top layers of your soil for quite some time before finally seeping low enough into the ground for grass to grow.

Sorry kids, daddy spent your college fund. But hey, at least the tank looks cool!
Old 05/04/2006, 06:57 AM
Abi-Normal

I used a garden house to run it out to the street.
Old 05/06/2006, 08:12 PM
Old Man

You really shouldnt do that either most street drains lead to rivers or other untreated water and as a result all your salt got dumped into the river and salt buildup in the nations rivers and resulting farmland is bad run it down the domestic drains next time please.
Old 05/08/2006, 09:05 AM
Abi-Normal

I'll bet you yell when the salt trucks arent out after a good freezeing rain too.
Old 05/08/2006, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

LOL That was a good one!!!!!! You read my mind Bigevill.

As for the water, I pour it around my brick chips and border of my driveway or any place I don't want grass or weeds. Please if anyone doesn't like what I did please don't respond. I'm not into arguing.
Old 05/09/2006, 01:45 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scchase
You really shouldnt do that either most street drains lead to rivers or other untreated water and as a result all your salt got dumped into the river and salt buildup in the nations rivers and resulting farmland is bad run it down the domestic drains next time please.
I doubt that any waste treatment plant has the ability to remove the salt from the water. So, even if you do dump your water down the drain, the salt will end up being dump into the rivers.

(Note: removing salt from the water is a rather expensive process. This is why California takes so much water from the Colorado river rather then just getting their water from the ocean.)

Greg
Old 05/18/2006, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Considering people wash their cars in the driveway with soap, use pesticides on their lawns and all other types of chemical run off into the street drains, the last thing you have to worry about is salt getting into a river.
Old 05/19/2006, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

I just dump mine into the storm drain.
Old 05/23/2006, 08:53 PM
Moved out

I leave my water change water in buckets on my front porch to evaporate in the sun for 6 mos. After ALL the water has evaporated I then scrape all the salt residue into a container I stole for radioactive waste. Once that fills I will throw it in the back of my truck and drive from Indy to New Mexico and bribe the operators to put my salt next to the waste from the nuclear reactors. I think I'm very considerate of our environment
Old 05/24/2006, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

Or you could just leave the water in abucket (or 55 gallon rubbermaid) and let the water evaporate off..... then dispose of the salt/proteins/muck/etc.
Old 05/24/2006, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

oops, should have read further.
Old 05/25/2006, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

evaporation would take too long
Old 05/25/2006, 10:19 PM
Premium Member

After the Romans destroyed Carthage they sowed the fields with salt so it would never grow food again. Not exactly miracle grow.
Old 05/26/2006, 07:55 AM
Registered Member

Not in Florida, but I guess he is in Chicago. Warm, windy summer day??
Old 05/26/2006, 10:55 AM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

If you have St. Augustine grass it will not hurt it as long as it is kinda spread out. St. Augustine Grows well around ocean and bay spray areas. I actually have a big green spot in my backyard where I dump my change water and skimmer cup.
Old 05/26/2006, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

that may be more from the skimmer poo than from the salt water. But you ae correct about St. Augustine.
Old 05/30/2006, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

Wow saltwater for St. Augustine, It took me 2 years to get this st. aug sod/crap to grow using regular water. Jay will you be my FWC buddy I just got out of the military and was considering applying...serious about applying not really about the buddy...unless you want a buddy..hahahaha..
Old 06/03/2006, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

I can't image a few aquariumists (is that a word?) will hurt an ecosystem by dumping salt water. Salt trucks can definately do damage though. Think of all that salt getting dumped into streams year after year. There has to be consaquences from it.

I'ld rather be in Daytona!

Avatar: Photo taken with model Asia Williams posing on my car.