Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/08/2004, 01:24 PM
Go Sooners!

Yes another Petco thread.....

So the wife and I were in Deathco...er um....Petco the other day just browsing. Of course we walked over to the saltwater fish. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I think their sale tanks are 20 gallons long. Something like that. There was a yellow tang in with two purple tangs . On top of that the purples looked blue with torn fins and the yellow's top fins were shredded. There were various dead fish in all their tanks. I think there were several other people standing next to me and my wife. They couldn't believe it either. The guy that worked in there was scooping another dead yellow tang out of the tank. After that he proceeded to pour Melafix I think into their sump because all their tanks are connected. Each tank had various inverts like serpent stars, snails, and hermit crabs. One customer asked him a question about a tomato clown and he didn't even know which fish the customer was referring to.
After seeing all this we walked out and my wife was pi**ed. She was ready to write a letter to the Petco CEO. Bottom line.....if you're going to carry saltwater, do it right, learn about it in full , train your staff. These people have no right selling saltwater. Just wanted to share that with you all.
Old 09/09/2004, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

I completly agree!!!The petco where I live is just as bad...The fish are either dead or close to it!They keep fish together that have no business being in the same tanks together.Dont even get me started on the knowledge the staff has on Saltwater!!! I get sick to my stomach everytime I walk in that store.If I didnt need crickets for my bearded dragon-I would never even go there!
Old 09/09/2004, 12:38 PM
forever newbie

With all the bad raps on this board about Petco, why does anybody even go in there? I would rather drive an hr. away just to get cat food than drive 5 mins. down the road to Petco. They will never get my money. If you support 1 part of the store you are supporting all of the store.
Old 09/09/2004, 12:54 PM
REEFAHOLIC!

the only reason I go in there is because they give me empty snail and crab shells when I ask if they have any (for free). I've looked at thier fish a number of times, bought from them once (and only once). they don't know what they are doing and admit it. I even had one employee tell me that I shouldn't buy from them and to go to a different store that actually takes care of their stuff. I'm glad he is working there and is honest about it. he said that he mentions stuff to his boss about it but nothing gets changed.
Old 09/09/2004, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

I know its true that if you support 1 part of the store you support the whole thing.BUT...I dont know what the gas prices are where you live-But where I live it is much more practical to drive 10 mins to petco than an hour somewhere else.just to pick up a couple dozen crickets to feed my lizard.This is a forum on Responsible Reefkeeping.I think anyone on here bashing Petco are just stating that they are not selling saltwater fish and inverts responsibily.IMO anyways.
Old 09/09/2004, 01:04 PM
REEFAHOLIC!

reefgirl7,
I agree, I think we are just saying they don't know how to take care of saltwater creatures. In Longview there are two pet stores, petco or wet pets & critters. I always go to wet pets because they have better saltwater stuff but most people I know prefer petco for everything else. (even their freshwater fish). I understand that buying from them at all supports the entire company but if we stop buying saltwater stuff they'll quit selling it. They won't try to sell something no one wants. I don't see a problem with buying other things there.
Old 09/09/2004, 01:29 PM
Go Sooners!

Right! We bought 1 thing from them 8 months ago, a four striped damsel. Thats when we were just beginning to set up the tank again and before we knew about RC.
Honestly, I feel like getting a job there just to make sure things dont die anymore. But then, if it looks good and people buy it, they will continue to stock. Vicious cycle.
Its a lose lose situation for those poor marine creatures.
I emailed petco today and let them know what the saltwater dept looked like in Howell NJ. CRAP!
Old 09/09/2004, 05:58 PM
Go Sooners!

This was the letter my wife wrote to Petco:

"My husband and I visited your Petco in Howell Twnshp NJ on Labor Day. We have a saltwater tank and decided to see what you had in stock. The tanks were full of algae and there were dead fish all over the place. They had two large purple tangs in the same 20 gallon tank that had beaten each other up to the point of loss of fins and coloration. The employees came over to scoop the fish out and didnt know ANYTHING about keeping marine life. These people should be screened before being hired! THESE POOR ANIMALS ARE SUFFERING! This isn't the first Petco I have seen like this. PLEASE take a step back and take control of your aquatic life. It's a shame to see such beautiful animals be treated so poorly. Be what your motto is, care about what goes on in your store and how the future pets are treated. Death or unkept living conditions isn't an option for any animal that is being sold in your store. Either stop carring salt water or hire QUALIFIED EMPLOYEES to tend to there delicate needs. They feel just like the rest of the animals being sold, so why should they be treated unkindly? Take a look for yourself, it's a sad sad sight."

I just checked the email and we got a response from the Customer Relations Coordinator from Petco. This was their response to my wife's letter:

"Hello Ms. Lee,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at PETCO.

It is obvious that you are a fish enthusiast. I'm sure you know how easily a fish can become sick if they are under any type of stress. Sometimes, stress is unavoidable. However, we are committed to only selling healthy fish to our customers. We monitor our fish during our hourly animal checks to make sure that none are showing signs of stress or sickness. You may even see a sign on a tank that says the fish are under observation. If we see any signs of stress or sickness, we do not sell them until they are healthy. This demonstrates our commitment to you as a customer and our commitment to the well being of fish in our stores.

I have though, forwarded your concerns on to the management in your area for review. We do not consider fish and their quality of life any less important than any other animals in our care.

Sincerely,

Andrea Gilhooly
Customer Relations Coordinator
PETCO Animal Supplies, Inc. "
Old 09/09/2004, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

That is a very good letter that your wife wrote.
But I think they should try alittle harder at their "commitment".Maybe evaluate the stores that are getting compaints.
Old 09/10/2004, 07:18 AM
REEFAHOLIC!

hopefully letters like yours will start to convince them that they should either not carry saltwater fish or change the way they take care of them.
It's good that they do hourly checks but if the people doing the checks don't have a clue what they are looking for it isn't doing any good.
Old 09/10/2004, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

Have you ever gone to the petco in Toms River? ITs the same way. At least two dead fish in every tank!! I would never buy anything from there!! IT's horrible!
Old 09/10/2004, 08:18 AM
REEFAHOLIC!

I actually went into the pet store (wet pets and critters) the other weekend and was looking at their tanks and was extremely suprized. Not one fish that looked sick or stressed at all! no dead fish! Normally this store is really good but WOW! They had so many beautiful fish that were all VERY healthy and taken care of. I felt like taking pictures and sending them to petco with a note saying this is what tanks are supposed to look like.
Old 09/10/2004, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

they say they put it as observation?..
other tanks use same sump system..it all connected..
Old 09/10/2004, 02:00 PM
Go Sooners!

Yeah we have been in the one in Toms River. They referred to the one Regal Tang they had as Dory. Didn't even know its common name or any of it's requirements.
Old 09/11/2004, 01:50 AM
Comme un soleil ensorcelé

I have only been into one PetCo, so I won't complain, although I have heard all of the horror stories. What's really sad though, is when you walk into a very nice petstore, with very nice livestock, and great setups to accomodate them....but the employees will still sell a fish along with the tank,dechlorinator, and bag of salt on the spot.
Old 09/11/2004, 05:04 AM
Registered Member

The one in Bangor had the same dead fish in it 24 hours later how is that checking every hour !! BIG BIG JOKES !
Old 09/11/2004, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

I have visited more then one, The one Where I lived was actually nice, with good looking tanks, the one near where I live now is the same, , I visited 1 in Portland Or, that looked like they forgot how to take care of the fish, I didn't buy anything from them except dry goods, I mean hey who can beat no taxes, There is another place I go to down there for anything I might need in the fish department while I am down in that area...
I just bought a Yellow Eye Tang, and 2 Bi-color Blennies from the one near me( they where the only place open, and I didn't have time to sit ant wait) they are good fish, no signs of stress, made the hour drive no problem, matter of fact all the fish I have bought so far have come from Petco.... So I guess it's how much the individual store cares...
Old 09/11/2004, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

The petco wher i live ( springfield,VA) is extremely wretched. The was a tank full of clarkii clowns. I mean full! The tank was probably 20 long and had about 40 clarkiis in it. The other 20 or so corpses on the bottom were being eaten by the other clarkiis. I was very sad to see. But the other day I went in there and they had no saltwater. I was like WAH? Did they finally stop killing fish? I was wrong. Some employee pour way to much ph buffer in the sump and of course pickled everything. It was too much of a sight to see so I started going to petsmart for crickets. Siders
Old 09/12/2004, 05:34 AM
Registered Member

VERY SAD !
Old 09/14/2004, 07:44 AM
Moved On

You know I totally agree with what is being said and I thought that I would try and work at one to try and save the fish, however upon interviewing I hit a wall with them on the salary. They were quabaling over me wanting $9-$10 an hour in the Detroit area for full time hours. Despite the fact that I had worked at a lfs for 2 years before and have kept various tanks in the past, and demonstrated a competent knowledge of most aquaria. They wanted to give my $7.50!!! That is so incredibly low that it is no wonder they cant get competent people!! They are freaking out of their minds, who can work full time and live unless they are living at home. I mean maybe if you lived in say the ozarks or somewhere where the cost of living was incredibly low, but I bet even there this would not be enough!

Anyway just another insight into why they have so many problems with their livestock.
Old 09/14/2004, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

well fishy u will find a place that will pay u 12 bucks per hour min !!

u deserve it ! even in the back woods of Maine here they pay a good worker that !
Old 09/15/2004, 01:12 AM
Registered Member

I've visited several petco's in the area of Boston, and there are actually some employees who know a little about saltwater. One guy even raises his own freshwater fish. There's still room for alaot of improvement (for example one employee commented on why they still brought in flame scallops when she knew nobody could possibly keep them)

My first fish (a clown,still in my tank) was from Petco. Unfortunately I forget if he was a tank raised ORA clown or from the wild.

Not sure how I feel about Petco, but I do not really buy anything from them other than occasional cat supplies. If I buy a fish, I'd rather find one from a LFS I trust and preferably quarantines (unfortunately a rare practice as well)... or get it from Liveaquaria. Their guarantee policy can't be beat and I received a bicolor angel from them a long time ago, which they said was net caught and must be true, because he survived two days in fedex, and pulled through and is the coolest fish ever
Old 09/17/2004, 08:10 AM
Registered Member

I see you guys really like where i work (LOL) Thought i would just pipe in and stick my neck out for a little friendly cutting from the reef central bunch.

I work in a petco and i have a pretty good knowledge of fish...why do i work at one? because of the location, the people and the benefits.

Would anyone here like to ask any questions? I am a pion in this company by choice, having done the management aspect I enjoy purely being a person who sells fish and reptiles and a few things for other animals here and there.

I AM NOT praising them, but they are starting to get a grip on the animal care problems this company has struggled with for a long time, and the training for their staff is starting to become a priority. The problem lacks with the individuals hired, they have to be self made enthusiasts and if you get the regular joe shmoe in for a job and a paycheck, the fish and animals suffer.

It is truely a hobbiest job...I love it. My tanks are scrubbed daily, my fish are fed, my water changes are done, medications are used in a resposible way (not overdosed) and we have two tanks off the main system set up for inverts of various kinds.
I think they are still living old school in their choices of livestock, we employees don't always have control over that, but at least I try to educate people. YOU WILL NOT SEE ME SELL A SETUP AND FISH ON THE SAME DAY... no matter how much money you flash at me, and the kicker is, my boss will stand behind me in that.

Now before your fangs start showing let me also explain I am not the self proclamed savior that many pet store employees clam to be, i am simply a humble hobbiest, who enjoys fish and eat breath and sleep them seven days a week, I spend numerous hours with my own tanks at home, and work full time.

I try to do the best job possible for my fish at work, by monitoring water quality, making sure peace is kept with all those fish that are on display (you won't see me stick a bunch of pretty purple tangs in one tank)

All the clowns are from ORA....and the dotty's and soon other fish will be coming from a company that claims 100% net caught fish...
ITs a START...changes happen slow at big chains, and I never claim to be better or even equal to a nice fish store, why? Because if we were better or equal, those treasured, and very precious to me small privately owned hobby shops would be closed forever...and that would be a shame.

It is a big store, with many bad branches, but the more you voice your opinions (like calling the hotline's on the tanks themselves and reporting stuff) the better its going to get.

BY company standard, in our whole fish departement, the only acceptable (and they don't accept it when they see it) amount of dead fish INCLUDING feeder tanks is TWO....more and we're toast...please, report what you see.

I won't defend them any more, but AT LEAST i am involved, and I will say in the ten years I have been working in the pet industry (for small and large stores alike) I STRONGLY prefer a large central system than individual tanks...its more stable, MUCH more stable.

OK, fire away, i can take it...most people on this board don't seem that friendly anyway.
Old 09/17/2004, 11:36 AM
Moved On

Valexia

You are a valuable asset to Petco! I just hope they are treating you like it!
Thanks for your insiders input!
Old 09/17/2004, 11:52 AM
I yam what I yam

Valexia, good luck in your endeavors. Sounds like your doing the right thing and so is your store. Now if we can just figure out how to pas that along to the other stores. I did stop by a petco here locally the otyher day because my regular LFS buddy told me that they were selling tanks for 35 bucks. Went by and sure enough, all of their display tanks were out on a pallet w/ a sign saying 35 bucks. I went in and saw that they are completely redoing their fish setup. I don't know what they are putting in but I hope they are updating it as well. At least it looks like they are trying to make a change at this store as well. I talked to one of the managers there and he said that all of the stores should be upgrading their systems in the future. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Let's hope it's true.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?