Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 08/19/2006, 01:57 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

how old to ocellaris have to be?? i just searched through my records. the female had a partner before but he died a long time back. i got a new clown (now the male) and the earliest pic i could find is March 12, 2003!! they have been together for over 3yrs! congrats to them i'm gonna see if i can figure out when i got the female. IIRC she is one of the original fish from 01 when i started.

here they are as babies...not sure if that is the 1st day w/ the male in there or not.

so when they start getting it on?

very cool that you got to view one little fry. too bad you couldn't have gotten video.

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 08/19/2006, 02:08 PM
TRC Leader

Ocellaris don't take nearly as long to get around to breeding. I can't recall the exact time, so I'd better not say anything on that. TippyToeX would know, I bet.
Old 08/19/2006, 02:13 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

i'll have to ask Tippy ToeX then. they have been together quite a darn long time IMO

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 08/19/2006, 03:04 PM
TRC Leader

They have been together for three years, but how long have they been in the current system? They thrive off consistency for breeding (fed at the same times, lights on and off and the same times, no changes in corals/rock placement, etc).

There are some tricks to help them along too if you want to know. They have a host? Or area they clean and call home?
Old 08/19/2006, 03:46 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

look at this you just mention Tippy's name and he comes to you thanks!

been in a 58gal tank since June of 04. i moved it last year to a new apt so in the current place since July of 06 1yr.

feed close the the same time
lights on a timer so off and on at the same time

i changed some corals around when the clams died. moved them and put a couple corals in it's place..since then not much.

tricks?? please share

no host they like my brain pretty well at night though.

they can clean a lot of the lower rock work next to the sand and other spots

thanks for the help tippy. hope to learn more soon
Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 08/19/2006, 03:57 PM
TRC Leader

Tippy's a girl, Eric. You'll hear her voice in Episode 11, whenever that comes out.
Old 08/19/2006, 04:04 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

melev - i knew that. i guess i wasn't thinking when i was typing. you know how it goes most people just say "he" a lot for different things.

Amy - sorry for saying he. i wasn't thinking at the time. don't beat me for it!

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 08/19/2006, 04:06 PM
TRC Leader

Oooh, I know, I know! Don't answer his questions, Amy. Make him beg for it.
Old 08/19/2006, 04:56 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

hey now don't get me into something i don't want to be in :P melev always the trouble maker...looks inocent but isn't

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 08/19/2006, 06:29 PM
TRC Leader

I've gotten use to being called a guy on this site. No beating for you Eric, this time...

Marc on the other hand might need one, but fear he would like it too much.

Alrighty. Them not having an anemone is no problem, the brain is fine (thought I'm sure the brain has other idea about that). Do they display any cleaning? Mouthing the rocks near by, swishing sand away (or cleaning the BB)? Are their rocks near by the brain?

Being moved into a new tank is often like starting all over for some clowns. That might be the reason why they are not getting sexy yet.

Some tips. Feeding them to saturation. Meaning that you feed them once or twice a day until they turn their nose at any that floats by. Fat and happy clowns love to get to the deed.

Having your lights on for 12 hours a day. Longer photo period can stimulate breeding.

Like I said feeding at the same time (high quality foods, all enriched) and having lights go on and off at the same time helps.

Also every now and then you should see about flooding the tank with baby brine shrimp (with the yolk still attached). It is a trick that mimics a plankton bloom in the wild. After such events many fish and corals will spawn. Don't do that often though.
Old 08/19/2006, 07:21 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

maybe i wanted a beating melev needs to beat evan

they don't stick to the brain during the day at all. they are all over the tank during the day. they don't stick close to it. there are rocks w/ in 1" or less of the brain. i have sand so not cleaning the BB. they don't look to be cleaning anything...they just swim about

moving starts it all over ...oh well i guess one more thing to wait for. growing corals not this

fat clowns get sexy?? isn't that opposite of what us people feel when we are fat??

they don't stay close to eachother all the time...that normal??

lights are on 8hr for halides and 12 for the actinics.

very cool tips!! thanks for the help. i'll wait it out and see what happens.

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 08/19/2006, 10:26 PM
Premium Member

Finally caught up to the end of this thread... again. Marc, just want to say thanks for posting this image on page 32:

When I looked closer I recognized the same blotchy pattern of missing or damaged tissue on one of my corals. My first reaction was - it can't be (I haven't introduced ANY new coral in my tank for almost a year). I pulled that colony out of the tank and gave it a lugol's dip. Within a few minutes I saw about 10 or 11 of the AEFWS swimming on the bottom of a plastic container. At least now I know who the bandit is.

My tank been through Red Bugs, faulty heater, negligent relative who was entrusted the care of the tank for a week, and now flat worms - all in all I lost several 1.5-2 year old beautiful acro colonies. Man, I'm ready to turn my reef into a FOWLR tank. Except, this thread gives me a motivation to press on. Your personal dedication to this hobby is nothing short of inspirational. Keep up the great work and thanks.
Old 08/20/2006, 12:29 AM
TRC Leader

Aw man! I'm sorry to hear that. I treated this particular coral in Betadine a week ago, and it is still alive and I don't see any flatworm damage, but it doesn't look anything like it did in the past. I keep staring at it though, mentally encouraging it to regain its former beauty.

There is a thread in the SPS forum about AEFW that I started about two weeks ago, and lots of comments. You may find some useful information in there between the commiserating of one another.
Old 08/20/2006, 01:25 AM
Premium Member

I have 2 Ocellaris clowns also, I purchased them at the same time and got a Heteractis Magnifica Anemone that same day. They were about the same size as each other. After about 4 months or so I could start to see a difference in the two and after another month or so it was clear they had changed sex or chose a sex (I don't recall how they do it). They started laying eggs after 10 months or a year (including the first 4 months) and have been doing it every 14 days since and that's been about a year also.

I consider myself very lucky since I didn't know anything about reefing then, I just new I wanted the clowns and Anemone and not because of Nemo. The LFS sold me a 135w pc light and assured me it was enough to keep the Anemone alive. Things went down hill fast and at that time I had not been to RC and didn't even know that sites like that existed. That's when I found RC, that reminds me. A Google search came up with a thread from RC that had melev and TippyToeX going back and forth on a topic and I combined their profiles for some reason. I thought they were Professional Strippers in Las Vegas, and I thought "Too cool, I got to sign up to this site". Luckily after I came crashing back to earth I was signed up to the best reefing site around.

Anyway to make a short story long, I think I very lucky to have a mated pair of clowns hosting in a Anemone.
Old 08/20/2006, 01:38 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
maybe i wanted a beating melev needs to beat evan

Quote:
fat clowns get sexy?? isn't that opposite of what us people feel when we are fat??
Well maybe fat isn't the right word, but replete. They feel best with a constant supply of food to give them the body weight/mass needed for breeding. It's a lot of work for those two.

Quote:
they don't stay close to each other all the time...that normal??
Not really a good sign. Have they been that way all of the 3 years they have been together? Time will tell. Maybe at the tank matures and there is less and less change in their environment that will trigger their need to nest.

Cprowler- Thats too cool!
Old 08/20/2006, 02:05 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Marc, are you planning any kind of measures to attack teh AEFW problem?

And I can't believe this thread is going to split again! Five months for this installment is pretty conservative though.

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump (fuge and grow-out).
Old 08/20/2006, 02:08 AM
TRC Leader

Well, for now I'm taking my time. I don't see the need to panic yet, and the one coral that was infested has been treated. I just want to have a good plan of action before I start removing 25 acropora sp. from the reef.
Old 08/21/2006, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

Hey marc,
I am looking to make my first sump, i hope the weldon 4 is at home when i get there............ been over a week baaah should of just waited and gone and got it my self, damn #$@-X
for a total Volume of about 30 gallons what size Acrylic do you suggest i use ? this will be for an 80 gallon tank.
Old 08/21/2006, 05:54 PM
TRC Leader

I'd use 1/4" AcryLite FF (extruded) for the sump. You'll need a needle tip appicator too. The rest of the information about how to build it is on my site. Are you going to make the top flange as well?
Old 08/21/2006, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

luckly, i work for a lab, so i can get a needle , I do not have a router, so i will use strips like i have seen on some of your earlier sumps. my wife is loosing the dinning room table ... and doesn't know it yet
Old 08/21/2006, 07:01 PM
TRC Leader

Uh oh. This is how it all begins.

The applicator bottle really is easier, but if you prefer a syringe then good luck. It'll have to be a glass one because the plastic will melt. I even have a glass Turkey Baster to get the solvent out of the can into the applicator bottle.

4 more posts until the split. Maybe this next chapter will include the woodwork.
Old 08/21/2006, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I'd use 1/4" AcryLite FF (extruded) for the sump. You'll need a needle tip appicator too. The rest of the information about how to build it is on my site. Are you going to make the top flange as well?
Melev ,I would like to thank you , the info you have on your website is excellent I know this is off subject but I just stumbled upon this thread by accident here's my sump thanks to you
There's mor in my gallery thanks again.
Old 08/21/2006, 08:09 PM

Using a syringe would be very tough because you would have to refill during a glue up. I Think that wiould be a mistake. Should have ordered it when you ordered the glue!!
Old 08/21/2006, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
Using a syringe would be very tough because you would have to refill during a glue up. I Think that wiould be a mistake. Should have ordered it when you ordered the glue!!
Your right I wouldn't recommend using a turkey syringe ,had an applicator but it got clogged too impatient to wait for another one but it worked fine you just had too be quick water tested it same day no problems wouldn't t recommend that either but I was working in 95+ temps
Old 08/21/2006, 09:20 PM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=911950