Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/03/2007, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

Crazy Video Of A Cop Choking Some Practicly Inoccent Kids

Check This Out

Hey i think this guy went a little overboard.

He has got a lot more to worry about than some kids riding pieces of wood around
Old 07/03/2007, 04:19 PM
in the bathtub

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."
Old 07/03/2007, 04:22 PM
Team RC Member

It depends. I'd like to know more of the history of what happened. If they were skateboarding on public sidewalks, that can be a problem, in an area where you have, say, senior citizens who can literally be killed by somebody [them or the 'boarder] making a wrong zag---ruin of both lives, if that happens, and it is serious to both sides. A chokehold doesn't look pretty, can be dangerous, and I'd hope there was some prior attempt to engage the 'boarders and get voluntary compliance much, much short of that. I think there's possibly more to be known here. Curiously enough, what I do have trouble with is him leaving a handcuffed person sitting on the sidewalk. You take personal control away from a person and then leave them vulnerable to any nutcase that walks up---that's not my notion of a good thing.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.

Last edited by Sk8r; 07/03/2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07/03/2007, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

Choking a teenage girl not fighting him...classy. I don't think he'd think twice about shooting anyone first and thinking later. He is the only menace in that video

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 07/03/2007, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Its pretty crazy seeing that guy put a chokhold on two people. Especial that girl
Old 07/03/2007, 04:39 PM
in the bathtub

HOT SPRINGS, Ark. - A police officer who appeared to choke a skateboarder in a video posted online has been cleared of any wrongdoing by an internal review board.

Officer Joey Williams stopped a group of skateboarders June 21 on a downtown city sidewalk. Skateboarding is banned in the area.

"This was a minimal force issue," Police Chief Bobby Southard told The Sentinel-Record. "He didn't resort to anything above hand control techniques and handcuffing."

Article

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Old 07/03/2007, 04:40 PM
Grampa Extroardinaire

I think the pigeon is a ham and is looking to be discovered.

Too old for women to care
Old 07/03/2007, 04:55 PM
Flips"R"us...U?

We need professional insight on this matter-we definetly needs UH OH's evaluation on this.

UH Oh where are you?
[O] f
[S] weetness
Old 07/03/2007, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

I will probably get flamed here but I see no wrong with the cops action. He detained the youth for good cause......total disrespect for laws, authority and society. No I do not think skateboards are bad but everything in it's place. I support skate parks. I see everyday where people some old some young that act as if rules are for others, and don't apply to them. If the kids had complied immediately and realized where they were wrong rather then argue about a piece of plywood there (I am guessing) wouldn't have been any arrest or fiasco.
Old 07/03/2007, 05:15 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

"Practically" innocent???? Your choice of words would suggest that you acknowledge their guilt in the matter in the effort to pass judgement on the cop while claiming the "kid" was practically guilty. hmmmmm

There is but one thing left to say.

IBTL.

Last edited by Muttling; 07/03/2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07/03/2007, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

I understand both sides actually. The kids should not be skating on the sidewalks downtown as they could seriously hurt someone walking out of a store (image the 70 year old that gets hit by one of them). Give them another place to play......

The officer did take it too far as he was being publicly humiliated by a group of teenagers and lost his cool. Looked like he was a bit of a control freak that wasn't getting what he wanted. Psyc eval and some couch time could go a long way.

That being said.. IBTL

Beerguy - on snake handling

Jeremy
Old 07/03/2007, 05:32 PM
in the bathtub

Once again.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat Man
HOT SPRINGS, Ark. - A police officer who appeared to choke a skateboarder in a video posted online has been cleared of any wrongdoing by an internal review board.

Officer Joey Williams stopped a group of skateboarders June 21 on a downtown city sidewalk. Skateboarding is banned in the area.

"This was a minimal force issue," Police Chief Bobby Southard told The Sentinel-Record. "He didn't resort to anything above hand control techniques and handcuffing."

Article

Old 07/03/2007, 05:32 PM
sedentaryologist

"We were just riding skateboards" In an area where riding skate boards is illegal. They were just breaking the law.

have you pooped yet? -Nina51
Old 07/03/2007, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

sigh....IBTL

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 07/03/2007, 05:38 PM
sedentaryologist

Quote:
Originally posted by Nykademus
The officer did take it too far as he was being publicly humiliated by a group of teenagers and lost his cool. Looked like he was a bit of a control freak that wasn't getting what he wanted. Psyc eval and some couch time could go a long way.

The law is not open to arguement and your interpretation when you are being given an order by an officer of the law. 1. Dont argue with the police. 2. Show respect for the authority of the law enforcement officers and things go much smoother.

Now those kids will probably be badmouthing the cops for a long time because of this when the kids were in the wrong.

IBTL? I see no reason to lock this, its not political, its not religious, and it speaks to a common problem in todays youth, as well as some that are not so young as well. A general lack of respect for authority and lawfulness. If you break the law, there is a price to pay. I dont feel the officer overreacted at all, those kids dont seem to know how to listen and obey when given a command by a law enforcement officer, Thats something they should have been taught a long time ago. At the same time, kids make stupid mistakes, its normal. Chalk this one up to (hopefully) a lesson learned in respect and humility.

Looked like he was a bit of a control freak that wasn't getting what he wanted.

Control freak, no. Officer of the law with the authority to detain you and question you, and arrest you if you are breaking the law, yes.

Look at what he did to the kid with the camera at the end. He gave him several commands, the kid obeyed, the kid asked questions, the officer responded, the kid obeyed. Nothing happened to him, he wasnt physically restrained beyond the verbal commands of the officer. If the officer had been a 'control freak' or had 'lost his cool' he would have done far more to the kid with the camera. The farthest he had to take it was informing the kid he would be shot with pepperspray if he resisted the cop or didnt obey the commands he was given. I see nothing but professional conduct using only the amount of force that was necessary and showing restraint from use of excessive force there.

have you pooped yet? -Nina51

Last edited by Coral Dilema; 07/03/2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07/03/2007, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

What exactly did the young girl do? That's my concern. Putting a male teen you feel is fighting you in a headlock fine, but a female teen who was obviously not resisting? Power trip in my opinion. No big deal though. I've seen much worse.

Old 07/03/2007, 06:27 PM
Team RC Member

A point of non-order---old schoolteacher here. I've broken up fights between guys and girls, where I had to apply verbal and physical suasion, and the guys generally answered to a measured application of either. Girls, however, tended to be armed, tended to go for eyes or ---ahem!--- and general go into it with every muscle in their bodies, which means they aren't listening to much of anything. One young 'lady,' so to speak, required 2 of us to haul out of it, one of the haulers a guy 6 plus and in good shape. She was still spitting mad, stiff as a poker and trying to cake-knife the other participant, completely oblivious to the fact she was now suspended in mid air. Nope, not on angel dust, just estrogen.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 07/03/2007, 06:32 PM
Crap Under User Name

Yeah, people that think men hopped up on testosterone are scary, need to see a woman hopped up on estrogen!

The little men that live behind my eyes and scream into my brain told me to tell you hi.
Old 07/03/2007, 07:59 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

The cop knew he was being taped, he looked right into the phone or camera at one point. I doubt any thing he did was really out of line with stated procedures. The cop should have just confinscated their boards. Problem solved, no need for paper work or cuffs.

Don't ingnore the policeman, he has a gun and a badge.
Old 07/03/2007, 08:30 PM
Who's your daddy

this probably wasnt there first runin on this issue
Old 07/03/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

Big deal. In LA they shoot you after you are in handcuffs.

I asked my 3 year old daughter who wore man panties and she replied, "Superman!" Think about it.
Old 07/03/2007, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

All that for riding a skateboard? OH MY GOD!!!!! A KID RIDING A SKATEBOARD!!! Small town Hot Springs Arkansas? I agree that there are not enough problems for the police to worry about. Wonder why some people hate cops? Watch it again. I couldn't care less about the badge and guns are easy to come by.
Old 07/03/2007, 08:57 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Wow, Couldn't care less about the badge and gun? That kinda explains the rest of your post.
Old 07/03/2007, 09:03 PM
Here comes the Gators

That cop definately took it too far. Talk about being a control freak.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 07/03/2007, 09:08 PM

If the Cop had been off generating revenue writing traffic tickets... maybe this wouldn't have happened...

KIDDING!... only kidding