Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/30/2004, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

Question reef additives

I bought a new nano reef and I was wondering what the essential additives I need. I have reef trace and calcium so far.
Old 11/30/2004, 08:25 PM
RC Staff
American

Sean,
I follow one simple rule when it comes to adding things to my tank, and it's even more important in a small tank.........
Do NOT add anything that you have not tested for and found the level to be low. Even good things become bad when the concentration is too high, and that goes for Calcium the same as it does for Copper.
FWIW, the only thing I add to my tank is Kalkwasser and water changes.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 12/13/2004, 06:23 AM
Premium Member

I agree with the above statement, especially in a nano, would not take much to throw the tank out of balance....when I first started into reef's I worked at a LFS and had access to all the various different additives at a great discount so I used alot of them...now, after knowing better I use none of them, but only my calcium reactor and my I know my tank is just as well if not better then when I was adding all the chemicals....and water changes of course with a good salt will have most of the additives in it......the only things I would dose would be something to keep the calcium and alk up to par if your tank can not on its own...B-Ionic's worked great for me prior to my reactor..

DaveC
Old 01/01/2005, 03:16 AM
Registered Member

ive never dosed anything not even kalk or calcium. i run a 70 g reef and just do a 60 liter natural sea water change ever week an top off with ro. must be the most low maintanence reef possible but it still looks awesome