Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/23/2006, 12:34 AM
Real Cool Guy

Starting a 240 Gal Cube Tank

Well after reading and envying over all the big tanks I decided to go with a cube tank to be a little different. As soon as I decided on the size 48" l x 48" w x 24" t, I've seen numerous other cube tanks and realized I'm not so different I'm hoping to have something like sonofgaladriel's setup. If I had the extra money he's the guy I would of had built the stand and canopy. So needless to say I will be trying my hardest to copy his design. I had a local reefer named Keith Jackson make my stand out of steel and he does excellent work. He built it in a day and delivered it to the powdercoaters for me. I can't tell you how impressed I was and what a good deal it ended up being for me. It was made out of 2" square steel and I had it powdercoated gloss black. I will skin it soon hopefully. Let me also add driving home with a 48" x 48" x 36" steel stand strapped to the top of my trooper was a lot of fun... I am also using some of weatherson's light box design for my lights. I have 4 - PFO 250 DE pendents running with Icecap ballasts and Phoenix 14K Lights. I plan on mounting them to the ceiling above the tank with some type of pulley to pull them up and out of the way. The middle part between the pendents will have an alluminum sheet where I will mount the ballasts. The tank was supposed to be done today but was pushed back until next wednesday. It is being built by Tenecor and being a local AZ customer the price was the best I got buy quite a bit. It will be all 3/4 acrylic with a 1/4 black piece laminated to the rear. I will be running 2 closed loop systems each using OceansMotions 4 way's, 4 thru the top corners and 4 up thru the bottom of the tank. The 2 return lines will be using 2 wavy seas for a little more random current. I had planned on using Sequence Darts for the 2 closed loop systems and a Baracuda for the return line but might flip flop and use the dart for the return instead. Anyway here are a few pictures of what I have done so far.

Old 02/23/2006, 08:39 AM
I need a bigger tank!

Good choice! You'll love this tank. That is a great looking stand. I'd be happy to help out with your set up in any way.
Old 02/23/2006, 09:49 AM
reef aquarium god

great choice...i will be startig my 4x4x30 thread in about 2-3 months. im still getting quotes on the tank and battling the acrylic vs glass debate.

funny, i have drawn out my closed loop set return locations and we picked the same spots and same pumps..im sure s.o.g influenced you as he has me. i hate to get rid of my 8x3x2, but im really looking forward to the cube!

good luck and take lots of pics....i always need new ideas!
Old 02/23/2006, 10:48 AM
Real Cool Guy

Thanks guys, I need to get my order in to savko for all the plumbing parts I need. I will be getting my GEO Calcium Reactor on Friday. I'm still looking into controllers but haven't decided on which one to go with.
Old 02/24/2006, 08:58 PM
Real Cool Guy

Well I got the top and bottom pieces of wood cut today and I'm starting to seal and paint them. I ended up using 3/4 pine plywood and I also bought a piece of 5/8" thick styrofoam. I do have a question on whether I need to bolt the wood to the steel frame or not. A few people told me there was no need because once the tank is on with all the water and rock that it's not going to move. Also the wood skin will be attached to the top and bottom pieces with screws. Any comments or suggestions? I took a picture of the stand next to my motorcycle for size reference, it's a Yamaha Road Star 1600 and it's not a small bike.
I ordered most of my plumbing parts today from savko so they should be here on Thursday, then the fun begins...

And a drawing of the layout of the holes. The overflow will be a big trapezoid shape to save a little bit of space. I didn't have the room to do the external overflow this time.

Old 03/03/2006, 12:12 AM
Real Cool Guy

The tank is ready to be picked up so hopefully this weekend I will be setting up the plumbing. I received my order from savko this morning and already realize I forgot a ton of parts. At least I have all the bulkheads and ball valves. I'm still not sure how I'm going to get the tank home, if nothing else I guess I'll have it delivered. I'll be posting lots of pictures this weekend.
Old 03/03/2006, 03:02 AM
Ultra Premium Member

Those look like IceCap pendants, they ROCK, they're incredibly bright, the reflector inside is just perfect you'll be happy two of those make my office seem like a tanning salon
Old 03/03/2006, 10:14 AM
unorthodox reefer

Nice tank I am setting up something similar as well, I'll be watching this thread closely
Old 03/03/2006, 05:25 PM
Real Cool Guy

They are actually the PFO Mini's and they are ungodly bright!
Old 03/03/2006, 10:52 PM
Premium Member

Very nice. The big tanks are fun to wacth grow. Good luck!
Do be do be do. -- Sinatra
Old 03/04/2006, 08:15 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Very nice stand, can't wait to see the tank!
Old 03/04/2006, 11:41 PM
Real Cool Guy

Well I got my tank on friday afternoon and after realizing it wouldn't fit into my vehicle I had to rent a U-haul cargo van to get it home. I had a couple of neighbors give me a hand unloading it and right now it's sitting in my garage. I have some issues with the seams and overall glue job, very sloppy and rushed looking. Lots of bubbles on the top seams and other areas. I'm waiting to see what happens on monday before I say anything more... The tank size itself is really cool, I wished I could of went to 30" high but even being 6'3" I would be using a ladder.
I just got a new refractometer from premium aquatics on friday and it is really cool, it's the reef central special $29.99 + shipping and it is heavy duty aluminum and comes in a little portable plastic box. And I also ordered a ReefKeeper2 and am looking forward to receiving it. Next step will be getting some more live rock or Reef Ceramic island pieces, not sure which way I'm going to go yet. I would like to make a minimal impact reef system if possible. Using all aquacultured coral (at least 2nd generation pieces). The one big problem with that is the fish, there are only a select group that are successfully breed in captivity. I love to scuba dive and wherever I go the dive guide always tell me how the aquarium fish trade is hurting the numbers around a lot of the reefs. So feeling a little guilty I want to make sure and be as eco friendly as possible (damm hippie )
Old 03/05/2006, 08:06 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

You like the ReefKeeper, I have the base modle on my 75 and like it very much. I am doing a 56" x 36" x 32 h almost cube display so Iam watching your progress with great interest. Hope the issues with the tannk work out OK.
Old 03/05/2006, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

Nice Roadstar.
Old 03/06/2006, 11:26 AM
Real Cool Guy

Thanks! I've done lots of mods to it also
Old 03/06/2006, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

Yeah that's where reefs and motorcycles are the same. They are never done. The tank/bike is just a downpayment on all the accessories.
Old 03/06/2006, 07:26 PM
GO BEARS!!

Can you PM me the username of the guy who built your stand. I may have some work for him. I'm in need of a stand for a 300g and a 600g. Thanks

Ryan
Old 03/06/2006, 10:12 PM
Real Cool Guy

Surely
Old 03/14/2006, 10:08 PM
Real Cool Guy

Well this thursday the tank will be picked up and rebuilt. After messing around and multiple phone calls it will be redone. I guess whoever the main guy who built their tanks left and they are trying to get a good replacement. So at least 2 more weeks of waiting. I will hold judgement untill it's re-done, but I'm less than pleased with the whole deal right now.

My ReefKeeper 2 should be here tommorow so thats a good thing. At least I can read the manual about 20 times
Old 03/14/2006, 11:02 PM
Real Cool Guy

Just some pictures of the tank, at least it's something to see.. and some of the plumbing parts just waiting to get wet.

Old 03/15/2006, 01:29 AM
Real Cool Guy

Just some more equipment pictures.

The Geo 624 Calcium Reactor. Very nice workmanship! And my 2 Wavy Seas for my 2 return lines.

The 2 - Oceans Motions 4 ways

My Ozone and Phosban Reactor.

And the many pumps. Sequence Barracuda, 2 - Darts and a Gen-X PCX 30 for the chiller return line.
Old 03/15/2006, 09:15 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Bummer about the tank, at least they are going to fix things.

Nice Toyz!
Old 03/15/2006, 09:51 AM
unorthodox reefer

coming along nicely chetm2, good luck with the plumbing, I am assuming all of this won't be under the stand.
Old 03/15/2006, 10:34 AM
Real Cool Guy

Zoos - yes all under the stand. The light rack is also sitting on top of the stand right now so that isn't going under there but everything else will be. The only visible equipment will be the chiller. (hopefully)
Old 03/15/2006, 11:44 AM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Just comin along for the ride!!!!

If you ever need any help just let me know, I'd love to come by & check it out!

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.