Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/15/2007, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

Hmm is this going to be the design? or are you waiting for more feed back before you proceed?
Old 12/15/2007, 05:50 PM
Premium Member

I'm waiting to see how compact I can get the pumps. If I can get them compact enough to be able to do it this way I'll probably stick with this design unless someone says it's impractical or whatever.

It looks like I was wrong again. I read the box to see that it was 1" input and 3/4 output, but reading it again it says 3/4 barbed output, and taking the pieces to Lowes with me it was actually 1/2". So, 1" in, 1/2" out. It looks like the largest dimension of the pump w/ unions and everything will be 7 1/4". So I'll start designing from there. I'm going to mix up some saltwater right now and start trying some venturi's and seeing what the air pull is on this pump. I'll start first w/ the stock impeller and then mesh mod it. It may actually take 4 layers of mesh, but I think I read somewhere where 2 is the point of diminsing return. So, when I get some results I'll post them.

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 12/15/2007, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

I look forward to seeing some interesting test results and picture of the venturi style builds. To see which one is the best.
Old 12/15/2007, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

Well, w/ the venturi basically built like we did on the Resun over the Octo thread, and the standard paddle wheel, it was pulling 5-7 scfm, jumping every once in a while to 10. after mesh modding it w/ 2 layers, it's now pulling 7-9 jumping to 11. These readings are approximate w/ the middle of the ball as the measuring point. It's pretty much milked out a 5g bucket from what I can tell, but of course I can't see more than the surface. I think I'll try the other venturi using a T now.

Old 12/15/2007, 06:49 PM
One Good Friend

At this point why not just simplify it a bit and have the two pump's on this inside so you don't have to worry about leak's. IMO that would be much better. The shelves defeat the purpose of the bubbleplate as well. I do like the design, but would change those two things.

It wouldn't restrict the recirc design at all, max air that way. Oh, and fwiw, 7-9scfh isn't going to max out a 5g, it would take ALOT my 55scfh pump won't even do that.
Old 12/15/2007, 06:50 PM
Premium Member

Well, the T venturi is pulling slightly less, but it looks like if I restrict the flow from 1" to 3/4" before the T (just like any venturi), it'll get a tad bit more, but not really any more than the eblow venturi. I thought this pump would pull a lot more than 10scfm tops. But what do I know. Maybe Luke will chime in here on how to get more out of it.

Old 12/15/2007, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

Luke, which design are you talking about?

Old 12/15/2007, 07:05 PM
One Good Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by FishAreFriends2
Wow some new designs, how big is the sedra could you post a picture to give us a idea? And how do you plan to do the plumbing? I don't think I ever seen tubes like the octopus stuff at my hardware store.

That kind of looks like a robot
It looks like most of the weight will be distributed on the returns while the intake doesn't have to hold any weight. What type or return are you going to do? The normal ones like the octopus or a modified style kind? I also think it would be wise to add some plates in the return section because if you plan to use some media it might sink all the way down and clog the skimmer than you'd get a flood. Something like the octopus plate for the last chamber?
Would adding some baffles in the bubble chamber be a good idea?
Was talking about these design's. The top is better as you don't need the shelves in the reaction chamber like the bottom one. As for a venturi, you want the 1" intake to have a piece in it that goes from 1" to 3/4" down to 1/2" and the 1/2" will go right up to the air injector nearly touching it. Here'a what the insides would look like.

Old 12/15/2007, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
At this point why not just simplify it a bit and have the two pump's on this inside so you don't have to worry about leak's. IMO that would be much better. The shelves defeat the purpose of the bubbleplate as well. I do like the design, but would change those two things.

It wouldn't restrict the recirc design at all, max air that way. Oh, and fwiw, 7-9scfh isn't going to max out a 5g, it would take ALOT my 55scfh pump won't even do that.
Scratch that.... Posted faster than me and my answer was wrong too.
Old 12/15/2007, 07:11 PM
Premium Member

So, stepping this down to 1/2 before the air injector will pull in more than 7-9scfm? My only problem is, if I'm on the bottom of the skimmer with these pumps, the air intake has to be in a threaded 90 elbow, how do I do that then? Do I just step it down before the el?

Old 12/15/2007, 07:39 PM
One Good Friend

You want to use the 1" pvc throughout but right before the injector you just want a real small piece that tapers it down real quick to 1/2" and you want this air injector to be very close to the volute cover. If you put the pump's in the skimmer you wouldn't have any problems doing this.
Old 12/15/2007, 07:46 PM
Premium Member

True.. I haven't thrown it out there yet, but I was playing around w/ the idea of having 2 boxes. 1 that contained the pumps and return plumbing, and the other that would slip down that would be the reaction chamber and bubble plate. This would allow for maintanence on the pumps and total cleaning of the reaction chamber. I'll have to see about doing something like that.

Old 12/15/2007, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

The more and more I think about it and try different ways to build this, it's going to be hard to build w/ both pumps in the skimmer and not be 15"+. And I don't want to be that big. So I think maybe I'll do the Sedra3500 for the recirc in the skimmer, and feed it w/ something else.. possibly a sedra 2500 or genx or something... heck, I might even just buy the venturi that goes on to most of these pumps and put it on the Resun.

Old 12/15/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

I agree so many ideas but there are only so much that can be put into the build. But I still like the big center chamber with the dual exit but how will your new one look like if you use a feeder pump? And for the feeder pump will it be going venturi w/ mesh or just straight venturi like rogue style? Or just normal? well Im'a guess the new fix

probaly wrong it looks odd to me though.
Old 12/15/2007, 09:16 PM
One Good Friend

Or you could save your money, sell your octo and buy the rogue......
Old 12/15/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

yeah you could do that o.o too... but I highly doubt D would, he spent so much on the pumps and what not
Old 12/15/2007, 09:18 PM
One Good Friend

The sketch above will work without the right chamber, or you could make the reaction chamber larger length wise.
Old 12/15/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Its basicly going to look like this than but the pump would be inside?

ok removed the side chamber and since it doesn't have dual side anymore why not just straighten it instead?

thats a pretty simple design not as complex as the other ones though. this is starting to look odd, kind of like a rogue
Eh luke why don't you give some info on the rogue and if you could redesign it what would you do to it? to make it better? It just kind of reminds me of the rogue but a reciric version

Last edited by happyface888; 12/15/2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12/15/2007, 09:43 PM
Premium Member

the only concern I have w/ putting the pump inside the skimmer is actually getting to the pump. What happens if something ever goes wrong w/ the pump, I'd have to build a new skimmer. So accessibility would be nice.

I think I'll keep going on this for a bit. The Rogue's nice, but then I'm stuck w/ just about the same thing I'm having an issue w/ in the beginning stages of this, having a huge pump in the tank.

I think I would mesh mod the feed pump and see if I could get a little more air draw out of it. I still have to go to Lowes again and see if I can get the parts to do the venturi right, like Luke said, by getting the intake down to 1/2" right in front of the air supply.

Old 12/15/2007, 09:44 PM
Premium Member

Also, Luke, as far as uniseals go, once you put the pipe through it, are you pretty much out of luck as far as getting them out, or do they slide in and out w/ some elbow grease?

Old 12/15/2007, 09:45 PM
One Good Friend

Your right! lol, after all that we created a recirc rogue. Well, i do have to say i like the design of the rogue and this skimmer with the right size could be awesome. Now If you really want it to work well your going to have to design what skimmer size you are going to want to use as it, 12" long, 5" deep, 20" tall or what not. If your wanting to make a simple skimmer that is very effective ,use a pump that ll pull some good air, eliminate the inner pump and keep the bubble plate, now you have a nw rogue. Lets decide on demensions and start over at this point.
Old 12/15/2007, 09:47 PM
One Good Friend

Once the uniseal is in, its a B to get out and you risk breaking your skimmer and the seal, so leave em be.
Old 12/15/2007, 10:02 PM
Premium Member

Well, to get a nice even 5x5 reaction chamber, the overall dimension width wise would be 5 3/8 (3/16 acrylic), by 12-13... i'd prefer 12 because sheets come in 12x24 and that'd be easy to work w/. As far as height, the tank height is 18, so I figured the extra few inches wouldn't hurt to have around, so I thought to keep it at 22-24 tall.

Old 12/15/2007, 11:07 PM
One Good Friend

Ok, here's my big question. Why go box when you can get some cheap 6" tubing?
Old 12/15/2007, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

A tube would be less work but how would you design it? I've only seen a few hobs that are actually tubes. If you can make something like this it would be sweet.

This new developed protein-skimmer works with a new principle. The bubble-air-emulsion flows down between an outer and an inner tube. The bubbles rises up in the inner tube and form foam. The turbulent flow between the tubes and the not turbulent flow in the inner tube leads to a very high efficiency at small dimensions.

The protein skimmer can be used for tanks up to 1000 liter.

We deliver the Cyclon AS with the pump Aquabee 2000/1 (2000L/h, 3 Meter , 34 Watt)
The compact dimensions permit a flexible installation:

The Cyclon AS features a carrier, so that it can be fixed to one side of the tank.

Through the pivoted outlet the protein skimmer can be fixed outside the tank or inside the floor-unit-tank.

Dimensions incl. tubes: (BxHxT) ca. (200mm x 385mm x 280mm)

The protein-skimmer is easy to clean, because it can be disassembled in it?Ls components.

Der Cyclon AS is easy to install and to adjust (ball-walve at outlet).

http://www.underwater-shop.com/produ...roducts_id=321