Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/16/2006, 11:09 PM
Premium Member

someone please help a frusterated beginner!

I am still having problems with my anenome. I don't see how it is humanly possible to get that thing to eat! I've seen little pieces collected by it, but have never made it to it's mouth as far as I can tell. I was so determined earlier I physically wiped little pieces as close to the mouth as I could. I still saw no response and within seconds my cleaner shrimp was helping itself to all the food...my clownfish too I think. What should I do? THe things already the color of a "glow in the dark star " people used to stick to their ceilings! Do I have to literally shove food down this things throat or is it eating? I am totally frusterated!
Old 10/16/2006, 11:20 PM
"Old Yeller"

Ok first the bad news. 2 of 100 Anemones survive in home tanks.
Yours sounds bleached and probably doomed... They are a terrible animal for any new tank much less a beginner reef tank

Anemone's should not go in a tank less than a year old (yea some get away with it but the odds are certainly against you)

On to the actual tank

The tank conditions are probably not very stable (and they need stable to be happy), plus you have incredible bioload for a new tank. The blue Tang is completly out of the question even if the tank was 10 years old...(Tang police are going to die)

Get rid of the Tang, find a home for the Anemone and cross your fingers that the rest of the tank can stabilize for a bit.

What are the actual water conditions? (Anemone requires very good water and they are really bad about fouling it)

I am sure this is not what you want to hear but it really is true. Sorry to be the bad guy here
Old 10/16/2006, 11:25 PM
Premium Member

I bought the tank from people who have owned it for a year or so. I've heard the tang will outgrow the tank, but I heard that could be years away. Is that true? We moved the tank from place to place in about an hour. I just added the clownfish and the flame angel myself. But everything else has been there for quite a while I think. The water conditions seem stable. No more traces of ammonia from the move, ph is 8.2, salinity was 1.021 and calcium levels are about 420. Are there other conditions you are referring too? How can I get this thing to eat?
Old 10/16/2006, 11:30 PM
"Old Yeller"

Nitrates and Nitrites are important levels,

the 1.021 is too low IMO, 1.025-1.026 is more to my own liking

The Anemone would have had to be bleached before the move?
Old 10/16/2006, 11:31 PM
"Old Yeller"

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=298642

good starting point
Old 10/16/2006, 11:31 PM
Premium Member

yes it's been that way ever since I saw the tank. I need to call the previous owners again but I believe they may have bought it this way.
Old 10/17/2006, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

also, I might've overread it, but I don't think you specified your type of lighting ... remember, the more intense, (think metal halide) the better also, what kind of anemone is it?
Old 10/17/2006, 01:20 AM
Gold Star Recipient

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamie1210
also, I might've overread it, but I don't think you specified your type of lighting ... remember, the more intense, (think metal halide) the better also, what kind of anemone is it?
It's a sebae and 4x65 compact fluorescents two days ago:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=950179

ahullsb: Did you get new lighting yet? If your tank is too deep those fluorescents may not be able to penetrate far enough to give the anemone the type of light it needs.

By the way exactly what is your alkalinity level?
Did you try feeding it some aqua yums clam flesh or some of the other suggestions made in your previous thread?
Old 10/17/2006, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

i got to in my tank and at first one would not eat i just keep feeding the sucker and it finaly eat on its own my tank was only up for 8 months when i put them in and its been about 2 months and there still kicking. i only been doing this stuff for 10 months and had some trubel but just keep at it. im running a 55 gal now getting ready for a 75 gal in a few months so just stay in there.i have not lost nothing yet knock on wood
Old 10/17/2006, 03:56 AM
Registered Member

If you send me your e mail address I will send you a pdf file which is all about anemones.

I would also recommend you look here http://www.wetwebmedia.com/anemonefdgfaqs.htm