Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 08/22/2006, 12:37 PM

Cool. You got some good shots.
Old 08/22/2006, 01:16 PM
TRC Leader

I just got lucky.

SBC/At&t have been out here for the past week replacing old phone lines with new ones. It requires underground drilling and a backhoe. They did a very nice job not destroying my yard, but today as the guy was loading the backhoe on the flatbed trailer behind his large truck, the vehicles brakes let go and it started rolling down the street while he was still driving the backhoe up the steel ramps. He leaped out of the life-sized Tonka toy and ran up to the vehicle to stop it from rolling out of control.

He was able to miss my vehicle by about 6", but couldn't quite save my neighbor's. When he got the thing stopped, it was diagonally located on the street and in my yard, with our vehicles sandwiching it like an oreo cookie -- if you can imagine an orea with a huge Tonka toy sticking out of one end.

The neighbor isn't answering his door, so I told them to leave a note that said "Dear sir, your wife backed up into our truck and caused some damage. We think she was drinking. Please contact us ASAP..."

They did leave him a note with an apology. It wasn't a disaster, but the bumper is mangled and the back quarter-panel's been rubbed.

Phew!
Old 08/22/2006, 01:22 PM

did ya see it??? Where are the pics? Video???
Old 08/22/2006, 01:24 PM
TRC Leader

I was testing water and missed all the drama. All I have are some apologetic workers, some tire tracks and some gouges in the street.
Old 08/22/2006, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

so where are the test results ??? heeheehee
Old 08/22/2006, 01:35 PM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Marc, can you point me in the right direction for info on taking good pictures under actinics? Mine always completely wash with blue.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 08/22/2006, 02:04 PM
TRC Leader

Enderrea - I posted the test results on the Parameters page on my site. All was pretty good, although nitrate and phosphate seem to be rising somewhat. Time to replace the rowaphos.

dandy7200 - After you take the picture, do you use Photoshop by any chance? You can click on Levels - Automatic and it may clean them right up. If not, you can adjust the levels for Red Green & Blue independently. I think I used the Auto Adjust for mine.
Old 08/22/2006, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

Marc, are you still using Fujifilm FinePix S602?

Great Thread by the way....

Guy
Old 08/22/2006, 03:11 PM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Thanks Marc, yes I use photoshop mainly to resize and auto adjust levels. I'll give the RGB channels a shot.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 08/22/2006, 04:02 PM
TRC Leader

Stidd - Yes, same camera. I like it, so why change, right?

dandy7200 -On my "How I use Photoshop" page, it shows how I adjust levels with screenshots. If you can't find it, let me know. It is located on the left side of the new website layout if you click on "Fotos."
Old 08/22/2006, 04:09 PM

I can't even find the new web site format.
Old 08/22/2006, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

got to http://www.melevsreef.com/tanks.html
Old 08/22/2006, 04:22 PM
TRC Leader

I'm sneaking the new look in from the side, Jonathan. I actually started by working on the Macna section, and it continued from there. Eventually the front page will be modified and it will be easier to come across the newer pages. I've modified about 30 pages so far of the site, and there are many many more.
Old 08/22/2006, 04:27 PM
TRC Leader

Enderrea, what do you think of the new look? Just curious.

I found out one thing that never dawned on me: I'd decided to make the new site 1024 x 768. Well, on the laptop at that resolution, the page had to slide from left to right as well because it didn't fit. I never took into consideration how the right margin is used by the browser for the slider feature. So after making three pretty cool pages and all the macna ones, I found out they didn't fit and I had to redo them all to fit 975 wide. That was annoying, because my artwork had to be remade. I couldn't just resize those header images because it would have made the text look jagged and ugly.

Last night, Amy was asking me about one of my older pages and I went ahead and redid the two pages that document the 14 Day 280g project, which is based upon the first 24 pages of this thread. I found lots of coding errors in those very long pages, which made me wonder how they even worked all this time. The first page that documents Day 1 to Day 7 was over 1000 lines of HTML code. Cleaning that up and reformatting to to match the new site wasn't a quick project. I think it took four hours last night to update two very long pages, but they look great to me.
Old 08/22/2006, 04:30 PM
Will work 4 corals

I like the new look. I have my screen set to 1280 x 1024 and it looked great on mine.

So shoot me!
Old 08/22/2006, 04:41 PM
TRC Leader

That is my screen size too, Gabriel. It looks great on that desktop.

Btw, I've got a large monitor that rivals a freakin' tv set in dimensions. I was looking at some LCD TV's today at Costco. They appear to accept any type of input, looking at all the jacks on the back. I'm thinking about replacing this monitor with a flatscreen. Odds are they'd use less power, and definitely add less heat to my office area. The resolution of the monitors was really strange though. Any thoughts or opinions on what to get and what to avoid? As much time as I spend in front of monitor, it would be nice to get something that will be up to the task and give me back some space.

I'd like to stay at 1280 x 1024 if possible, and I'm using a 20" or 21" monitor right now. (hp p1230)
Old 08/22/2006, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
[B]Stidd - Yes, same camera. I like it, so why change, right?
I used to have a Fuji S7000 (which is the next model after the S602). Earlier this year I upgraded to a Canon 20D and got the 100mm f/2.8 macro lens to go with it.

There is absolutely no comparison in the picture quality (not that yours are bad though).

Having an optical view finder means that you can actually see if a picture is in focus before you take it, and it has a usable aperture range so you can set depth of field (ie blur out the background), and the colours, contrast and sharpness are just so much better.

Not that i'm bashing your picture taking ability at all (your pictures are better than a lot that i've seen that were taken with an SLR), but better gear would make it easier for you to take the pictures, and it would mean even better quality eye candy for us

Rob.
Old 08/22/2006, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

I hate Change!...... I guess i am getting old ......... but i really think it is getting up there. nice job you are doing this alone ? looks better them say ...........Seattle times web page ... Ooops . You are doing a great Job Marc!
Old 08/22/2006, 05:00 PM
TRC Leader

Like I have that kind of money. Dude, I'm a reefer!!!!!! We're known to be broke because we pour our cash into the money pit virtually daily.

I just paid my electric bill yesterday. $500! The next bill is $517. UGH. Winter can't get here fast enough.
Old 08/22/2006, 05:10 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Enderrea
I hate Change!...... I guess i am getting old ......... but i really think it is getting up there. nice job you are doing this alone ? looks better them say ...........Seattle times web page ... Ooops . You are doing a great Job Marc!
When I made the first few pages, I just toiled all night until 7am making pages. However, I had specific ideas in mind that I wasn't able to resolve on my own, and a local member had emailed me a month ago about how I should use CSS for the new look. Since he was so kind in offering me some advice, I decided to ask him for some help with that after studying some CSS Tutorials on the web.

Many years ago, I used to write my own programs in GFA Basic (Go Atari! ) and developed a number of programs for my own BBS that I ran for 7 years. Then about 4 years ago I started learning HTML so I could make my own webpages. Melevsreef just became this entity of its own, constantly growing as I added more content. Current the site holds 1 gig of data that is accessed daily by people around the world.

My point is, looking at Java Script and CSS didn't phase me at all, as it resembles Basic to me. Sure, you have follow the rules and know what options are even actual code, but Steve helped me get things working. We traded quite a few emails over a 48 hour period, and he showed me some very cool stuff.

I'm still holding onto some stuff that he would never approve up, code-wise. He wants me to code everything to CSS, and I've added a couple of extra styles (I guess that is what they are called) to produce the needed results on specific pages like "What is a Sump?" Other code is just simpler for me to use HTML.

I'm not a graphic artist at all, and Photoshop knows way more than I do. I do have a couple of cool ideas for some future themed sections, but don't know if I'll be able to do it or if I'll have to solicit a little help, but there's no rush on that at the moment.

If you notice, the banners I've added feature one to RC as well as our local club. They come up randomly. Another points to a reefing radio show that only comes out when Evan's in the mood. As people are visiting the site, they'll discover these other options more readily, and come log onto RC or join our club if they live nearby. I mean, why wouldn't they?
Old 08/22/2006, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
We're known to be broke because we pour our cash into the money pit virtually daily.
I know that feeling. Photography is my "other" hobby, and decent gear costs a bomb.

The Canon Digital Rebel XT is 370 USD cheaper whilst being similar in spec's to the 20D if that helps at all

If you have a play with an SLR and compare it to the S602, the fuji just feels like a toy in comparison.

But I'm not trying to bankrupt you or anything

Rob.
Old 08/22/2006, 05:22 PM
Will work 4 corals

I have a 17" flat panel LCD monitor from Hyundai. It was only $250 at Fry's and that was a year ago. I saw Costco advertising a 37" LCD flat panel TV for $999. My tv is a 32" LCD FP and I love it! It has imputs that would allow me to use it as a monitor, but I have never tried.

As for SLR cameras I just got a Nikon D100 and I love it. I was able to get the body on Ebay for under $500. Just sell some of your left over Acrylic and you are there!

So shoot me!
Old 08/22/2006, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

Marc I love the new layout of the site. I really don't know how you find time.

It's almost time for Macna!!
Old 08/22/2006, 05:57 PM

Marc,

Site improvements look good. I would suggest toying with the print color a bit. I like the black back but the very white text is too white and tough on the eyes. If you eased off just a little bit to an off-white or even a light beige, it may improve readability. (just a thought)
Old 08/22/2006, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

My god I did it. I just finished reading this thread from the begining. It took about a week and at least a case of beer It wouldnt have taking so long if it wasnt for all the triple post form MICKI

Mark,
I just want to say thanks for all the great info from both this thread and your web site. It has been very entertaining. At times it made me laugh and at times I wanted to cry. Your photos are great and the DIY stuff has been very helpfull. I think you should change your user name from Melev to MacGyver.

When are you going to finish the wood work?

I dont know if I missed it some where but you were talking about making a tank out of a tube what happened with that?

Thanks again.