Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

lots of plumbing questions!

I recently picked up a tank that's already drilled for a closed loop system, and comes with an internal overflow, but lacks the drilling for a sump. Please keep in mind that I do not have ANY experience with hardware (lol), but I'll be getting someone to do the drilling for me, after doing a ton of research (w/a lot of confusion!)

Here are the specs:

22 gallon tank, will be plumbed into a 20 gallon sump. (I want it to have both the sump, as well as the closed loop thing going)

And here are my questions:

1. I've decided on the EHEIM 1048 pump, which is 158 GPH, which is about 3x the amount of total volume. The tubing (or PVC? which is better?) should be about 1/2" , and so does the bulkhead also need to be about 1/2", with the hole to be drilled 1"?

2. What size should the return hole be? I've found tons of info about the hole for the overflow, but not much about the return ... Where should the return be placed most ideally? I have read that it's best to place it near the top (something about power outages, but I'm still a bit confused as to why)

3. It's only a 22 gallon tank, <30 inches long ... would having 2 returns be unnecessary? (I kinda like how it looks more symmetric lol)

Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 01/06/2008, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

go jamie...id like to see that when its up & running...
Old 01/06/2008, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

how much does the pump loose to head pressure...the pump may be rated at 158 gph at 0 feet of head pressure...the higher it has to pump the less water it will move....

the return should be minimum 1" the bigger the bettter incase any critter or anything get into the overflow pipe they are less likely to back it up.

i would run atleast 3/4" pipe if you ever want to up you re flow you wont have to repipe everything..use valves if you want flow control..also run a pipe from the return pump out where you can use it to drain water for water changes...simply close on valve (to tank) open other (to you re bucket) it makes life so much easier.1/2 you drill a 7/8 hole.
get urself some float switches to prevent being a part of the "wet floor club" have it shut off the return pump if water level in aquarium get to high....i know from experience...

i placed my return on one side the over flow on the other...drill a hole at water level (tank) in the return pipe to prevent a back siphon if power goes out.
i think 2 pumps is not as efficient...get a bigger one and run one it will more likely be less wattage
Old 01/06/2008, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

oh and return hole is the size of you re pipe from you re return pump
Old 01/06/2008, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Oh, duh, I totally forgot that I've gotta compensate for the weakened flow when the pump is about 3 feet lower than the tank!

1. In that case, I'm thinking of choosing the Eheim1250, for 317 gph, which apparently requires a 3/4" hose. Can you please tell me how big the hole would need to be drilled for this? (and also, how do you know this?? lol if you could point me to a site that does these calculations, that would be great--so i woudln't have to keep buggin u guys everytime I change my mind!)

More questions about the return (sorry if they seem very obvious--just that I've never done anything like this before, nor have I ever built anything in my life before!)

So you're saying there's no bulkhead needed for the return pump? Also, does the return need to be on level with the lip of the overflow, or does it not matter ... (I'm thinking it DOES lol)
...and I can place the return wherever the heck i want in the tank ...

Thanks again for all your help!!

Jamie
Old 01/07/2008, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

bump before this post gets lost among others
Old 01/07/2008, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

a 3/4 pipe requires a 1 3/8 hole...no calculations i just know this stuff from working with pipe...
measure from where you re pump sits to the top of you re tank to get a semi accurate distance for head pressure loss...if you re using pipe you still loose flow to 90's and 45's....to minimize that you can use flex hose..
i ran my return right into my tank without drilling. a couple of 90 and right into the display. so no you dont need a bulkhead.
i previously said you re return has to be a min of 1 " i meant you re overflow pipe not you re return...you re return pipe is what you re pump requires.
no the return doesnt have to level with overflow, my return is lower than my overflow..all you re doing with a return and overflow is filling and draining. , the return should be on the opposite side of the overflow although it really doesnt matter.
hth