Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/11/2007, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

Skimmer base...PVC/acrylic sheet, lexan, plexiglass?

Well I was going to use acrylic for the base of my 8" PVC skimmer and use some weld on 16 adhesive to put them together buy I'm having a hard time finding an acrylic store that doesn't sell in less than 4'x8'. Of course there is always mcmaster.com but I think I might try some lexan or plexiglass from a local store, but I had a couple questions. Will weld on 16 adhere the lexan/plexiglass to pvc? And also..does this sound completely whack...or doesn't really matter. I just want to finish the skimmer Any other ideas are appreciated, and if you have an idea for a collection cup through that in there too.

Thanks,
Clay
Old 12/11/2007, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

I wouldn't bother with Lexan/polycarbonate. Yes, it can work, but more than likely it will be more of a problem than it's worth. PVC can work fine, 16 will stick acrylic to PVC but I wouldn't exactly call it structural and I personally wouldn't use it, I simply don't treust it long term. Try WO 40 or 42 instead for gluing these plastics together. IMO the best thing is to just use good acrylic if at all possible.

HTH,
James
Old 12/12/2007, 12:05 AM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

or just use sheet pvc and cement.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 12/12/2007, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

Went with the sheet PVC. I appreciate the advice on the acrylics...I just couldn't find a local place with weld on 40. With regards to the attachment of the 8" pipe to the sheet PVC, will PVC cement be enough to fully seal...or will I have to add some other adhesive? While looking for PVC sheet, I found a local place that vends acrylic by the square foot for about 3$ for 1/4 and 3/8". This a good price?
Old 12/12/2007, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

where do you get sheet PVC?
Old 12/12/2007, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

Look up Plastic Fabricators locally and call around. I forgot what else they call it but it sounds like centrite.